Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Tolle
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

alan

USA
235 Posts

Posted - May 18 2006 :  1:47:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit alan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello fellow yogis.

It feels so good to becoming light-hearted and more present. Everything is becoming more beautiful and peaceful.

My life is beginning to make a turn to Peace.

It is a pleasure to share this with you fellow seekers of truth. We are each so unique, each one of us a gift

I'm enjoying Eckhart Tolle's "The Power of Now". His work is very helpful to me. His exercises of being present in the moment I use constantly. They are also very helpful for centering in pranayama and meditation.

Anyone enjoying these writings?

Peace, alan

Edited by - AYPforum on Feb 05 2007 01:18:21 AM

trip1

USA
739 Posts

Posted - May 19 2006 :  02:20:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit trip1's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Alan,

I really enjoy Tolle's writings/lectures as well. I've found his teachings similar in ways to those of Krishnamurti's (The Now vs. Observing), but presented in a much clearer and easy to follow way. I've also tracked down a few of his video recordings and at times he almost seems like a child who has stumbled across enlightenment, which is to me both entertaining and beautiful to watch. He is certainly a gift to all on the path.

Brett
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - May 19 2006 :  08:35:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Alan,
I have enjoyed Tolle.. His writing has helped me a lot.. There have been a lot of discussion on his books look here...
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....TOPIC_ID=968

Another book that was recommended by many at the forum and I am currently reading.. very interesting.. very insightful.. is What's Wrong With Right Now.. by Sailor Bob Adamson...

Happy reading

Edited by - Shanti on May 19 2006 09:18:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

alan

USA
235 Posts

Posted - May 19 2006 :  09:19:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit alan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys. I must have been busy the week all that was discussed on the forum. I remember reading some of the posts on self-enquiry.

Breathing is one of his techniques. I have been using breath throughout the day and "feeling" connected inside my body with the breath; using that to be more present in the moment. It doesn't work like a "thinking" self-inquiry, though it does lend to clearer thought and a letting go of thought.

I wonder if anyone has discussed pranayama & etc. with Tolle?

Didn't mean to re-hash a subject. Peace, alan

Edited by - alan on May 19 2006 11:11:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

alan

USA
235 Posts

Posted - May 19 2006 :  3:02:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit alan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello. Not quite ready to drop the topic on Tolle's book yet

The self inquiry part, where I watch my attatchments of thoughts and feelings to situations be they painful or otherwise and observe those reactions, and more often than not now choose to let go and remain in peace and accept the situation, has been very valuable. I employ a full and steady rythym breath and breathe the reality of those moments to metre my observation. Some real growth. And boy, when I get caught up and dragged it is painfully noticable. But still I exercise patience and acceptance and eventually come back around to detatchment. It is an all-encompassing experience wherein "I" become the total experience which includes myself and everyone and everything in the moment. BeautifulIt's certainly a rising above kind of thing. I feel like a whole new self in the making.

Of course my Kriya practice is my foremost tool for my evolution, but I believe I am becoming open to spirit giving me guidance and tools from everywhere, like Tolle's book and here sharing with youNone of the tools rise above another, really. It seems the real "tool" is my growing awareness that knows how to use anything available within the moment

Peace, alan

Edited by - alan on May 19 2006 3:17:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

alan

USA
235 Posts

Posted - May 19 2006 :  4:14:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit alan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ee-gads! You all went to town on the thread you refered me to Shanti. I just went over all the posts about Tolle and self-inquiry you all had a few weeks ago...how'd I miss all that? I think Karunamayi was in town and I was absorbed in her visit So to wrap up my two cents on the subject: self-inquiry for me is taking the silence into daily life and observing, accepting and detatching from every exchange between myself and others, and between myself and the total environment, coupled with breathing the moment in and out...in and out, in a steady rythymAnother important aspect is to practice kindness, appreciation and sympathy with those who are in the throes of "conflict" with me as it is observed that they are in a state of emotional/mental confusion that I can well relate to
Go to Top of Page

