AYPsite.org Forum
 Yoga, Science and Philosophy
 A sign of the times?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2013 :  03:28:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Look at this conference happening NOW! It shows how far we have come! It's a growing awareness everywhere!

"Origin and purpose of the symposium

The Mind and Life Europe Symposium for Contemplative Studies is a response to the increased need for scientific researchers and contemplative experts to interact and network with each other. This meeting is the culmination of a year-long collaborative effort between individuals and institutions. It is aimed at advancing the emerging field of contemplative studies."

http://www.europeansymposium.org/

This is a new institution in Sweden, at Karolinska Institute. Progress!!!

http://ki.se/ki/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=45637&l=en

Edited by - emc on Oct 11 2013 03:31:44 AM

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2013 :  07:57:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree emc, to my mind, there are so many signs of a change, a movement toward a marriage of science and non-duality/spiritual truth.

In fact, the science and nonduality conference is one other source:

http://scienceandnonduality.com/

"Nonduality is the philosophical, spiritual, and scientific understanding of non-separation and fundamental intrinsic oneness.

For thousand of years, through deep inner inquiry, philosophers and sages have came to the realization that there is only one substance and we are therefore all part of it. This substance can be called Awareness, Consciousness, Spirit, Advaita, Brahman, Tao, Nirvana or even God. It is constant, ever present, unchangeable and is the essence of all existence.

In the last century Western scientists are arriving at the same conclusion: The universe does indeed comprise of a single substance, presumably created during the Big Bang, and all sense of being - consciousness - subsequently arises from it. This realization has ontological implications for humanity: fundamentally we are individual expressions of a single entity, inextricably connected to one another, we are all drops of the same ocean.

Science and Nonduality is a journey, an exploration of the nature of awareness, the essence of life from which all arises and subsides."
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2013 :  08:22:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Great stuff emc, good to see Mark Williams as one of the speakers, which will be on mindfulness. All we need now is yourself up there for AYP
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2013 :  08:34:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi emc,

Thanks very much for sharing this, and I agree, wholeheartedly!

Here's the main website for the Mind and Life Institute -- lots of great information, there.

With all the challenges and conflict we all see in the world around us, it's sometimes easy to forget that advances in consciousness, peace and quality of life are actually out-pacing all the challenges and conflict around the world in tangible, measurable ways.

I recently learned of an amazing and impressive individual, Jan Egeland, who has worked with the United Nations for decades, helping to resolve some of the world's most major conflicts.

In his book (which I highly recommend) A Billion Lives , he points out that in every measurable way, the world - i.e. humankind - is becoming healthier, more peaceful, more educated and less intent on killing each other in large numbers (i.e. there are fewer wars).

"It is not true that the world is getting worse. It is getting better for a clear majority of us. In my 30 years of visiting and working in disaster and war zones around the globe I have seen how slowly, but surely there is 50 percent less war and half the number of refugees in 2008 compared to when the Cold War ended twenty years ago."
~Jan Egeland

Here's Jan Egeland with more on that, in a brief YouTube video. I love his attitude and his energy (i.e. karma yoga comes in many forms; so does bhakti. )

Which all also reminds me of a bumper-sticker axiom I saw posted on the wall at the retreat center in New Jersey where we held our first NJ retreat, a few years ago:

HUMANKIND: BE BOTH

And, as may go without saying (but I'll say it anyway ) it is practices and other consciousness-related activities (i.e. the symposiums you linked to, emc ) that enable us to learn and do the things that help us to be both fully Human and fully Kind, more naturally and easily.

Go to Top of Page

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2013 :  08:39:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Kirtanman, this is so inspiring.
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2013 :  09:04:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Mr. Anderson (and again to emc for starting this topic ).

quote:
Originally posted by mr_anderson

I agree emc, to my mind, there are so many signs of a change, a movement toward a marriage of science and non-duality/spiritual truth.

In fact, the science and nonduality conference is one other source:

http://scienceandnonduality.com/

The SAND (Science and Nonduality) conference has posted a lot of great videos in various places, and has created a very interesting synergy between those primarily in the field of science, and those primarily in the field of nonduality.

This is because SAND is about far more than saying "Hey, science agrees with nonduality!" (referring to the reality of oneness, and not philosophies of nonduality) -- it's about, per the pragmatic truth underlying all scientific and spiritual progress, the reality that increased clarity and improved tools facilitate better living for humankind in myriad ways, under any label (science, nonduality, or anything else).

What we call "science" does so for collective humanity and what we call nonduality (or oneness, as Yogani terms it) does so in terms of opening individual subjectivity past the illusions of separation which block our inherent oneness with each other and with all.

“Body and mind, our skin, can no longer be used to define the boundary of our self. We are all connected with nature, with billions of people. Could it be this illusory image of our self as separate beings that is keeping us in this perpetual state of anxiety, scarcity, fear, dissatisfaction – leaving us as a society in this very delicate point in evolution with the current ecological, economic and social crisis?”
~Maurizio Benazzo, founder of the Science and Nonduality Conference, in the video What Is The Self?

That quote syncs up perfectly, in my view, with some things Yogani wrote long back regarding the overall intent of AYP -- which is to make a contribution to the spiritual / neurobiological evolution of humanity.

Here's a great video from SAND conference founder Maurizio Benazzo, which articulates that overall message, along with some cool visuals.

Video: What Is The Self?

Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2013 :  09:08:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by mr_anderson

Thanks Kirtanman, this is so inspiring.

Thanks, Mr. Anderson - you are most welcome, as always.

And thank you and emc for starting topics that inspire me to post (it's all always mutual, as I'm fond of saying -- mostly because it's so true. )

I haven't posted a lot in recent times, but these topics started by both you and emc speak to aspects of life that I'm drawn to -- and so, I'm grateful, too.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000