AYPsite.org Forum
 Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 Jewish Mysticism?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2013 :  5:00:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Dear friends,

I am wondering if there is a book out there that deals with jewish mysticism... Something similar to autobiography of a yogi or the life of sheikh al Alawi... An autobiographical or a biographical book with first hand accounts from someone who has tasted the fruits of the way and succeeded in its' sadhana... A book in which you could smell the perfume of the path...

Would appreciate any recommendations...

Love,
Ananda

wigswest

USA
115 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2013 :  9:25:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ananda, you might want to check out this yahoo group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Kabba...Esotericism/

It's really just one guy, Mark, who posts occasional reading material and links on jewish mysticism and ecstatic practices. You actually might want to ask him your question - I'm betting he'd be able to steer you to many resources (he's amazingly knowledgeable, and quite nice) :-)

Gayle
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2013 :  03:13:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Gayle... I'll check it out now...

Love,
Ananda
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2013 :  07:18:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ananda,

Thank you for your question. This morning I awoke in the night, my heart full with many reflections on Jewish mystical themes as I have encountered them in my journey here in Baltimore, Maryland, USA, 1999-2013. I have great love for the many Jewish people who have welcomed me, and fed me, shared wisdom with me, and included me in their religious life, as well as in their spiritual exploration of other religious and spiritual traditions, including Christianity and yoga: May God bless them.

The great Jewish mystical text is the Zohar, a mystical commentary on the Torah. For four years I had a weekly meeting with a Jewish woman with a Masters degree in Jewish Studies who read her scriptures in Hebrew, and during the time she knew me, got seriously involved in reading Zohar in the original Aramaic to the extent that she is assisting another scholar in creating the first English - Zohar Aramaic dictionary. In our weekly meetings, she and I would read a Psalm, then meditate silently for twenty minutes (I did DM), then discuss as the spirit moved. Sometimes she shared stories from the Zohar.

In the Zohar, there is an ongoing narrative of mystics who walk together, and talk about the Torah "on the way." Often they meet saints along the way, exchange insights them, when they depart, and they remember the encounter with such emotion that they roll on the ground and cry. They do not realize the full power of the encounter until afterward. Can you feel that energy? They cry together, then they get back up, and walk and talk about the Torah.

One of the contemporary Jewish mystical authors my friend introduced me to is Kushner, who is very prolific, but I started here:

http://www.amazon.com/God-Was-This-...is+place+and

-----

I am no longer doing jail yoga as I have chosen to move on to other things. May all our students and all the persons doing jail yoga be blessed. The leader of the jail yoga, who got me into it, grew up Jewish, and he had an Orthodox Rabbi friend, who had us over for Sadar together once. There are many beautiful teaching that we shared, but there is one that is particularly memorable: the question of a link between Abraham and Brahma as discussed in part here:
http://glasso.proweblog.com/archive...08/12/19/11/
What struck me was the Rabbi's openness to making connections. He also gave really sincere hugs and had a great laugh.

----

Recently, I was at a Spira non-duality retreat here in Maryland which was at a retreat center that was Jewish. The other retreat groups were overtly Jewish, the staff was largely Jewish, and the meals were Kosher. May they all be blessed. One of the staff members was a young man who was very well educated, deeply spiritual and he worked in the garden. He was also a friend of a friend, and we were very quickly in deep rapport. I asked him about how Jewish tradition related to non-duality. It was after the retreat had ended, and I was lingering on the retreat grounds that he shared this with me. It is a profound teaching, and I feel tears coming to my eyes as I recall receiving it. So I can say something of what happened, but the truth of it is forever secret. Mystic paradox, you know:

In Hebrew scriptures it is written, "The Lord, Our God, the Lord is one." The word for "one" in Hebrew is Ahod. The word Ahod can mean without division -- there is no division in God. And my friend said that we can practice dwelling in undivided reality by thinking of pronouncing the word, "Ahod" aloud, but stopping before the first sound of the first syllable of Ahad. And he stood there before me looking into my eyes voicing the unvoiced first breath of the word "Ahad," his jaw dropped.

Edited by - bewell on Mar 23 2013 09:29:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2013 :  10:02:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
So beautiful, Bewell.. Happy tears..

Much love to you.
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2013 :  4:43:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for sharing dear Bewell... I will take a second review of your post later and dig into it...

Love,
Ananda
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000