Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 Sanskrit
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

img

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  10:45:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I am getting ready to learn some Sanskrit and am looking for a textbook. The goal is to be able to read yoga-related works.
If anyone has suggestions I'd be very interested and grateful.

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  11:13:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, that's an undertaking and a half. Would be interested in learning a bit.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  11:47:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a book my dad used to learn Sanskrit:
http://www.mediafire.com/?1251e89zsp0pfn8

It is also available at Amazon to buy.
Go to Top of Page

img

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  12:15:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Shanti, I love you!!!
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  12:17:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hope it helps.

PS: Let us know how it goes....

Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  1:04:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Brilliant, thanks Shanti Can you supply your Dad in a similar manner?
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  1:08:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  1:41:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
good luck....i know the basics....but it is not that easy
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  1:42:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks Shanti, good reference to have for any occasion, or even just to have some sense of what Sanskrit is really like
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  2:02:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by maheswari

good luck....i know the basics....but it is not that easy

Nominated teacher when will we be doing our first lesson ?

Edited by - karl on Feb 16 2012 2:03:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  2:13:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

oh not a teacher at all....just the very basics...alphabet,writing deities names,few mantras or verses...and that is it....when i looked at the book mentioned by Shanti, i realized heck i dont know a thing lolll
Go to Top of Page

img

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  3:32:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am looking forward to putting in the work and then reading the Ayurvedic books. Then I'll know what the Real Thing says.

Edited by - img on Feb 16 2012 3:33:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  3:34:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by maheswari

quote:

oh not a teacher at all....just the very basics...alphabet,writing deities names,few mantras or verses...and that is it....when i looked at the book mentioned by Shanti, i realized heck i dont know a thing lolll

Modesty is a good sign in a great teacher
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  4:08:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Modesty is a good sign in a great teacher

it is rather: Modesty is a good sign
Go to Top of Page

img

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  01:18:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Maheswari, since you're the one who knows the most Sanskrit among us, it's only fair that you'd be our teacher, or at least a consultant.
It'll be fun!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000