Yoga, Science and Philosophy
 Best type, of yoga.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Robertnnd

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2013 :  01:41:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Well can anyone, tell me what the good type of yoga is to start off with? I have never done, any yoga before but I've heard there are lots of different styles.So i want to know all your opinions and suggestions so please share here.

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2013 :  01:46:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, Robert, AYP is an excellent place to start.

Go to Key Lessons - here.

http://www.aypsite.org/10.html

Life is about to get exciting ! Good luck!

Sey
Go to Top of Page

rockys

India
1 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2013 :  02:34:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit rockys's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You can go through the article given here http://www.thesecretsofyoga.com/Yog...rticles.html or

Alternatively watch yoga videos on youtube.
Go to Top of Page

HappinessForYou

India
9 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2013 :  06:45:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit HappinessForYou's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
you should start up with yoga for beginners some basic yoga.
Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2013 :  10:21:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
We are all here because of Yogani's teaching and how they affect our lives. If you are looking for the more physical side then a studio near you would be best. If you are looking for more. Then AYP is pretty amazing.

Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2193 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2013 :  12:28:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm finding value in both meditation and asanas for body mind spirit. Sample the buffet mindful not to overstuff your plate!
Go to Top of Page

adishivayogi

USA
197 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2013 :  3:15:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
kriya yoga, shambavi mahamudra
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2015 :  9:03:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I started asana with Iyengar yoga, related to Hatha.

I meditated (Transcendental Meditation) before that, then changed to DM, then added spinal breathing pranayama.
Go to Top of Page

ak33

Canada
229 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2015 :  12:19:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What do you want to achieve with your spiritual practice? Tell us that and we can prescribe a suitable practice.
Go to Top of Page

kaivalyayoga

India
3 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2016 :  02:49:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit kaivalyayoga's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
First of all decide what type of Yoga best Suits you. Example -  Bhakti or Gnana or Karma or Kriya or Hatha etc. Each has a different path but finally accomplish the same goal.

Purpose of Yoga is to get Unite.. Unite Atma (Soul) with Paramatma (God)... Choose the best type and go by that.
Go to Top of Page

Nguyen Hai Dang

Vietnam
2 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2017 :  08:05:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
you should consult yoga in Yoga class. It's the best way for learning
Go to Top of Page

Chard

250 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2017 :  2:53:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Robertnnd! Welcome! I think these are all really great responses. I'm also a fan of one on one instruction when you first begin yoga to really tune in to your own body's needs and issues. Otherwise just finding a good old beginners class in your local community is a good start. I think Yin yoga is good and also even restorative yoga are good optionsBest to you!
Go to Top of Page

BerythaBeasley

USA
1 Posts

Posted - May 30 2018 :  06:15:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What are the specific benefits of yoga?
I am going to be starting yoga tomorrow. I was hoping some of the benefits would be it would help me loose weight, loose this paunch in my tummy area, slim my thighs, help me get pregnant, and improve my depression and anxiety. If not, what are the other benefits of yoga. I have bought a beginner DVD, a dvd for yoga for weight loss, a yoga block with belts for stretching, and I have a mat. What else do I need to know? Is there other sites out there that I can watch other classes or browse some information for yoga? Thanks so much!
Go to Top of Page

yo_gi

Germany
47 Posts

Posted - May 31 2018 :  08:00:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi BerythaBeasley

In my opinion there is actually nothing out there that cannot be addressed by yoga, as yoga can shift our perspective or relation to the problem/issue whatever that may be. Concerning your specific points of loosing weight and change of body-shape - yoga has a beneficial influence on our overall lifestyle including eating habits. Yoga can also improve neurobiological -chemical as well as endocrinological imbalances and therefore be helpful regarding depression, anxiety and the possibility to become pregnant. Furthermore it can help you to accept if something does not turn out as desired. What else to know?... well, of course you find a lot of content on the aypsite.com if you haven't had a look yet, then I would advice to start here :

https://www.aypsite.com/10.html

In fact, there you can find everything you need. A progressive, safe and encompassing system of yoga practices.

Hope that helps and all the best

Edited by - yo_gi on May 31 2018 6:41:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - May 31 2018 :  1:16:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey BB,

I would add walking as well for depression and weight loss.

If you could go to some type of yoga asana class, that would be beneficial. You don't want to create a habit of ineffective postures.

Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - May 31 2018 :  7:20:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by BerythaBeasley

What are the specific benefits of yoga?

Hi BB,

It might be contra-intuitive, but have you considered meditation? It is the practice at the very core of yoga, and it allows a personal transformation from the inside. You seem exactly the person interested in a life-changing course. It you think about this, it makes sense: As things get better inside, you feel better, and everything else becomes easier - life becomes less of a struggle.

Deep meditation is an easy technique to learn. Start reading here, and give it a try for two weeks. Meditate every day, twice a day, for 20 minutes each time. After two weeks, you could re-evaluate and decide if you want to continue.

To learn about yoga, start reading the main lessons on this website, one or two every morning. You will get a lot of practical and teoretical knowledge, and you will soon know more about yoga than most yoga instructors.

Looking forward to hearing from you. Best wishes.
Blanche

Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2018 :  06:29:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
BB,

Something unsaid is that Yoga as a general term includes meditation, pranayama, physical practices, and 5 other disciplines. If you take a Yoga class in an American adult education program, fitness center, or YMCA you will usually get a focus on one of the physical disciplines, usually based on Hatha yoga. As an example I do Iyengar yoga along with pranayama and DM as defined on this site.

Yoga here is presented as a means for spiritual development, in a manageable sequence of brief lessons. In my experience it has helped me a lot with mental and emotional health and skills. As a male I don't know if it has helped me with potency (and I'm clueless about how it could help a woman with fertility), and I have usually been more motivated to watch and reduce my weight.

Physical asana practice Iyengar-style is good for improving strength, balance, and coordination. The strenuous twists and stretches are helped by flexibility, but mainly they are isometric exercises. It's the strength of your legs and back that achieves the vertical and seated postures, and your strength that pulls your body into twists and other stretches, remaining internally aware of actual limitations where injury is possible. Becoming aware of this point is an emphasis in Iyengar-style training. The goal always is to make an improvement, not necessarily to maintain all the tricky details of the poses but to attempt them as much as possible.

This in itself is a major exercise in focused attention, because many of the instructions are contradictory! Other poses are weight-bearing, which increase your physical strength throughout your body. Improved strength allows improved execution of balancing positions (tree pose, i.e. standing on one leg like a tree), which involve a unique kind of concentration and mental focus themselves.

Been said that Iyengar yoga unifies your mind and fragments your body, as you learn that there are so many different parts to be aware of and at times to control. In Iyengar's books he teaches pranayama and meditation, as well as the physical aspect.

There are many systems of Yoga. Here the focus is on AYP.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000