Yamas & Niyamas - Restraints & Observances
 Issue with Vegetarian
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2013 :  10:17:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
So I met two of the most amazing AYP members beginning of this month. What a great testimonial they both are to this site!

They both inspired me to change my diet to vegetarian

I have been doing this with ease, except my body is not liking it so much now

I think I am iron deficient, and feel v v weak, without red meat, esp around my time of the month. I know I cant keep it up, simplest tasks are feeling like a momentous effort to me.

I can't take iron supps because it affects me adversely; constipation.

Is there anything anyone can recommend?

Maybe not everyone is suited to being Vegetarian???

Thanks

Maria

Edited by - AYPforum on Jan 05 2013 12:25:56 PM

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2013 :  10:20:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
P.s. Been eating plenty of greens
Go to Top of Page

chas

USA
209 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2013 :  01:00:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Maria,

Contrary to popular belief, feeling weak or tired has nothing to do with a lack of flesh intake. Many people erroneously associate high protein animal foods such as meat, dairy, and eggs with high energy, as if protein was a good source of fuel. Protein is best for use as raw materials our body uses to build and repair. The first priority for fuel is carbohydrate. Every cell in the body runs on glucose. In order to utilize protein for cellular energy, polypeptide chains must first be broken down and the amino acids converted into glucose. However, this is an energy consuming process and it takes some time... It is normally used when there is a shortage of other types of energy (carbohydrate and fat). Of the three macronutrients, protein is the lowest priority for an energy source.

Many people tend to consume more dairy when switching to vegetarian. This can contribute to sluggishness. Whether a change in diet is due to ethical, health, or ecological concerns, you won't likely find improvement with dairy vs. meat.

In my experience, the best way to keep body energy levels high is to include high amounts of whole, fresh, ripe, raw, organic fruit, exercise daily, and get plenty of rest.

Iron recommendations are generally higher for vegetarians than non-vegetarians, but anemia rates are the same. The recommendations are likely higher because vegetarians tend to consume more grain. Grain contains lectins, phytates and other "anti-nutrients" which bind to some nutrients, including iron, making them unavailable. Other foods which decrease nutrient absorption similiarly are coffee & high oxalate vegetables such as spinach.

If you feel your iron levels are low, consider having it tested, and supplementing with high iron whole plant foods if necessary. There shouldn't be any reason to need to resort to animal sources for iron or any other nutrient. :-)

Edited by - chas on Jan 04 2013 02:44:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2013 :  02:03:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thank you chas!

I also suffer with low blood pressure, and iron deficiency can exacerbate

I eat quite a lot of carbs, but this lacklustre/weak feeling, accompanied by very achey lower back, hot ad cold flushes, slight headache, and light headedness is soooo prominent right now during my time of the month.

will try a carb right now and see how i go. I did have a couple of bites of steak (in my desperation to feel better) but got little appetite atm

This all coincided with my monthly.
Go to Top of Page

chas

USA
209 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2013 :  02:57:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You're welcome, Maria. Women do lose some iron during that time of the month, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. There is a theory going around that the reason women tend to live longer than men is because they accumulate less iron.
Iron is the universes double edged sword. Too little or too much is not good.

It is also the last element created in a star before it causes it to explode.

Edited by - chas on Jan 04 2013 03:02:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2013 :  07:56:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Maria,

Chas has given sound and wonderful advice and clearing of common misperceptions around diet! Low blood pressure and a crummy feeling can also result from not enough salt.. I certainly have this.. Like everything else, there are many misconstrued theories about salt - it is not bad for everyone, and can cause major deficiency related issues which cannot be differentiated from say, iron-deficiency anemia. Salt and carbs are required for water to "stick" to the interstitium (space between cells), internal hydration. Drinking tons of pure water with no salt is not of much benefit in dehydration.. Which is why we use isotonic saline intravenously, and why the WHO rehydration solution is a combination of water, salt and sugar.

Also, it is a myth that a vegetarian diet results in iron deficiency. Most people I know who are iron deficient are meat eaters. It isn't just the availability of iron in foods, but its absorption in the gut that makes the difference. Proper absorption of iron requires many other ingredients like enzymes, vitamin C, etc. The only time women in the child-bearing age become iron-deficient is if they have chronic menorrhagia, aka "heavy" periods. If you are indeed iron-deficient and cannot take regular iron due to constipation, I'd recommend an iron-polysaccharide compound (one such is called Niferex) along with Vitamin C. Works like a charm!

Having said this, if you are still having so much discomfort from a vegetarian diet, I'd say switch back to what's comfortable for you. There are no rights or wrongs in this

Love,
kami
Go to Top of Page

jamuna

Australia
104 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2013 :  8:05:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Maria,
If your eating a well balanced diet its unlikely your energy problems are coming from being a vegetarian. Perhaps even just the change is taking your body a little getting used to. You can always take in baby steps, like reducing red meat first (which in all honesty is more likely to leave you feeling lethargic after eating).

If you wanna rule out anemia you can visit the doc, you can get an iron injection that keeps iron levels up for several months without the side affects of capsules. My mum recently got one and was very happy with the result.

peace

:)
Go to Top of Page

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2013 :  01:39:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you so much Chas, Kami, and Jamuna

I have made an appointment with the doctor, to have my blood tests and then work from there.

This was a particularly severe affect this month, and don't want a repeat

Thank you @Kami for recommending the Niferix, will definitely check that out!

Thank you @chas. That is a v interesting theory about the longevity of life, and iron!

Thank you @Jamuna. I think I am eating a balanced diet. I haven't cut out fish yet though, so eating sardines, eggs and dairy products along with more veggies. :)

Go to Top of Page

Namath

350 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2013 :  11:22:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Maria,

I myself tried to adopt vegetarian diet few times in life and ended up having severe iron deficiency...But in my case,my body rejected beans,I would throw up every time I ate beans.

Few months after starting AYP practices,I experienced something very unpleasant after having few bites of chicken.My body went numb,I could feel like poison moving through my veins ,rapid heart beat & I could not stand on my feet.I had to lie down for two hours till all that subsided....to be honest I prefer iron deficiency to these sensations <kidding>

It might sound crazy but part of me feels that what I've been through might be similar to what the chicken felt before being slaughtered....

All the best in your vegetarian diet

[img]icon_heart.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2013 :  12:25:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2013 :  08:02:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Namath

so what did you do to address the iron deficiency?

Thanks for sharing!
Go to Top of Page

Namath

350 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2013 :  3:35:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
At that time,the doctor gave me some Iron tablets and asked me to eat meat and in particular chicken liver daily.

Sorry I said before beans where I meant legumes as well. /* this is what happens sometimes when you think in a language and write in another */

The thing is Before,I was living a very demanding lifestyle (physically and mentally) with work that could go up to 16 hours sometimes with lot of travelling...add to it my definition of entertaining was Gym,swimming and playing squash...etc

Within the last 3 years or so,the change in diet came with the change in life style,which is relatively relaxed compared to before.So When this time my body rejected meat...I tried again legumes little by little and everything is so fine.There's no need for meat & energy level is great << ESPECIALLY during women cycle>>.

You'll be great however I would tell you from personal experience never to impose a diet on your body,your body knows what's best for itself....you will shift to vegetarian when You only feel the time is right.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000