Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 Is there really such a thing as time?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2013 :  3:06:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Is there really such a thing as time, and future, or are those things merely notions which only ever arise Now?

A simple, short, non-intellectual, experiment based on looking at your direct experience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-fWCElyTYI&feature

Recommend then sitting or lying down for 20 minutes or so and really trying hard to find this thing called 'time', except as a thought which occurs Now.

Arjuna

USA
69 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2013 :  08:12:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been pondering this topic also. I cannot comprehend it. So for the moment, I hypothesize that the "thinking mind" is not the correct tool, but rather we must experience it.... whatever "it" is

Sometimes, during very quiet moments, I have an inkling of experience that the past, present and future all occur simultaneously..but it is impossible for me to mentally comprehend.
Go to Top of Page

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2013 :  09:06:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
As concentration ability increases from meditation, and mind gets stiller, its been my experience that the illusion of linear time becomes experientially increasingly transparent. You can see how everything is just arising now :)

If you just lie down and pay very close attention to Now, intense focus on it, you can experience this.
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2013 :  2:54:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks VERY Much for this!

It would be difficult to overstate the potential power and importance of this video series --- I highly recommend it to all.

Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2013 :  4:40:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by mr_anderson

A simple, short, non-intellectual, experiment based on looking at your direct experience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-fWCElyTYI&feature

Thanks for this link Josh!

I found some of the language confusing in the video, Time Out! #1 - Does A Future Really Lie Ahead?, but for me the use of language was quite clear in, Time Out! #5 - "But It's So Hard To Live In The Present". Indeed the teaching was directly facilitative of a perceptible shift in my relationship to the "Now" or to what we call "unshakable inner silence"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7WYxLXFvjU

I highly recommend it.

Edited by - bewell on Oct 02 2013 4:42:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2013 :  5:47:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh wow, thanks Be. I'm going to check that out. I didn't watch the whole series yet. Peter's new book Simply Notice recently came out http://peterdziuban.com/simply-notice/

I've found contemplating his writing has created some deep shifts in the past. Although, sometimes I don't completely get his language either.

Simply Notice guides you on an experiential adventure into the very awareness, consciousness you are now aware of being.

You start by noticing simple things—one page at a time—about yourself, the world, and Life itself. It’s like taking a self-guided tour of your Self. False beliefs are dropped, and incredible discoveries are made about how Life really works. You can’t avoid enjoying a life of clearer awareness in everyday living—but the power of noticing takes you even further.

You see that the very consciousness you are now aware of being is not body-bound, but is unlimited, and actually includes or embraces the entire universe. It becomes clear that Life is magnificent far beyond what we’ve been taught to believe. Simply Notice enables you to experience all of this, rather than merely reading theories about it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000