Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Yoga, Science and Philosophy
 Subconscious mind maps to Objective Reality...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2013 :  11:27:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Many traditions say that one should focus inwardly and then at deeper levels go on to say things like "the inner and the outer are the same". This is because all that is and can be perceived is an aspect of "mind". The Lankavatara Sutra describes it well...

Then Mahamati the Bodhisattva-Mahasattva spoke to the Blessed One, saying: You speak of the erroneous views of the philosophers, will you please tell us of them, that we may be on our guard against them?

The Blessed One replied, saying: Mahamati, the error in these erroneous teachings that are generally held by the philosophers lies in this: they do not recognize that the objective world rises from the mind itself; they do not understand that the whole mind-system also arises from the mind itself; but depending upon these manifestations of the mind as being real they go on discriminating them, like the simple-minded ones that they are, cherishing the dualism of this and that, of being and non-being, ignorant to the fact that there is but one common Essence.

On the contrary, my teaching is based upon recognition that the objective world, like a vision, is a manifestation of the mind itself; it teaches the cessation of ignorance, desire, deed and casualty; it teaches the cessation of suffering that arises from the discriminations of the triple world.

The term "mind" is probably better described as universal/shared mind of all sentient beings in the above context. For most people, the "conscious" mind focuses only on the perceptions of the local body-mind. Broader aspects of objective reality are components of what is commonly called the "subconscious" parts of the mind. Meditation and practices help one to let go of the issues and fears in our subconscious that act as obstructions to us noticing the deeper components of universal mind.

Each person's conscious mind is a subset of the broader universal shared mind. In simple terms, all humans share lower depths of the subconscious mind. Things like "astral travel" are possible because the person has begun to break down the obstructions between the perceived local body-mind and the broader universal mind.

Clear out the attachments, fears and obstructions in your mind and you will move beyond philosophical theory; you will realize that the inner and the outer is the same.

Best wishes on your path.

Edited by - jeff on Jun 25 2013 3:36:37 PM

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2013 :  11:48:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nicely put
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2013 :  09:02:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the kind words Mr. Anderson.

Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2013 :  8:47:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by jeff

Each person's conscious mind is a subset of the broader universal shared mind.

Fantastic sentence. If I was a brave man, I would get it tattooed on my chest, but alas I am a coward. But seriously, I really like that description (and the Bodhisattva story you quoted as well) because it portrays reality as multi-layered and unified, rather than being binary, on/off, awake/not-awake. It's all just a united hologram projecting individual holograms. Some of the individual holograms are more aware of their connection to the whole, that's all.

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2013 :  11:55:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Bodhi Tree

Fantastic sentence. If I was a brave man, I would get it tattooed on my chest, but alas I am a coward. But seriously, I really like that description (and the Bodhisattva story you quoted as well) because it portrays reality as multi-layered and unified, rather than being binary, on/off, awake/not-awake. It's all just a united hologram projecting individual holograms. Some of the individual holograms are more aware of their connection to the whole, that's all.

Thank you.

Very well said... multi-layed and unified...

But, if one prefers... It is possible to just hang out on that mountain top and not worry about the integration thing...

Thank you.

Edited by - jeff on Jun 28 2013 3:58:27 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000