AYPsite.org Forum
 Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 Yoga Asana Teacher Training
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - May 30 2012 :  11:43:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hey All,

It's has been my intention for a while now to become a certified yoga instructor, and while I have done quite a bit of research, there have been a couple of hold ups on pursuing it.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

The first hold up is financial, as it's quite expensive (at least where I live).
I've perceived a karmic quality to my ability to pay for the certification. First, I had a job scheduled which would have paid for the schooling, and would have been additional income to what I usually make in a month. Inexplicably, and unusually for this type of job, it was cancelled without recompense at the last minute.
In response, I found a second job with which I could make additional income to pay for schooling, but found that as soon as I started, jobs in my primary work petered out (I am freelance) to a point where the second job was only helping to pay for my normal living expenses.

So basically, I feel like I need to take a risk and make something happen. I don't know that teaching yoga is the right path for me by any means, but I do feel that it may be a step in the right direction. It's not something I want to do full time but I think it would be a positive outlet for me.

At this point, I am considering spending what money I do have to go to India and do the training there. Given that work for my primary job has been practically nonexistent, there is no downside to traveling for the training; overall, the costs for travel and lodging plus schooling aren't much different from just doing the schooling here where I live.

However, I am concerned about taking such a risk because I would not have much money available after the expense of the schooling. And money has become a major issue since I decided that I would pursue the teacher training with the intent to do it as soon as I had the funds to pay for it.

Another risk is that I inhabit a very fragile and sensitive body which is incapable of robust, daily physical practice. I am not sure that I could complete the course given that I get overload symptoms even when I do not practice. Those who are familiar with my history on this board probably recall that I have a very extreme and long-running (9 years) k experience, and it shows no signs of abating. There have been times in the past two years where I was, for all intents, disabled and incapable of participating in daily life.

I wonder if this is something that I need to pursue in order to overcome limitations and progress... in a sense, taking action despite obstacles. Or if instead, I would be forcing the matter rather than allowing my path to manifest in a natural way, even if that means nothing happens.

I would really appreciate any thoughts you might have. As you can see I'm having some trouble seeing this situation properly!

Thanks for helping :)

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - May 30 2012 :  4:14:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi tonight
i am a big enthusiast for ttc and attc...done them both...but in your case i think it is better to take it easy
you see ttc is not only asanas..it has daily many hours of meditation and or kirtan plus the lectures about yoga philosophy (btw what is curriculum of your ttc??)..al these combined are too much for a sensitive practitioner like yourself
i suggest that you give it more time ...ie keep on doing your regular jobs...keep your savings (remember savings are for emergencies) then you can figure it all out more clearly
i suggest that you do ttc in the place where you live...cause if you are unable to continue the course it would be much easier to go back home than to rearrange all your travel plans ...
i went to an ashram in india twice too but i am glad i did not do my courses there cause india at first is a bit overwhelming..it needs few days to start seeing its beauty and majesty despite all the poverty... in the first few days you feel you are on a different planet....
it is good to take action to overcome obstacles as you said but one should be wise...your bhakti (spiritual desire) is definitely on the rise ...bhakti also needs to be self paced like any other yogic practice if it becomes a element of destabilization and excessive spiritual purification...
so things are happening for you (contrary to what you said) in the place where you are already living doing the daily activities you have to do....
all the best!

Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - May 30 2012 :  4:44:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your input Maheswari!

I'm happy to hear that you have done a lot of yoga training, and that it's been good for you.

It sounds like you think it's clear that certification may not be for me, at least at this time. Your opinion carries a lot of weight given your experience.

Part of the India trip is to get a spark of change. I've never been there and I've always wanted to go. In this case, I would probably go for three or four months, with the training only being a part of the trip.

As I inquire, I feel that I probably need a trip more than I need the training, but doing the training allows me to justify a trip because it would be a source of income when I returned. Otherwise, from here it seems like life will just be a slow, blissful torture until I finally die

I would like to hear what others think, but maybe this is a bad idea. Thanks for your thoughts!

