Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Parenting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Yoda

USA
284 Posts

Posted - May 16 2006 :  5:20:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yoda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I'm always looking for fresh new angles. I have Freya, 6, Sagittarius and Kell, 3, Aries. They seem to fit their astrology signs perfectly.

I'm very free market theory, very hands off as far as discipline. I believe in spacing kids out 3 years apiece. Mrs. Yoda is homeschooling them just so they grow up a bit 'slower' and keep a bit more naivete for as long as possible. We keep the primetime and TV news off. My philosophy is to be as positive as possible with them.

Any thoughts, paradigms, experiences welcome.

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - May 16 2006 :  5:34:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Homeschooling is one of those things with disadvantages as well as advantages for the children. So I suppose you have to weigh them up, in the context of the kind of schooling actually available around you.

One of the biggest disadvantages I know of for homeschooling for children is social --- the facts are so many children make their friends through school. They can miss something if they don't get that. Think about that one carefully. If you can work out how to provide them with plenty of interaction with other children, that should take care of that problem.

Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - May 16 2006 :  6:21:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just regarding that one issue--> Some home-schooling families combine forces to teach. One mother or father may be stronger in math and may teach math for kids of multiple families. Another may teach language arts. This also provides more interaction with other children in the environment that the parents feel comfortable with.

I saw an article recently that indicated that some colleges were beginning to prefer home-schooled kids--that their academic skills outreached their public-school peers.

light and love,
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Yoda

USA
284 Posts

Posted - May 16 2006 :  9:08:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yoda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
We are in South Carolina and homeschooling is all the rage here. It seems like everyone is doing it and there's a huge amount of acceptance, social networks, etc. Only 20 years ago, you had to go to court to pull it off, so much progress has been made and I think that the homeschooling movement will continue to grow dramatically in the next 20 years.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000