Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 Srimad Bhagavatam
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Omsat

Belgium
267 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2013 :  03:01:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message

Hi everyone..

For those of you who have read the Srimad Bhagavatam, would you share which translation/interpretation (author, reference)?
Would be nice to hear your experience with reading also if you like to share.

Thank you!

Sat

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2013 :  10:47:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Omsat,

The Bhagavatam is one of my favorite texts. Have you tried Ramesh Menon's "Bhagavata Purana"? I see it is now also available on Kindle (yay!). Love his style! His renditions (of Ramayana, Mahabharata, Shiva Purana, etc) remain true to the original texts for the most part.

The Bhagavatam I have is a Sanskrit version with English transliteration/translation and commentary. No matter what the version, it is one text that I can't read for long without crying, previously with longing and now with joy. Very heart-opening. The story of how Vyaasa came to write it is very telling of the spiritual path. Even after writing the Bhagavad Gita (considered the cream of the Upanishads) and transcribing the Vedas, this great sage did not feel complete. Legend goes that Lord Vishnu directed him to write this, a text dripping not just with wisdom but pure love.

This story is of course an allegory to the natural evolution that happens in us - even after the crown opens and there is dawning of higher wisdom, the ultimate knowledge of one's true self can intuit only in the heart. What Yogani calls the final stage of enlightenment - divine outpouring love.

Hope you enjoy it!

Go to Top of Page

Omsat

Belgium
267 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2013 :  3:35:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Kumi,

Oh, you make me long to start reading the Bhagavatam so much now!

Thank you dearly for praising the Work with the heartfelt openings you experienced as well as sharing the interpretation that you love.

I have not read any rendition yet. A few months ago, while I was travelling, a desire arose to know more about Krishna's life and Teachings. I met a friend who recommended me to read the Bhagavatam. I did not find a copy then and left it so for a while. Until recently the desire emerged again owing to some happy circumstances.
My question was for a large part aimed at deciding upon a version that would be most inspiring to me. As I practice mainly yogani's teachings and love the openness of his spiritual perspectives it is very natural to ask here on this forum..
The other part was a curiousity as to whether some (if any) fellow ayp practitioners have experienced this Work. The answer is a very bhakti-increasing YES :) Thank you Kami!

If more people would like to share, please do! :)

Sat

quote:
Originally posted by kami

Hi Omsat,

The Bhagavatam is one of my favorite texts. Have you tried Ramesh Menon's "Bhagavata Purana"? I see it is now also available on Kindle (yay!). Love his style! His renditions (of Ramayana, Mahabharata, Shiva Purana, etc) remain true to the original texts for the most part.

The Bhagavatam I have is a Sanskrit version with English transliteration/translation and commentary. No matter what the version, it is one text that I can't read for long without crying, previously with longing and now with joy. Very heart-opening. The story of how Vyaasa came to write it is very telling of the spiritual path. Even after writing the Bhagavad Gita (considered the cream of the Upanishads) and transcribing the Vedas, this great sage did not feel complete. Legend goes that Lord Vishnu directed him to write this, a text dripping not just with wisdom but pure love.

This story is of course an allegory to the natural evolution that happens in us - even after the crown opens and there is dawning of higher wisdom, the ultimate knowledge of one's true self can intuit only in the heart. What Yogani calls the final stage of enlightenment - divine outpouring love.

Hope you enjoy it!

Edited by - Omsat on Feb 04 2013 3:43:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2013 :  02:01:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i have never read Srimad Bhagavatam ...it seems very intresting but also very long and symbolic/complicated...every day i am inceasingly glad and grateful to have found ayp and Yogani's writting beacuse all the stages of Yoga are summarized in a simple plain english and very down to earth way
Go to Top of Page

Omsat

Belgium
267 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2013 :  09:21:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi kami,

I've been reading Ramesh Menon's Bhagavata Purana since a few weeks now..

Thank you for the excellent recommendation..

Omsat

quote:
Originally posted by kami

Hi Omsat,

Hope you enjoy it!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000