Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Experiencing a Lag...Need some Advice Please
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2012 :  09:08:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi There Everyone:

I have been an off again, on again, meditator for 24 years.

I incorporated Spinal Breathing, about a month to two months ago, except my meditation has fallen flat.

I am finding it dull and boring. I rarely ever had that issue with meditation.

It's making me not want to meditate.

Just wondering if there is some words of advice that you could share with me,and why this lull/lag in my meditation.

Warm Regards,

Sparkling

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2012 :  09:21:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This is normal Sparkling... we all go through phases when it seems like it's boring and nothing is happening... these are the times when I believe a lot is going on deep within (beyond the mind's grasp) and the mind feels meditation is loosing it's entertainment value. At these times we drag ourselves to the meditation seat and continue meditation like we brush our teeth...
This phase will pass.
If you'd like to add a bit of umph to your practice, maybe try a mantra enhancement. But other than that, I would say ride it out, if in a few months it still feels like nothing is happeneing, maybe try to add an extra practice session on the weekend... but do this only if you are not very busy and can have enough time to rest after the practices.

Here is Yogani's lesson on it: http://www.aypsite.org/14.html
Go to Top of Page

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2012 :  10:23:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shanti

Thank you!

The thing is nothing that much happens during my normal meditation session anyway.Not much entertainment happening.

But what I do value is getting to a deep, deep relaxation, which I normally get most times.

I normally use a TM mantra during meditation, but since finding this awesome AYP site, I have beeen doing the SP and using the "I AM" mantra as subscribed to in the lessons here.

Maybe I should revert back to my old TM mantra? But I don't see how changing the mantra should have much influence over the depth of the meditaion session???

Thanks again, and any further comments appreciated

With Warm Regards,

Sparkling
Go to Top of Page

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2012 :  12:09:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Shanti

Just read this from the lesson, and this really helped.

.*** But the experiences, or lack of them, are not the measure of the correctness of the meditation procedure. The procedure is very specific, and we may or may not feel inner expansion on any given day. You see? ***
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2012 :  12:32:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Amazing how Yogani has a way to tell us exactly what we need in such few words... isn't it?
Go to Top of Page

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2012 :  9:33:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, and many many thanks to Yogani!

This is a very valuable site to those of us interested in spiritual development.
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2012 :  11:39:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am guessing that you may be exceeding your comfort zone for sitting practice. Say that you have meditated for years for 20 minutes, then add 20 mins pranayama. By the time you get to the meditation part you may be tired, bored, not as into it. It becomes a chore. You can either self pace and cut back to your comfort zone or you can endure the boredom and discomfort until it passes. your choice, both can work depending on your temperment.
Go to Top of Page

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2012 :  12:43:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Victor

I can meditate easily for 45 mins without getting bored, but since adding the SB the boredom really set in. Going to try again.

I do the Spinal breathing for just 5 mins before the regular 20mins

Wondering if changing my mantra from the I AM back to my old mantra may be a good idea?

Does it make a big difference whether one uses the "I AM' as a mantra or any mantra of one's choice?
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2012 :  05:44:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. I am the opposite. I can do pranayama for a half hour happily and easily but sometimes the meditation can feel like its going on forever. It does strike me as odd that only 5 minutes of spinal breathing would have that effect. Maybe actually do MORE pranayama so that you really feel and appreciate the effects deeply.
As for the mantra, in my experience the I AM mantra and enhancements worked much more smoothly for me when I added kechari mudra than other mantras that I had used in the past. I don't know what your former mantra was though so can't really advise. If it was a TM mantra it might work just as well. I can't say
Go to Top of Page

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2012 :  01:08:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Victor

I am very new to Spinal Breathing.

I have used it maybe ten times now during meditation.

The first time flowed smoothly and easily, and it actually deepened my meditation.

But not so much the other times

Trying again now, during meditation.

Thanks for your advice.

Think I will try my old mantra again and see how it works

Was there any particular reason that Yogani chose the IAM mantra????

With Warm Regards

Maria
Go to Top of Page

SwamiX

USA
35 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2012 :  9:16:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi SP,

I use my TM mantra, since the DM on this site is basically TM; if you ever get your TM checked, the instructions are basically identical to the instructions given here. I just added spinal breathing to my TM practice per the instructions given here. The SB really does enhance meditation. In fact, it leads in my case to a bit of overload, so I have t take it easy on it.
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2012 :  12:18:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Pranayama for 10 times is really no indication of much other than your inherent resistance to a new practice. It takes awhile to deepen and get the benefits. Probably slower with pranayama than with most other practices as it is very subtle when you get it right. I have had a daily pranayama practice for decades now, couldn't imagine a day without it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000