Sufi Sayings
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2012 :  5:43:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wheresoever you turn, there is the face of Allâh.
QUR’ÂN
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2012 :  5:45:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I was a hidden treasure, and I desired to be known,
so I created the world.
HADÎTH
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2012 :  5:50:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh Lord God, everyone has some wish, whereas I want
to have no wish. And everyone has an “I,” whereas I
want to have no “I.”
What I want is not to be me!
ABÛ’L-ABBÂS QÂSIM
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2012 :  5:51:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What you most want,
what you travel around wishing to find,
lose yourself as lovers lose themselves,
and you’ll be that.
‘ATTÂR
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2012 :  5:51:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Kill me, O my faithful friends
for to kill me is to make me live;
My life is my death, and my death is my life.
AL-HALLÂJ
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2012 :  5:54:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A certain person came to the Friend’s door and knocked.
“Who’s there?”
“It’s me.”
The Friend answered, “Go away. There’s no place
for raw meat at this table.”
The individual went wandering for a year.
Nothing but the fire of separation
can change hypocrisy and ego. The person returned
completely cooked,
walked up and down in front of the Friend’s house,
gently knocked.
“Who is it?”
“You.”
“Please come in, my Self,
there’s no place in this house for two.”
RÛMÎ
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2012 :  05:55:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Rumi on the defense of Al Hallaj:

When a fly is plunged in honey, all the members of its body are
reduced to the same condition, and it does not move. Similarly, the
term istighraq (absorption in God) is applied to one who has no
conscious existence or initiative or movement. Any action that
proceeds from him is not his own. If he is still struggling in the water,
or if he cries out, 'Oh, I am drowning,' he is not said to be in the state
of 'absorption'. This is what is signified by the words Ana'l-Haqq,
'I am God'. People imagine that it is a presumptuous claim, whereas
it is really a presumptuous claim to say Ana'l-'abd, 'I am the servant
of God'; and Ana'l-Haqq, T am God,' is an expression of great
humility. The man who says Ana'l-abd, 'I am the servant of God,'
affirms two existences, his own and God's, but he that says Ana'l-
Haqq, 'I am God,' has made himself non-existent and has given
himself up and says 'I am God,' i.e. 'I am naught, He is all: there is no
being but God's.' This is the extreme of humility and self-abasement.
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2012 :  07:55:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Between me and You there lingers an “it is I”
which torments me.
Ah! lift through mercy this “it is I”
from between us both!
AL-HALLÂJ
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2012 :  07:58:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
When I love a devotee, I, the Lord, become his ear so
that he hears through Me, I become his eye so that he sees
through Me, I become his tongue so that he speaks through
Me, and I become his hand so that he possesses through Me.
DHÛ-L-NÛN
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2012 :  08:45:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ah!
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2012 :  1:24:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Ananda for these :)

Interesting to see that for two weaks I'm reading of their lives out of a book from Fariduddin Attar. It is a disconitnued compilation, but one of the best I've come across over the years.

Most of them had no real technique, just their master and replacing all wishes with obeying the master or wishing god alone the whole day/night. Some of them practiced the namaz and prayed a lot.

Thanks again for the quotes :)
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2012 :  1:38:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Something that came to me some days ago:

http://www.mysticsaint.info/2008/08...rishnas.html

Ramakrishna reports of his experience with the classic but intense muslim sadhana under the guidance of a sufi master. In my eyes it is of special value as this man bridges a gap to the hindu teachings.

I feel like Al-Hallaj also practiced some or many types of yoga while still walking among sufi men and also tried to bridge the gap somehow.

As a last I'm aware of Lahiri Mahasaya who had muslim students who received the kriya techniques with muslim mantras instead. Sadly there are no reports of those and their progress.

From the link above an excerpt to be in harmony with this threads fragrance :)

"Face shining with Divine Light,
chant the beautiful Names of God
until your secret heart overflows
with the nectar of prema.
Drink this elixir ceaselessly
and offer it to all humanity."

- Sri Ramakrishna
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2012 :  03:50:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Holy

Thank you Ananda for these :)

Interesting to see that for two weaks I'm reading of their lives out of a book from Fariduddin Attar. It is a disconitnued compilation, but one of the best I've come across over the years.

Most of them had no real technique, just their master and replacing all wishes with obeying the master or wishing god alone the whole day/night. Some of them practiced the namaz and prayed a lot.

Thanks again for the quotes :)

I've read that book also... A great read :-)

But just for clarification sake... They all had techniques... All sufies do... And some of those techniques were mentioned in the book and some weren't... Like the technique of practicing the repetition of the great name... Fasting and zikr and praying the ward and hizb and traditional rakaas a lot... Attar himself is a great sufi saint...

Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2012 :  04:00:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Holy

Something that came to me some days ago:

http://www.mysticsaint.info/2008/08...rishnas.html

Ramakrishna reports of his experience with the classic but intense muslim sadhana under the guidance of a sufi master. In my eyes it is of special value as this man bridges a gap to the hindu teachings.

I feel like Al-Hallaj also practiced some or many types of yoga while still walking among sufi men and also tried to bridge the gap somehow.

As a last I'm aware of Lahiri Mahasaya who had muslim students who received the kriya techniques with muslim mantras instead. Sadly there are no reports of those and their progress.

From the link above an excerpt to be in harmony with this threads fragrance :)

"Face shining with Divine Light,
chant the beautiful Names of God
until your secret heart overflows
with the nectar of prema.
Drink this elixir ceaselessly
and offer it to all humanity."

- Sri Ramakrishna

Dear, as Yogani puts it "we all have the same nervous system..." Also we all have the same God/Allah/Kali/Truth...

For muslims Muhamad is the sea of light and for christians jesus is and so on... Each seeker of the religions sees the light and calls it according to the religion he was raised in... Some very old suffies "muslims and christians and Hindus..." to my wonder are still in this conditioning... Even thought they are living in oneness... But you can't blame them... Their traditional practices is what got them where they are...

On the other hand their are others like Rumi and Saint Charbel and Ramana Maharshi and Ramakrishna.... Who are beyond this conditioning and who speak of true love without name or form or color. Just pure unconditional love

I suggest reading the discourses of Rumi and the life of Saint Charbel... They are the best two examples I know of in Islam and Christianity... I can't find better examples to look up to myself... God is one.

Love,
Ananda
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2012 :  03:58:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
“Whoever reduces all their cares to a single care, God fulfills all their
other needs.” The Prophet (saw)
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2012 :  04:31:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing should stand between yourself and God. Not imims, priests, rabbis, or any other custodians of moral or religious leadership. Not spiritual masters, not even your faith. Believe in your values and your rules, but never lord them over others. If you keep breaking other people’s hearts, whatever religious duty you perform is no good.
Stay away from all sorts of idolatry, for they will blur your vision. Let God and only God be your guide. Learn the Truth, my friend, but be careful not to make a fetish out of your truths.

Shams Tabrizi
Go to Top of Page

nandhi

USA
362 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2012 :  7:53:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit nandhi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
aum

so beautiful. each loud word of silence that as poetic wisdom is pure consciousness imparted!

gratitude divine brother ananda. gratitude to each of you beings who bless this space.

nandhi
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2012 :  10:46:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Love and respect dear nandhiji. Namaste
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2012 :  02:21:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"We have mastered Death and we smell of it."

One of Yacin's sayings when he was with us in Beirut.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000