Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Hey again
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lmaher22

USA
217 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2012 :  8:24:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Does anyone have an opinion on those online meditation videos and audios? Do you think they would possibly work? Can they change brain waves and old patterns of thought? Seems too easy to me and ain't nuttin EZ.

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2012 :  12:16:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey lmaher,

Which ones do you mean specifically?

Here's my two cents:

-Yes they can be helpful

-I love guided meditations that help see specific insights. Adyashanti does some great ones.

-I'm personally not too keen on brain wave binaural beat type/brainwave ones. Call it an intuitive thing, but my personal inclination is towards AYP or just-sitting over the binaural stuff any day. Having said that - some people get great results, if your intuition leads you that way, you should give it a whirl.

-There's one important thing I think is missing from binaural types and in fact any guided meditation. Guided meditations may be good for specific effects and outcomes - like helping you relax. That's fine and there's nothing wrong with that. But if we only use meditation as a tool to 'get' specific experiences - bliss, relaxation etc, the meditation can be kind of co-opted by the ego to fulfill its own agenda.

In my experience, meditating by just sitting in silence and repeating a mantra or watching the breath can be difficult. Sometimes you really just want to get up and do something else. But by sitting there anyway, what happens is you gradually stop identifying with the mind and body so much. We can also call this 'inner silence', kind of the same thing.

Instead of identifying with the mind which wants to be active and think, and the body which wants to get up and do stuff, this whole process just gets watched, observed, witnessed, without identification.

In daily life this manifests as a qualitative improvement, beginning on a very simple, practical level: we get a parking ticket, or someone is rude to us, and instead of sinking into identifying with an emotional reaction and mental story to these situations, we find the reaction is instead just noticed, and we can easily let it go, without identifying. Eventually, the reactions start to stop altogether, and we become more and more unshakeably rooted into inner silence, life doesn't buffet us around anymore, and once troubling events are like raindrops falling in an ocean of peace.

Guided meditations can take you to a place which feels really nice during the meditation, but I'm not sure that they always clear up the identification with form, thereby qualitatively improving our daily life. The little extra discipline involved in regular types of meditation goes along way.
Go to Top of Page

lmaher22

USA
217 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2012 :  09:47:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you,sir. So, I guess I'll just keep doing my twice daily meds as AYP suggests and just watch a little video.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000