BluesFan

USA
35 Posts

Posted - May 19 2006 :  5:47:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit BluesFan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Alan,

Tolle is amazing. He's the real deal. I dont know that he was ever really looking for enlightenment but boy did he get it! Someone mentioned that he often seems like a child who has stumbled onto enlightenment...that's a great description. I have a 2 disc DVD set of his as well as the audio version of "A New Earth". If you haven't already, I'd strongly recommend getting one of his books on cd or a DVD. Listening to him has had a very powerful effect on my practice and my life. It's done the same with several family members I've recommended it to. In my opinion he is a modern day Buddha.

-B
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - May 21 2006 :  12:26:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Alan said: self-inquiry for me is taking the silence into daily life and observing, accepting and detatching from every exchange between myself and others, and between myself and the total environment, coupled with breathing the moment in and out...in and out, in a steady rythymAnother important aspect is to practice kindness, appreciation and sympathy with those who are in the throes of "conflict" with me as it is observed that they are in a state of emotional/mental confusion that I can well relate to

Alan, I am glad this is working for you. I have been making a conscious effort too of staying in the present. This has really helped me with is my depression.. or down moods. I am getting good at catching the slight breeze in my heart and stopping it before it becomes a tornado. During this watching thought I have realized there are two kinds of lows.. One of them starts off in the heart.. the slight breeze.. it is triggered by really silly things like a thought, smell, words, a song .. something the mind associates with a down time.. it puts out little sparks in the heart.. and I am not careful.. it becomes a full blown fire.

There is another kind.. that starts in my head.. its like an energy release or overload.. I think this one is purification related.. and this one I cannot get a hold of.. The thing I do with these though is ignore them.. get really busy with stuff.. and in about half a day or a day it goes away. If I put my attention to it though.. this too has a way of taking over my life.

Now, about living in the present.. every thing I read tells me that is what helps the most in the spiritual path.. esp. after reading Frank's post on the conversations he is having with John http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=1138, and reading Sailor Bob's book.. I feel it is very important being here in the present. This has not been easy for me, I try but most of the time my mind is on the run.. when I do realize this, I come back, but I don't realize it too often (I think). Being conscious of my breath.. that is one thing that gets me in trouble during meditation.. so I try to stay away from it.. but I do try to be involved with what I am doing.. reading has been a big help for me.. esp. Yogani's books.

Meditation has helped me a lot in understanding how to work through these.. the increase in inner silence definitely has a lot to do with our progress in self inquiry.

Do continue to tell us about this self discovery journey of yours.
Oh! by the way.. thanks for sharing your 2 scents.
quote:
Alan said:sandalwood & jasmine
There's my two scents!

Go to Top of Page

alan

USA
235 Posts

Posted - May 21 2006 :  1:08:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit alan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Shanti

It appears that you are very aware (in the moment) of the pulls you describe. Most excellent! I'm new to this; not in being somewhat aware of my "downward" pulls, but in the ever-refining of the attention process (being more in the moment). What you describe in heart and head sounds like my experience. I'll pay attention more to the origin of these and see if that is so.

What I have been practicing to keep me from being carried away is to completely accept what is. It keeps me one step ahead. Like this: I feel this~accept; I did this~accept; I judged harshly~accept; I lost my temper~accept, and etc.. The accepting is a combination of forgiving myself, choosing a new path, and moving forward. It becomes somewhat surreal as I observe myself stumble along; stumbling and accepting, stumbling and accepting. It becomes a kindness that propells me beyond the downward pull. In its best it becomes slightly humorous, which helps. I begin to view myself and others as "my children" who are doing the best they can as I patiently lend a guiding hand.

