Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 AYP cited in new Yoga Book
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2012 :  11:38:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi All:

I learned recently that a new (and controversial) book on Yoga has come out, and that AYP is mentioned in it:

"The Science of Yoga: The Risks and the Rewards" - by William Broad, New York Times senior writer and best-selling author. AYP is cited for its recognition of the relationship between Kundalini and sexuality.

Looks like we are getting closer to the mainstream media. That has its risks and rewards also.

Here is a list of the articles, books and media where AYP has been mentioned over the years. If you know of any others that are not shown there, let me know. This link can also be found under "More Resources" near the bottom of the left border of the AYP website and forums.

Thanks, and all the best!

The guru is in you.

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2012 :  12:45:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
All your good work will never go waste Yogani. This is remarkable integration, very scientific and I strongly think you should be given a PhD for this. Probably thats the right way for this to get mainstream attention :)
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2012 :  12:59:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogani you are getting famous...watch out for your anonymity...there are some tenacious paparazzi you know
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2012 :  9:16:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If nobody knows what you look like or your real name, how could they sell the pictures?
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2012 :  12:34:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
To be fully honest, I'm still baffled that this website hasn't exploded in the mainstream. When I stumbled upon this website, its practices, and Yogani (an anonymous, mysterious non-guru), I felt much like walking down the street and coming across a real, live dragon in broad daylight. I'm yelling to passers-by who seem to be oblivious to the appearance of this mythological creature: Don't you see this?! Can you believe this?! But they just glaze right over it, because their programmed, routine minds can't perceive it. It's like the movie "Field of Dreams". Only when the cynical, pessimistic neighbor (like a doubting Thomas) witnesses the saving of a young girl's life does he see that the ghost baseball players are actually on the field.

In the same sense, you could interpret "Secrets of Wilder" as hinting at the mainstream's obsession and thirst for glamorous, extraordinary feats: levitation, energy healing, etc. But Yogani has already said he won't be walking through walls for anyone. Yet there is an ominous premonition looming in the "Secrets of Wilder"...kind of suggesting the possibility of how the cat might have to be let out of the bag eventually (a la a demonstration on a worldwide TV broadcast).

But maybe it won't be Yogani, but just some seasoned AYP practitioners that emerge to say..."Hey, check this out, it's going to blow your mind."

Anyway, as Yogani says, the greatest siddhi is joy. And life is just a relative scale of miracles. Really, the mind gets excited about things it hasn't seen before, but even a simple mind can understand that anything that can be perceived is just a reflection on the vast spectrum of manifestation. So, all that's left to do is surrender and become THAT, rather than wishing for a dazzling spectacle of mind-boggling entertainment (I'm guilty of this craving ).

To quote a hip-hop song: " 'Cause it ain't all peaches and cream, that's why we're floating face down in the mainstream..."
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2012 :  06:39:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks All for your kind comments.

It is more like the mainstream is moving slowly but surely toward full-scope yoga, rather than the other way around. That is pretty momentous. Most of yoga has been sculpted to accommodate mainstream market demand, and that is okay up to a point. But it is a two-way street, and while AYP seeks clear and practical (scientific) communications on all aspects of human spiritual transformation for the mainstream, we are not going to chop off big chunks of it to satisfy pop culture.

William Broad, a prominent writer with a lot of mainstream media muscle behind him, is confronting the "yoga industry" with some stark assessments, while at the same time pointing to the remarkable benefits of yoga. He is definitely raining on a few parades, getting a lot of bad reviews from the yoga industry, and putting his reputation on the line. But his new book is selling well anyway. It goes to show that there is no such thing as bad publicity.

AYP finding itself included in the discussion is interesting. While I don't necessarily agree with everything Mr. Broad is saying, I do agree with his theme of bringing yoga out of the realms of superstition, watered-down or extremist applications, and into the light of applied science (directly experienced causes and effects). It is the only way the mainstream is going to find full-scope yoga. So that is the journey we are on. These are exciting times.

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2012 :  09:24:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by yogani

But it is a two-way street, and while AYP seeks clear and practical (scientific) communications on all aspects of human spiritual transformation for the mainstream, we are not going to chop off big chunks of it to satisfy pop culture.

Thank God.

quote:
Originally posted by yogani
He is definitely raining on a few parades, getting a lot of bad reviews from the yoga industry, and putting his reputation on the line.

Sounds like someone I'd like to be friends with.
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2012 :  1:32:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
As I remember you once saying, the books will always remain part of AYP no matter who teaches it, so surely being referenced in stranger places can do no harm to its public image. Besides that, those looking for substance offered here will know to go beyond image and third-party impressions.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000