AYPsite.org Forum
 Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 After the Ecstasy, the Laundry
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2012 :  09:11:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Just finishing up "After the Ecstasy, the Laundry" by Jack Kornfield. It's the first book by this author that I have read, really enjoyed it, a great read.

One of the more open, honest and balanced perspectives about the spiritual journey I have come across so far, filled with many interesting accounts of personal experiences by the world's well known "spiritual masters" and teachers. A large part of the book is dedicated to living the realizations in daily life that come out of awakening experiences. A realistic and practical look at living life fully in every moment.

"Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened people, there is only enlightened activity"
Suzuki Roshi

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2012 :  11:17:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I just finished reading this as well. I actually posted a little rant about it (in terms of Kornfield's supposition that ecstasy doesn't last--Yogani seems to suggest otherwise--that in fact, ecstasy refines, and thereby life becomes a non-stop flow of ecstatic bliss. As I progress, my personal experience is confirming this as well). I would like to write a book called "After the Ecstasy, the Ecstatic Bliss." Or maybe: "After the Ecstasy, the Full-body Orgasmic Laundry."

But I really did enjoy this book because Kornfield did some major journalistic homework to conduct all those interviews and gather such a wide spectrum of experience from the spiritual community. It's full of ground-level wisdom from long-time practitioners. It's not just abstract, whimsical doodling. It's an amalgamation of true stories told through a somewhat Buddhist lens. Bravo!

Thanks for sharing this.

Edited by - Bodhi Tree on Feb 25 2012 11:41:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

chit-ananda51

India
127 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2012 :  1:51:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Anthem and Bodhi

Thanks for bringing up Jack Kornfield. I just checked a preview of what he says in 'Path with heart.'(Amazon) Quite similar to the insights and wisdom pearls shared by our beloved Yogani...but from a different perspective.

In that sense, I am grateful, as when I had a spiritual awakening in 2009, I went through a phase of isolation, alienating from society(self-imposed), disconnection with family and even close friends. It was all a process as I now look back.

Now as I grow..Yogani's writings and articles helped me understand the balance between spiritual/material life - ways of integrating them and especially the catchy phrase of 'spectacular ordariness' or 'extra-ordinary ordinariness' . They all helped me reconcile limitless possibilities with our limited existence.

Thanks again for sharing your wisdom.

Love
Chitananda
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000