Bhakti and Karma Yoga
 Influence by opinion of others
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Yuri

Russia
37 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2012 :  2:20:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I analysed my thoughts and my reactions, and I came to the conclusion that a big part of what I would like to get rid of is connected with (is rooted into) too much influence by other people opinion.

In the texts ususally is discussed how to get rid of lust, envy, wrath, etc. But these emotions are often secondary and come from the basic thoughts. And what other people think about me - is one of these basic thoughts.

Intellectually I understand everything; I am also capable to locate this feeling of "seeking the approval"; and am trying to fight it; but deep inside it is still there.

Even when I'm in the car, I make differentiation between expensive and cheap cars. And this is sad. I have to put efforts not to make differentiation.

Any suggestions?

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2012 :  10:29:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Yuri

I analysed my thoughts and my reactions, and I came to the conclusion that a big part of what I would like to get rid of is connected with (is rooted into) too much influence by other people opinion.

In the texts ususally is discussed how to get rid of lust, envy, wrath, etc. But these emotions are often secondary and come from the basic thoughts. And what other people think about me - is one of these basic thoughts.

Intellectually I understand everything; I am also capable to locate this feeling of "seeking the approval"; and am trying to fight it; but deep inside it is still there.

Even when I'm in the car, I make differentiation between expensive and cheap cars. And this is sad. I have to put efforts not to make differentiation.

Any suggestions?

You might try reading "Loving What Is" by Byron Katie, a very practical guide to address thoughts like this. Many of us here have found it extremely helpful.

Best of luck!
Go to Top of Page

Namath

350 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2012 :  02:56:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Yuri

Any suggestions?

Morning Yuri;

thanx for sharing!
My personal opinion...throw it away if you don't like it!you see the words I highlighted for you...It reflects you're fighting and avoiding these things....when you avoid something...it keeps coming to you. try to accept yourself just the way you are...then you will change oneday.

Speaking about others' opinions...nothing wrong with that...really!A few weeks ago...I had an anger storm that no one got away from it...not even God himself.

I seem to find money mysteriously with me...I can leave the house with 100$ in my pocket...reach somewhere & I have to pay 150$ for example....& then I find extra 100$ in my bag...although I packed it myself before leaving the house....No logic!

So I got angry oneday as I'm not finding a job...but I never run out of money...So when I found money...I tore it & throw it away. and said to God" I don't want your money...I want to work...help me find a job instead!"....yes I'm a spoilt child of the Divine

My 8 years old neice came & told me"can I ask you a question?I see you throw torn money in the waste bin...Why is that?if you don't want the money just give it to the poor!"

I laughed and told her she's right...as I felt it's God speaking through her...so there's no other really...It's all God.

She did collect the money...fixed it & took it for herself...smart kid

withing a week,I found a job.& I'm grateful for that.

Wish you all the best on your Path.

Love.

Go to Top of Page

Yuri

Russia
37 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2012 :  2:33:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Namath

I think that "to accept" does not mean "not try to change".

If I will not try to change - it will not change by itself. If not to put efforts - my vasanas (vices) will not disappear by themselves. At least this is my experience in life.

Go to Top of Page

Yuri

Russia
37 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2012 :  02:19:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Anthem11

I read 2 books of Byron Katie "Loving What Is" and "I Need Your Love – Is That True?" couple of years ago and they were useful to me. Perhaps I shall reread these books once more. Thanks for the advice.

Go to Top of Page

Yuri

Russia
37 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2012 :  1:44:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I realized that first time I didn't really follow Katie' instructions. I tried to do the Work orally, while it shall be done in writing. Now I have started doing it in writing, and first feeling is that the results are much better.

Anthem, once more thanks
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000