Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 new movie "Kumare"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2012 :  01:45:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I just saw a trailer for this movie and have got to check it out. It is the story of an Indian American film maker who impersonates a guru and the public buys it. check out the link
http://www.kumaremovie.com/

Edited by - Victor on Jun 02 2012 02:18:50 AM

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2012 :  02:12:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks victor
Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2012 :  06:51:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ha Victor you beat me to it! Was just going to post about it.

Where does he teach? I might join up.
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2012 :  07:48:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2012 :  08:28:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Good trailer - it's funny, and true? even better.

It is quite interesting because he is impersonating a guru, and yet students say he helped them so much.
I am sure the underlying motive is for him to prove that "real" gurus are fake also.
But at the same time he is fooling himself because he is helping people.
What he is really proving is the help comes from within the student, not from the guru. The guru just provides the support and environment for the inner help to come out.

Psychologists know that the most helpful aspect of talk therapy is just listening and not judging.
So Kumare is not really "impersonating" a guru; he is being one!

This confirms a reason for the AYP non-bashing policy. Anyone can help others. It's not because you are special.
It also confirms Yogani's wish for not being put on a pedestal.
Having said that, there is something that makes people exceptional: putting hundreds of hours of consistent effort into something like AYP. That is what makes Yogani admirable, and the same thing works for our practices.
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2012 :  3:35:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Exactly! the phrase "the guru is in you" could be perfectly applied to Kumare. I am very much looking forward to this movie. He seems good hearted, not trying to make people look stupid and he grew up in a religious hindu home and studied comparative religion and knew sankrit, had the look, could talk the talk. Very interesting if you ask me..
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2012 :  4:35:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The more I think about this, the more I think this guy is and evil criminal. Hopefully none of his students are in the film, or he is setting himself up to be broke and live in jail. But even if they are all actors in the movie, his real students could sue him for fraud and slander. It would be obvious they are represented in the movie.
He has taken people in need of help, probably took money from them, helped them, then withdrew help and support and made them look like fools in front of the world. I wouldn't be surprised if one of his students became suicidal, and he would be totally at fault.
Besides fraud and slander, he has used a position of trust to take advantage of people, and all three of those crimes carry a heavy penalty in the country. The film would serve as documentation of his crimes.
So hopefully, the story is not true at all, and the film is all actors and fictional characters, and then it might be funny.
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2012 :  5:32:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
From what I understand none of it is scripted and his students were told that they were being filmed for a documentary on him. Kind of Borat style. He does seem to have taken great pains to be respectful and not abusive to his students and to give teachings that he genuinely believed to be true (the guru is in you...)so lets see the movie and then continue this discussion.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2012 :  5:41:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
OK - you first.
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2012 :  12:15:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I plan to :)
http://www.pajiba.com/film_reviews/...devotion.php

Edited by - Victor on Jun 03 2012 12:20:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

stevenbhow

Japan
352 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2012 :  01:31:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit stevenbhow's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I saw the trailer for this the other day. It looks interesting.
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2012 :  03:22:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There is a story in the sufi tradition... In which a suffi kotb is asked whom will you choose to take up your responsibility as a mourabi after you leave. He replies, that man who is studying with that false sheikh. Yes, I guess it all boils down to the student. The outer is just a mirror for the inner.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2012 :  06:49:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hmmm this movie might be very good or a very bad publicity for yoga...but it is definitely not coming to movies in lebanon because the audience of such movies is very small...

ananda what is kotb and mourabi in english....even i dont know those arabic words!
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2012 :  12:42:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
a kotb is something similar to a patriarch or the pope... Mourabi is similar to a teacher who takes care of ur upbringing... salam
Go to Top of Page

KechariConfusion

USA
44 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2012 :  1:25:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
there are no authentic Hindu gurus. All pretend to have met Babaji in the himalayas and base their lineage on that.

Edited by - KechariConfusion on Jul 24 2012 3:50:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2012 :  3:25:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My guess is that the Himalayas are full of "Babaji's" ;)
Go to Top of Page

Sudeep

India
21 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  05:47:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by KechariConfusion

there are no authentic Hindu gurus. All pretend to have met Babaji in the himalayas and base their lineage on that.

What authenticity you look for while dealing with Gurus ? Teacher will come when the student is ready. :) World is never without living Guru. It depends on our soul jorney when we encounter real Guru.
Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2012 :  8:08:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I just saw this documentary. It is very nice. I felt a heartache from seeing those people who actually needed help and he was acting. But still he somehow did help them. I liked the idea that his teaching was that the "Guru is in you". That was his reason for going on this journey and continueing with it till the end. He did show that anyone has great wisdom inside if only they choose to embrace their inner guru.

I really liked this film, fun watching, totally recommended especially for us who reveal the inner guru.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000