Building a Daily Practice with Self-Pacing
 Timing meditation into twelve-hour shift pattern
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jack

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2013 :  5:53:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jack's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I work for the ambulance service on the telephone.

Twelve hour shifts. Two days, two nights, four days off.
It's a half hour bike ride to work, I usually leave home at about 05:15 to get to work on time.

Day 1 - Work 06:00 - 18:00
Day 2 - Work 06:00 - 18:00
Day 3 - Work 18:00 - 06:00
Day 4 - WOrk 18:00 - 06:00
Day 5, 6, 7, 8 - off

I'm struggling to keep a regular routine at all. How would you time it with shifts like that? After I get home, I literally have a glass of milk/small meal and pass out until work the next day.

Any advice appreciated.

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2013 :  1:58:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jack,

when I asked Christie about when to practice in the evening considering that I got home after work tired and hungry,his reply was to meditate first, then lay down, then eat and after that go for a walk to help the digestion.

However in your case you might have to adapt it, I don't know.

Go to Top of Page

adishivayogi

USA
197 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2014 :  8:05:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
ive worked over 100 hours a week and am about to be going back into that type of lifestyle. i don't plan on it getting in the way of my sadhana as i have always gotten it done before.
Go to Top of Page

Chakburthi

Germany
35 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2014 :  12:12:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am constantly traveling around the world through different time zones, so I appreciate your challenges. My couple of suggestions are: (a) working shifts like this is unhealthy and somehow inhumane. I also think this lifestyle results in mood swings and even can cause depressions. You may consider, if at all possible, to find a different job.
(b) Possibly you could try to have two shorter sessions, let's say 30 min total time each including rest during your regular days, but on your four free days you may be able to incorporate a full routine plus a solo retreat on a couple of days.

However, this approach has not been verified here, it is just what I would probably try to do...
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2014 :  01:05:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I would suggest that you meditate only on your days off and cultivate your bhakti during the hours of your work which is already an excellent form of service. During working hours be Aware and pour compassion into this service you are doing. That is as good if not better than sitting practices (imo)

Sey
Go to Top of Page

NoDogma

USA
123 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2014 :  06:38:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Although twice a day practice is most recommended, if on some days you can't do it then you can do just few SBP's even at work (even while standing). No need to be in Siddhasana for doing this. It can be done sitting in a chair. That keeps the continuation. I believe this is mentioned somewhere in the lessons but I use the word 'believe' because I am not sure.

Edited by - NoDogma on Feb 04 2014 08:21:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

Anima

484 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2014 :  08:02:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jack,

Sounds tough... Hang in there. You will find what works best.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000