Building a Daily Practice with Self-Pacing
 Strained neck during practice
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shades

Sweden
35 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  3:14:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi!
I have some problem with finding the spinal nerve during spinal breathing, also using the mantra as I would like to. I understand that I should not force it but most of the time it is quiet in my head, like the mantra has no room to be thought.
During spinal breathing I don't put much effort in finding the nerve or tracing the spine, and if I do I quickly get strained around my neck and get a smaller headache.
Often during meditation my head wants to move very rapidly back and fourth, and if I let it go I sometimes touch the wall like I would hit my head if I didn't stop the head from moving!

So, I can't use the mantra without getting strained and I cannot find the nerve or even trace it as I think I should.

Does it matter if the mantra is being thought one or ten times during meditating? Is the number important?
Can I find some ease with my stiff neck (throat chakra) for clearer thought (additional technics or similar)? And does it matter if I just continue with my practice, I mean, will that ease my strained neck? I have had this problem for a long time :(

Namaste,
shades

Edited by - shades on Feb 27 2012 3:17:27 PM

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  03:53:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shades

The mantra should be 'said' back to back. The moment you find that you are lost in other thoughts or your awareness is elsewhere, gently go back to favouring the mantra. If you lose awareness completely (drop into a sleeplike state) then obviously you are not aware and can't keep repeating the mantra but the moment you come to, you should go back to the mantra if your session time is not over yet.

As for spinal breathing - just skip the neck part where you're feeling the strain or blockage; so from the root, up the spine, skip the strained neck, thru' the centre of the brain to the third eye and back down, again skipping the blocked area. Give the blocked area a little nudge each day as you are tracing up and down until one day you will find that the blockage is gone.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

shades

Sweden
35 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2012 :  04:33:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Let me see if I get this correctly.
The mantra should be "said" in the background, as a support(*)? Not as in being the main thought at the moment. I can acctually with some force think the mantra during my whole session, but that creates alot of pressure in my head.
*Which acctually is contradictory to going back to the mantra when it is lost. Should I deliberately think the mantra or should I let it repeat it self when it is easily done so? The last option sometimes make me "say" the mantra only a few times during one session, and if I relaxed many times I would only sit there with an empty head full of sometimes occuring thoughts. I don't want to miss out some benefits of the mantra.

About SB: Thank you! That seems to ease the SB, skipping the blocked area! Though, I don't understand what it means with giving the blocked area a nudge. Does the skipping part make the prana nudge the blocked area? That makes sense... :)

Namaste,
shades
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2012 :  04:10:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Now you've confused me. Just joking.

The mantra should be said/thought "back to back" - meaning repetitively. Not in the background !! In fact, it should be your main focus. Focus on the mantra, but gently, in a relaxed manner. Total concentration so as to eliminate all thoughts is not it - as you've noticed that would indeed give you a headache. Plus the point is not to eliminate thoughts but to come back to the mantra after wandering off into thoughts. That's the crucial point - coming back to the mantra. That millisecond of "silence space" created in-between thoughts and mantra.

As to "nudging" the blocked area, I meant, now and again, when you get to that area you do try to feel if it is prepared to give way so to speak - then you would know when to stop skipping that part because it is now unblocked. You gently nudge it into unblocking over time.

Have a blessed day

Sey
Go to Top of Page

shades

Sweden
35 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2012 :  3:33:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, I get it. For now when doing my practice I simply let the mantra be repeated and gently having my focus on it. It works okay, I guess it is a thing of getting used to.

Acctually, I have a few problems with finding the nerv still, also the mantra is Very quiet. Sometimes it feels like it is all over the place, like I am in the mantra, but most often it is only just very far away and quiet so to speak.

Thanks again, and have a nice evening :)

Namaste,
shades

Edited by - shades on Mar 05 2012 3:40:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2012 :  11:56:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You're doing great. There is no need to localize the mantra in one place - let it wander, let it re-fine, let it take you inwards.

As for the nerve, it depends a little on your ability to visualize. But do not worry if you can't see it, just trace the spine nerve with your attention and you should shortly notice (if it has not happen yet) the energy flowing, following your awareness up and down your spine.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

shades

Sweden
35 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2012 :  03:04:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
When you talked about skipping the blocking, for a while I just completely, and clearly felt the nerve. And also for a few days in practice!
Later the blocking acctually moved, so, even though I felt the strain in my neck area the nerve was only blocked in my brain for a while, then I could only trace the nerve somewhere around my forehead.
This morning, I could not trace it what so ever, that is why I skipped SB and only did DM today.

Maybe my whole spine is blocked, because I have a wierd relationship with someone I really care about, and this put a lot of pressure to my system so to speak. Would like to strech my back, and spine, cause it is very tensed.

