Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Question re spinal nerve
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

snake

United Kingdom
277 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2013 :  01:53:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Happy new year to everyone.

In tracing the spinal nerve the practice states to go to the centre of the head then curve forward to the mid eyebrow,should the imagined curve start just before reaching parallel Otherwise it will be more like a 90 degree angle and do you visualise the nerve going right to the mid eyebrow just behind the bone/skin.

I found going parallel to the mid eye point then back down without curving much easier to follow as the curve part breaks my continuity,so how important is it to imagine the curve in practice,is it to hit the mid eyebrow with attention thus stimulating the area?

Doesn't the spinal nerve in actuality go straight up to the crown?

I have gone over the relevant pages in the book and regarding the instruction the only part that confuses is where it states go oppoisite the brow then curve but if I am opposite it i can't curve it or it will go above the brow(maybe the brow is not a point but a bit larger area)?then it would make sense.

I realise I shouldn't worry too much about it and just do it and allow the real nerve to activate but having an inquisitive mind I have to ask ;)

Thankyou for reading and for any responses which are very welcome..

I forgot also I initially took the practice of following the nerve in the centre of the body to mean the centre but have heard Yogani mention that its within the spine which is at the back of the body is it not? Thanks again

Chris

Edited by - snake on Jan 08 2013 02:21:28 AM

snake

United Kingdom
277 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2013 :  02:29:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've just realised that I think Yogani means the centre of the back ie the spinal column not the centre viewed from the side.that makes sense now.;)
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2013 :  06:54:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Chris,

This is the relevant passage from lesson 41:

"Next, with each rising inhalation of the breath, allow your attention to travel upward inside a tiny thread, or tube, you visualize beginning at your perineum, continuing up through the center of your spine, and up through the stem of your brain to the center of your head. At the center of your head the tiny nerve makes a turn forward to the point between your eyebrows. With one slow, deep inhalation let your attention travel gradually inside the nerve from the perineum all the way to the point between the eyebrows. As you exhale, retrace this path from the point between the eyebrows all the way back down to the perineum."

So yes, it is up through the centre of your spine, which is touching your back. At the top of the spine you will need to curve forward slightly in order to come to the centre of your head, and then turn again to end at the point between your eyebrows.

As to the question of whether or not the spinal nerve actually goes up through the top of the head, that's more complex than it might seem at first. In reality it has a fork in it, with one branch of the fork going forward to ajna chakra between the eyebrows, and the other branch of the fork going up through the crown chakra. The point of separation is in the centre of the head.

But for the purposes of Spinal Breathing, we always follow the root to brow route. Later on in the lessons (lesson 199) there are guidelines for working with the branch of the sushumna (or brahma nadi) which goes up through the crown chakra.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

snake

United Kingdom
277 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2013 :  10:23:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
.perfect.thanks Christi.clear now
Chris
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2013 :  11:36:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Some pics:

http://media.sharecare.com/mediaIte...9588.jpg.jpg

http://www.pennmedicine.org/health_...s_corpus.jpg

As you see, the spinal nerve goes through the medulla oblongata to the center of the brain. From there follow straight through the pituary glands to the point between the eyebrows. The routing and the curve is pretty natural.

One more hint, the subtle channels are not limited to their anatomical placing in the physical body. As long as your intention is "through the central channel" and you know you are breathing through it while following the route the best you can, it is good practice. Over time with heightened subtle perception and increased concentration you will get to know the finer details of the practice.

All by its time,
happy practicing :)
Go to Top of Page

snake

United Kingdom
277 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2013 :  01:44:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Great pics ,thanks Holy

Edited by - snake on Jan 09 2013 02:08:56 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000