Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Kumbh Mela
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Babaly

USA
112 Posts

Posted - May 10 2006 :  11:43:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Babaly's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi Everyone,

Has anyone here been to the Kumbh Mela in India?

I am thinking of going to the Ardh Mela in Allahbad in January 2007.

Thanks

Babaly

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - May 10 2006 :  12:04:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen a couple movies on it and know some people who've gone. As you'd imagine, it's a big noisy (and somewhat kitsch) bazaar, rife with posers and self-promoters, but they say the vibe's nice....

I'd suggest seeking out the movies to get a feel for whether it's your kind of thing.
Go to Top of Page

ranger

USA
45 Posts

Posted - May 10 2006 :  7:24:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit ranger's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
As you'd imagine, it's a big noisy (and somewhat kitsch) bazaar, rife with posers and self-promoters, but they say the vibe's nice....
Sounds like a Grateful Dead concert. (RIP Jerry!)

Seriously (?) I knew a guy who went to the big one a few years ago. He went with a group so accomodations, travel, etc were pre-arranged. He found it very inspirational, though to be frank, it was hard to tell; he was in the beautific smile mode, so everything was inspirational.
Go to Top of Page

Frank-in-SanDiego

USA
363 Posts

Posted - May 12 2006 :  10:38:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank-in-SanDiego's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hari Om
~~~~~~~~[
quote:

Originally posted by Babaly[quote]

Has anyone here been to the Kumbh Mela in India?

Hello ,
No I have not attended but hope to... it is a very important time astrologically (Jyotish knowledge). There are mini-Kumbh mela's also
(every 4 years), then the big ( Maha) Kumbh mela - every 12 years.

Why 12 years? Jupiter is key here as is the sun ( Guru is Jupiter, the Atman is the Sun); People time their baths and dipping into the river at this time for multiple reasons - the best is advancement to moksha. Jupiter is on a 12 year cycle around the sun. Key points for Kumba Mela is when Jupiter is exalted (in Cancer) and Sun is exalted in Aries ( like now , till the 14th of May). So every 4 years, Jupiter (also known as guru and Brihaspati) is in trines to the sun
(surya)... More then you want to know perhpaps, but that is the reason for the timing. Jupter plays a key role and offers a 60 year cycle ( 5 X 12) for people in India that tracks life over zillions of years, this 60 year cycle is of key import to the various Yuga's.

Jim is correct, its big, noisy. That is the thorn here , yet the flower is the sages from far and wide attend, the hermits come out, the yogi's collect, this is a special time. This has gone on for many-many years. I hope you attend, I hope I can be there.

agnir satyam rtam brhat
Frank in San-Diego

Edited by - Frank-in-SanDiego on May 12 2006 10:49:47 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000