Hmm...so, yes, I have some difficulties visualizing the nerve. Am I supposed to immagine an image with the focus/energy following the spine? This could work, like the mantra, with gentle focus. I have had that idea but never tried it through my whole peactice since it felt like a "newbie thing", ha ha :D (been meditating for a few years, and my pride is in the way.)

Namaste,
shades
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2012 :  01:04:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
For stretching exercises to unblock areas and help energy flow we have Yoga Asanas - try that if you are not doing so already. Join some group in your area. Yoga CDs are easily available, can be downloaded from the net.

Visualizing the nerve - You're to visualize a silver /light coloured thread, that's when you are "seeing" from outside of it. The thread will grow in size gradually. At some point you will be inside the nerve and so see only a "ring". But more importantly,for now, just feel the energy flow following your awareness. I do not at all mind answering your questions but Yogani says it all so much better than I in the lessons. Do read up on those. I've never gotten the hang of posting links to the lessons concerned.

Enjoy your practices

Sey
Go to Top of Page

shades

Sweden
35 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2012 :  04:03:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I will have a look at the Asanas exercises, thank you.

A few more questions to be answered if it feels comfortable; Is the visualizing supposed to be inside the body? Or like an image infront of your eyes? The last one is easier to visualize... Sorry to be "a nag" but I can't find a clear answer in the lesson description even if my first impression said to visualize inside body.

Would like to do it correctly :) At least till you get a hang of the practices.
And yes, enjoying is important! Thanks for reminding me

Namaste,
shades
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2012 :  03:32:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, the visualizing is inside the body, tracing the nerve inside the spinal column. As you move your awareness up and down, you visualize the light thread /nerve. You will at some point actually see it with no effort at all. However, it will not stay, fixed, there. It has a tendency of moving to the center of your body as the energy flow grows in size. Don't move your awareness to visualization. Your awareness should stay with the tracing up and down, feeling the energy flow.

I remember the first time I realized I was actually seeing it and not just visualizing. I sneezed unexpectedly and it vibrated.

Glad to be of help

Sey
Go to Top of Page

shades

Sweden
35 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2012 :  07:37:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I understand that it should come fairly by it self, and maybe I am overthinking/over doing.
Feels like I am back at the beginning of my SB-pracice, not that you haven't helped me, just that I maybe some how got it but confused my self and didn't know that I was sort of on the spot.

I know, sneezing is annoying during meditation. Always make you feel uncomfortable, right? :)

Think.. I just have to continue and maybe even move on to the next level, which I have tried but took a step back since it started som fire inside me and I overloaded. Don't want to burn to fast.

So, I'll just keep practicing I guess and remember the skipping part if a huge blocking comes once more.

Namaste,
shades

Edited by - shades on Mar 08 2012 07:42:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

mathurs

United Kingdom
197 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2012 :  10:04:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Shades, Hi - a slightly late reply - sorry.
I have started to get neck pain/ strain these days as well - but that is mainly due to the auto movements that I get during SB and DM. But something that has helped in the past is adding an addition pillow when I sit - it seems to help with posture and reduces neck pain when it is not caused by the auto movements.
Go to Top of Page

shades

Sweden
35 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2012 :  6:18:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi mathurs,

Acctually you hit me with the right subject; the posture part. I will try an extra pillow :) Because I am a bit too close to the wall of back support when sitting. My head wants to rest against the wall even if it is slightly more comfortable, and less strained if you have your neck straight. In my opinion.

Thank you for the reply though, I hope that your movements will be less. Something I noticed is that there seems to be some strain in the neck in "normal cases" just to make it stable. A small strain, that just keeps the neck in place without headache.

If the movements are not too strong during practice, just a slight focus on the neckpart, or a small allowing of tension would cause some stability without headache.

shades
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2012 :  12:43:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Try tilting the head slightly forward (drop chin slightly) to open the back of the neck.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

shades

Sweden
35 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2012 :  05:43:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've tried tilting now and it worked okay.

shades
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2012 :  06:25:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
By the way, what is your sitting position? Are you sitting in Sidhasana?
Go to Top of Page

shades

Sweden
35 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2012 :  5:02:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Right now I'm at lesson 55 with Mulhabanda. Haven't yet reached lesson 75 with Siddhasana.

I don't know the difference really...

My position is to sit with one pillow against the wall, my back resting, and my neck tilting forwards from the wall.

shades
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2012 :  01:05:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That is just fine. One thing at a time. Take time to settle and stabilize into a practice before adding anything else.

Have a nice weekend

Sey
Go to Top of Page

shades

Sweden
35 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2012 :  3:59:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, as I have been seying somewhere I went too fast in the beginning and burned alot so to speak. At least I would like to feel comfortable technically before making progress. Otherwise you will be seeing me on the forum alot more, he he...

All the best!
shades
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000