Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 Book "Yoga Sutras of Patanjali..." - the best one?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

anij_u

Estonia
5 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2013 :  5:15:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
There are many different translation of the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali.
Which one is the best (easy to read and understand)?

BillinL.A.

USA
375 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2013 :  8:37:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I like this site anij because they give commentary that I can understand at least some of :

http://www.swamij.com/index-yoga-me...a-sutras.htm
Go to Top of Page

dwizzle36

USA
9 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2013 :  2:43:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am fond of Baba Hari Dass' interpretation.
Go to Top of Page

SwamiX

USA
35 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2013 :  5:35:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Bryant's new translation and commentary is excellent. His grasp of the
history and the traditional commentaries is quite impressive

http://www.amazon.com/The-Yoga-Sutr...p/0865477361
Go to Top of Page

dwizzle36

USA
9 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2013 :  12:42:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I also second SwamiX's reco. That one is outstanding as well and Edwin Bryant is an authentic yogi, IMO. And as a scholar, simply mind blowing. You could probably sit in on his lectures at Rutgers if anyone is ever in that area. He seems to be an excellent example of a human being.
Go to Top of Page

whippoorwill

USA
450 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2014 :  8:12:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm really impressed with "The Secret Power of Yoga: A Woman's Guide to the Heart and Spirit of the Yoga Sutras." It isn't as much a translation as a re-interpretation of Patanjali's Yoga Sutras. Although women are the intended audience, it might be interesting and worthwhile to male readers as well.
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2014 :  10:13:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by SwamiX

Bryant's new translation and commentary is excellent.

Glad to see you and dwizzle give it high marks. I've had it for months, but haven't finished the introduction. Maybe I will tackle it soon
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000