Edit: After re-reading your response I just wanted to add something. Regarding the training, I don't believe it has all that much to do with bhakti. Of course, I'd like to refine my practice, but more importantly, I believe that it's a way to add additional income doing something that I like to do, something that I'm good at, while helping others reach their own goals. If anything, my bahkti is ebbing because bahkti equals pain and suffering. I'm sure that some masters have been able to sustain liberation at all times despite continuous pain, but I am not at that level and frankly, don't wish to be.

Edited by - tonightsthenight on May 30 2012 5:21:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

yoginiwanders

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - May 30 2012 :  9:40:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tonight,

I am a certified Hatha Yoga Instructor but cannot really comment on the sensitivity aspect of your question. I can only tell you that the experience was worthwhile for me in terms of deepening my practice and meeting some really inspiring people. I only teach one class per week now but even if I didn't teach at all I found the experience to be worth the time and money.

I know that some programs offer Seva work in exchange for reducing course fees and that some programs that you might find where you currently live may be offered over a period of many weekends. If you are still interested in travelling for training also keep in mind that there are some good training locations outside of India as well. Kripalu in Massachusetts is one I would like to check out.

Good luck with your decision!
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - May 30 2012 :  10:54:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your input yoginiwanders :)

I have considered weekend courses and the fact that the work is spread out over time makes sense. However, it doesn't really appeal to my personality, I'm more a fan of immersion experiences :P Maybe I should think about that more.
Go to Top of Page

carmelamturner

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2012 :  09:49:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit carmelamturner's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Staying fit is a not only a dream of every human being but it is also a necessity of life. If you wish to live a healthy and a long life, you have to be healthy. You cannot ignore your health at any cost. If you continuously concentrate on your work and ignore your health at a later point of time in your life, you will have to pay for it in terms of health issues. To stay away from all this it is better that you resort to a healthy life style right from now. Opt for any form of exercise you are comfortable with. However, yoga is the best form of exercise. It is a complete exercise not only for your body but your mind as well. It is a blend of meditation and asanas. Asanas are various body postures that involve various body movements and work on different parts of your body. To learn these different asanas with perfection and ease you can enroll with a yoga retreat or work with a yoga instructor. There are many asanas in this exercise. This exercise is categorized in many forms for examples, Hatha, Kundalini, Power, Hot, etc and each one of this category there are different asanas. Every asana has different importance and meaning. There is a theory behind every asana. When you understand the benefit of that asana and the actual meaning and effect of it, you develop an interest and belief in it. Out of so many asanas we would discuss on the Supta Padangusthasana which means a ‘Reclining Big Toe Pose’. Steps to practice Supta Padangusthasana • Lie on the floor with your back touching the ground completely. If you cannot rest your head completely or comfortably on the floor, place a folded blanket below it. While you exhale, bend your left knee and move your thigh towards your torso and close to your belly.
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2012 :  04:30:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
tonightsthenight,
I don't recall whether you said where you live - U.S.?? I personally am very skeptical of the whole "certification process" here. However, if you have the time and money, go for it! Given your physical concerns you would want to avoid the "gymnastic" approach to yoga which is so common here. If I had the time and money I would become certified by my teacher, Mark Whitwell, whose approach is quite compatible with AYP, where asana serves the bigger picture in terms of meditation and liberation. Also the asanas can be adapted for anyone, even those in a wheelchair. It doesn't have to be physically strenuous. He is teaching at Esalen the end of July and he also has a retreat in Fiji that sounds VERY nice and is quite affordable (relatively speaking). check it out: http://www.heartofyoga.com/teachers...r-trainings/ I hope that is helpful. I am an official Heart of Yoga teacher although I am unable to afford the Yoga Alliance certification. I teach about a dozen students, including special needs kids, and it is extremely satisfying work! but not enough to make a living at this point.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000