Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 Life of Pi anyone ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2012 :  11:27:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Great book and a great film. Very spiritual.

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2012 :  11:33:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by karl

Great book and a great film. Very spiritual.

Yes!! Fantastic book and the movie's cinematography is phenomenal. My kids loved it too. Was going to reference it in this thread but slipped my mind:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....PIC_ID=12265

Very beautiful unfolding in terms of ahimsa, surrender and expansion.

If you get a chance, do read about Yann Martel and his inspiration for the book.

Love!
Go to Top of Page

Swan

India
256 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2012 :  01:04:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes!! Seen the movie and loved it...

Towards the end when the boy says that the tiger has been a nemesis along the journey and at the same time, has been the reason behind the boy staying alive and surviving the 227 day journey – it reminded me the all challenges that life throws towards us, and taught that we better accept and face them, as they come to us only to make us take further step and complete our journey.

And when pi said to the surveyors that – “I know what you want. You want a story that won't surprise you. That will confirm what you already know. That won't make you see higher or further or differently.” I was like – Bravo!! You exposed the mind as what it is, that’s a lesson I will keep with myself.

Moreover it was a visual delight with all those effects
Overall, awesome
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2012 :  11:31:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just saw it. Absolutely uplifting and full of liberation. Thanks for posting this, Karl.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2012 :  07:30:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

SPOILERS : Please don't read if you haven't seen the film.!!

Do you think the tiger represents the mind. It was interesting how he wanted to make it a friend when he was younger and his father persuaded him it wasn't a good idea.

He tries isolating himself on the raft, he tries aggression, he tries to command it and in the end he just accepts it. When he does it wanders off by itself never to be seen again.
Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2012 :  09:04:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Do you think the tiger represents the mind. It was interesting how he wanted to make it a friend when he was younger and his father persuaded him it wasn't a good idea.

He tries isolating himself on the raft, he tries aggression, he tries to command it and in the end he just accepts it. When he does it wanders off by itself never to be seen again.

MORE SPOILERS!

Yes!! I felt that the tiger represents the ego - no difference in how we try to placate, feed, fight and nurture it.

To me, the most poignant part of the book/film was that point where absolute defeat led to absolute surrender, when he gives up on surviving the ocean or the tiger. Things fall into place thereafter..

The tiger doesn't look back When it is time to get off the boat and leave, it just does. After "all they have been through together"..

Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2012 :  12:36:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by kami

quote:

MORE SPOILERS!

Yes!! I felt that the tiger represents the ego - no difference in how we try to placate, feed, fight and nurture it.

To me, the most poignant part of the book/film was that point where absolute defeat led to absolute surrender, when he gives up on surviving the ocean or the tiger. Things fall into place thereafter..

The tiger doesn't look back When it is time to get off the boat and leave, it just does. After "all they have been through together"..

Also, after all that fighting he realised the Tiger was never his enemy, simply a survival mechanism and a tormentor. Pi showed complete surrender. As we find in life, you don't always get what you want, only what you need.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2012 :  1:07:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, the Stones man...
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2012 :  5:22:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think the tiger represents the primal aspect of man that is still in play. You could call that "mind" or "ego"...but to me, it's helpful to be more descriptive/more precise, so perhaps "primal ego" or "primal mind".

If you remember, Pi actually ends up mastering the tiger...taming him. So, in that sense, it's very much active surrender, not a passive surrender of living in fear of the tiger. Pi claims his own territory and keeps the tiger at bay--and that took lots of work, discipline, and courage. Otherwise, the tiger would have devoured him or made him perish by scaring him away from the food supplies.

In some sense, that's what yoga can accomplish: a mastery of the lower/survival instincts (through the 1st two limbs of yoga: restraints and observances). That's what tantra's about too: using the primal, sexual desire for a higher evolutionary purpose.

His mastery of the will to live is what propelled him into the higher statosphere of spiritual surrender.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000