Tantra - A Holistic View of Spiritual Development
 Pranayama after sex?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DoctorWho

USA
47 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2013 :  4:50:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

Not sure if I should have posted this here or the Tantra thread. But since I'm only beginning to dip my toe into the Tantra concepts I figured this was more Pranayama related.

I'm a married man. The morning after sex I can really notice the feeling of depletion or lower energy when I sit down to practice. I never used to notice this but after a year of practicing DM and SB I've become much more aware of my energy...not to mention much more concerned about how I use it.

This sounds stupid but I feel like I should skip my usual SB practice and give myself time to replenish. It's almost like there's nothing there to work with and I'm trying to force the 'machinery' so to speak. It doesn't feel quite right. Like driving a car without any oil in the engine...I need to put it a few quarts haha!

My guess is that this is just a silly mental construct on my part. But again, it feels weird...like shifting gears too fast (what's with the car analogies??) Any guys out there feel this contrast as well? And should I take a day off of SB, drink a bunch of O.J, eat veggies and replenish ...or jump right back in?

Thanks All!

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2013 :  4:54:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

BillinL.A.

USA
375 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2013 :  7:21:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I definitely feel less energy after sex for a couple days DoctorWho.

But sometimes the practices are easier then because of less stress. Usually there's less light though during Yoni Mudra Kumbhaka which I just love and get lots of motivation from.

I seek out sunshine to get reinvigorated in addition to eating good.

Go to Top of Page

DoctorWho

USA
47 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2013 :  9:16:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks BillinL.A.

I'm starting to get an acute desire to cultivate my energy as I progress on the spiritual path. My wife and I have always had a great sex life...even after 14 years...and consider ourselves lucky. But here I am, progressing nicely with the AYP lessons and finding less of a desire for sex.

I've always been into spiritual practice...my wife not so much. After many years of talking about and acquainting her with what I do, I've finally got her into joining me in DM. She digs it thus far. As I learn more from Yogani's wonderfully simple and concise explanations of Tantra I hope to introduce her to the possibilities and unify a practice together. Baby steps. Being a married yogi has it's potential pitfalls and misunderstandings if you know what I mean

Thanks for the response.

Edited by - DoctorWho on Mar 27 2013 2:02:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2013 :  11:33:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
IMO, if you are a married yogi with a great sex life of 14 years, and your wife is joining you in meditation, then by all means you would benefit from tantric sex, especially now that you are sensitive to the energies and aware of the depletion which results from conventional sex. You and your wife are in an ideal situation to enjoy this together.
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2013 :  04:05:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I totally agree with you on the diminished effects of pranayama after sexual orgasm, and the same with meditation. My general rule is that I don't like to skip a day of pranayama practice, but if it feels off or the energy doesn't flow I might do a half practice and call it a day. Also, the only days that I feel are OK to skip meditation are those after sexual orgasm. It just feels that at that time my consciousness just doesn't want to internalize that way, so sometimes I let it go for a day. Sometimes not, but I try not to make a big deal about it. That said, maybe one should be more disciplined during the earlier phases of practice so as to ingrain the habit. After some years you can be more flexible because the habit is already deep.
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2013 :  12:17:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
No doubt the effects are strong on everything, not just pranayama. Lesson T46 does make a valid point with good practical implications: "The long tantric cultivations of sexual energy before orgasm will more than make up for it."

I couldn't find the exact lesson I had in mind, but it really pointed to the same thing, that the tantric yoga you engage in the days or weeks before have a positive effect on when you decide it is time to reset the cycle (at least, for beginners; I don't know what the potential of vajroli is). Give it a try if you have not yet (seeing that you're only getting into tantra), and it might be surprising to find yourself the following morning to feel particularly refreshed, with the practices going smoother than usual.
Go to Top of Page

DoctorWho

USA
47 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2013 :  2:00:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the replies and the encouragement! I have benefited from reading your posts on other threads and it's great to get these perspectives. I will be posing some more questions in the Tantra forum soon as I am getting ready to delve into this totally new world and have LOTS of questions bouncing around in my head. Stay tuned...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000