Jai Guru, alan

P.S. you all are very kind, thank you

Edited by - alan on May 21 2006 1:11:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - May 21 2006 :  1:23:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Alan,
What you are doing is wonderful. This is what Katie talks about in her book "Loving What Is".. I have been doing a lot of this too.. but more to accept personal relationships.. and also at times when I start feeling low because I get caught up in how I think other people should treat me or have treated me. Yes, you cannot change what is.. accepting and forgiving a situation is the best solution.. But there are times when this feeling of being low has no reason.. that is when I have nothing to reason with.. when that happens I find it important to get myself busy and make a concious effort to contain that feelng in my heart and not let it take over my body.. if I let it slip it will.. like Jim put it.. "fly off into flights of fantasy, mulling over the past and fantasizing about the future". if you know what I mean .
Go to Top of Page

alan

USA
235 Posts

Posted - May 21 2006 :  2:17:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit alan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I do know what you mean. I have so utterly destroyed my life so many times over (though it could be worse) that it makes no sense anymore to mull over the past. To have a future, or more importantly the now, is a blessing. Our daily pranayama and meditation keeps us centered and awakening so that we can bring greater awareness into our day

Edited by - alan on May 21 2006 2:30:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - May 21 2006 :  2:29:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Alan,
There is one more thing that gets me down.. if I say something that is not true, or something that may hurt someone. It is funny though.. we get so used to little white lies, I did not even notice them till recently. A few days back my friend called.. and asked if I had looked at a catalog and if I wanted to order something from it.. I said nah!! there was nothing good in it.. in reality I had not even looked at the catalog.. after I hung up.. I could feel this thing in my heart.. I called her back to apologize and told her the truth.. she was so confused... it was really funny, she could not believe I called her back to apologize for that.. you could tell from her voice she was confused.. she must have been wondering what I had been drinking for breakfast.. It was so silly.. however, I felt better

Crazy Huh!!!

Edited by - Shanti on May 21 2006 2:34:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

alan

USA
235 Posts

Posted - May 21 2006 :  2:33:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit alan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes. More and more nothing will get past our scrutiny. As the truth becomes a reality in every moment everything is watched and pulled in-line so that we continue to grow. It is good that we expect such of ourselves
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - May 21 2006 :  9:10:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Alan,

I really enjoyed Tolle as well, he helped me to be more present in my daily life. He also helped bring my awareness to the many subtle ways the ego can manifest into our thoughts and actions.
quote:
More and more nothing will get past our scrutiny. As the truth becomes a reality in every moment everything is watched and pulled in-line so that we continue to grow.

Wise words, I see this on my path as well.

Hi Shanti,

Seems like we are on the same reading list!

I am currently reading Katie as well, I really like her approach. I have been using the work whenever I have a chance (on all those annoying people who push my buttons, there's a lengthy list so I will be at it for a while!) and love the release it can bring. Great stuff!

I have been thinking of either Krishnamurti or Nisargatta next, though I heard N smokes etc. and I find it hard to understand how an apparently realized person could willingly poison himself or have a strong attachment like that, seems contradictory.

Any one have any comments on this?

Anthem11
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - May 21 2006 :  9:49:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Andrew,
I am reading Sailor Bob now. The next book on my list is Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism by Chogyam Trungpa.
I sneaked in 'The Heart of Understanding' by Thich Nhat Hanh while I was reading Sailor Bob. It was a real tiny book.. but really good. Both these came recommende by Meg and Jim.

Yes, Katie has helped me deal with a lot of annoying people in my life. It is so easy to let things just go.. I still have a few big ones to get over.. Hopefully in two year I will have this "work" perfected.. that is when I meet the two people who push my buttons the most.. If I can get through 2 months with these people.. I can take on anyone.

Let me know what you read next.. the same kind of books seem to be helping us..

-Shweta.

Edited by - Shanti on May 22 2006 08:08:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - May 22 2006 :  10:51:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
another good one from thich nhat hanh is "Being Peace", a true classic.
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2007 :  01:18:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000