Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 Siddhasana: a physical problem
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pheel

China
318 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2012 :  9:28:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Pheel's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone,

I have another question, a question on siddhasana. I was recently ready to take on siddhasana after passing a bottle-neck stage of practice. But I found a physical problem in doing it:

My shins are obviously shorter than my thighs. And the result of that is when I sit in siddhasana, the heel underneath the perineum, I felt an out-pulling force. This force might not move my heel obviously, but sometimes it did result in rubbing the root of my sexual organ. (For the same reason, my feet stays inside my thigh, instead of sticking outside as ppl with longer shins do.) Pls let me know if this might be caused by my doing it in a wrong way.

So I am now planning to do half-lotus with a prosthetic. For now I use a rolled up sock. But it's not very comfy sometimes. Any suggestions for better replacements?

Namaste!

Pheel

JDH

USA
331 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2012 :  9:47:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Pheel,

With a scissors, I cut half the sock away (or more), to make the prosthetic smaller and more comfortable. It takes only a slight bit of pressure at the perineum to get the siddhasana effect.
Go to Top of Page

Pheel

China
318 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2012 :  10:41:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Pheel's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi JDH,

Thanks for the reply! Yea, how much pressure should be exerted is still something I need to experiment. But the heel, even on soft surface, seemed to be too much pressure..

Do you mind upload a picture of the final product of your sock? that's give me an idea of what you did with it. ps, I was a bit scared when I saw "with a scissors,,,,,"

Edited by - Pheel on Mar 26 2012 10:45:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

Swan

India
256 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  12:02:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Regarding the pressure, my experience says that it should be gentle.

Couple of months ago, I was having strained feeling and slight pain, on and off, inside the perinium and over all genital and pelvic area. I was not sure why it was so, and just before asking for help in the forum, it occured to me that reduced pressure may be tried. And it worked fine.

I found that rather than pressing perinium with the heel, I was almost sitting on the heel. I started practicing with the heel placed more towards the front side, which caused a much gentler pressure and all the issues, which were there for nearly a month or more, were gone in three to five days.

Hope this helps...
Go to Top of Page

JDH

USA
331 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  12:33:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Something like this is what I use, rolled up. When I made it, I cut a little away from the sock each time I used siddhasana until it felt right. The final size is your personal preference.

http://tinyurl.com/c5fhgmj

Go to Top of Page

Pheel

China
318 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  3:39:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Pheel's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks, man! I'm thinking of rolling it up without any hard folds, and seal it up with some tapes, so I can carry it ard when traveling. you know.

ps, I just found yr reply to my post in tantra forum. I'll reply soon:)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000