Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Inhaling with Ujjayi.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Monkey

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2013 :  09:33:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Monkey's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

I'm having some difficulty regarding opening the throat more than usual during inhalation when using ujjayi. The first lesson on this states:

"On the inhalations, allow the throat to relax and open more than usual. Do not restrict the air coming in. Rather, allow the deepest part of your throat to open wide, comfortably."

How does one open the throat more than usual? Another lesson also states how this will stimulate the brain stem. I've tried various things, but I don't know what they are actually doing to the throat and how to find out.

Can anyone help? Any instructions how to open the throat more than usual? How one knows it's being done correctly?

Thanks,

Giles.

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2013 :  10:34:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Monkey

How does one open the throat more than usual?

Yawn and see how the throat feels (you are breathing in and opening your throat more during a yawn)... that is how it has to feel when breathing in during Ujjayi... well close to that, as you will have your mouth closed... but you will get an idea of what "open your throat more" feels like.
Does this help?
Go to Top of Page

BillinL.A.

USA
375 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2013 :  12:37:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Slightly imagining the incoming breath making the sound of "awwwww" helps me expand my throat during ujjayi.

I like the yawn too Shanti I never tried that before.
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2013 :  4:10:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbQw...TkWl_ADVgEQl

From 1:35 to 2:30 he explains Ujjaji (contraction of the throat while exhaling and expansion while inhaling). You can try to feel the cold in your throat while inhaling with the mouth open. But that is just to get the feeling. The correct practice is done with the mouth closed
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2013 :  8:35:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Imagining yawning, but not as exaggerated, is what I've also always practiced. It must have been mentioned somewhere in the books or lessons. I somehow doubt it is a coincidence that Shanti also said it. Actual yawning very often happens during SBP for me, though the body doesn't mind whether on inhale or exhale. Don't think there's any need to work against it on exhale with the restriction in the cases where it coincides, since it is revitalizing and calming, while on inhale it fits right in.
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2013 :  05:19:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
And don't sweat the little details on whether you are getting it right perfectly. Chill. In the long run, it will all just flow.

Sey
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000