AYPsite.org Forum
 Illuminated Poetry, Quotations and Stories
 Adyashanti wisdom on believing our thoughts
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2011 :  10:48:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Just love this guy's way of putting it. Reading his latest book Falling into Grace:

"Why do we believe the thoughts in our head? We don't believe the thoughts in someone else's head, when they speak them to us. When we read a book - which is nothing but the recording of somebody else's thoughts - we can take them or leave them. But why is it that we are so prone to grasp at the thoughts that occur within our own mind - to hold onto them and become identified with them?"

Edited by - emc on Dec 10 2011 10:48:43 AM

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2011 :  1:19:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What's the answer to the questions?
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2011 :  1:49:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
cause we are highly delusional
Go to Top of Page

gatito

United Kingdom
179 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2011 :  01:09:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Like all good answers - both funny and true
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2011 :  06:40:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
and demented too
Go to Top of Page

amoux

United Kingdom
266 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2011 :  06:57:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
We're delusional when we believe that thought represents reality
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2011 :  08:19:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by amoux

We're delusional when we believe that thought represents reality

Well that's true and not true at the same time. Thought does represent reality. If we could constantly be aware that it is a representation we would be much closer to the truth. The problem is we confuse reality with representations.
Go to Top of Page

amoux

United Kingdom
266 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2011 :  08:24:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Etherfish
[Thought does represent reality.

Are you kidding me?
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2011 :  08:46:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Etherfish has a point....Oneness includes all even the relative thoughts...
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2011 :  09:18:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by amoux

quote:
[Thought does represent reality.

Are you kidding me?

Maybe I should use other words:
Thoughts are an abstraction that allows us to talk about things that are not in front of us at the moment. In that way they are a representation of reality. I didn't mean they are official spokespeople!
Go to Top of Page

amoux

United Kingdom
266 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2011 :  09:36:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by maheswari

Etherfish has a point....Oneness includes all even the relative thoughts...

I don't see any arguments about that
Go to Top of Page

amoux

United Kingdom
266 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2011 :  09:37:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Maybe I should use other words:
Thoughts are an abstraction that allows us to talk about things that are not in front of us at the moment. In that way they are a representation of reality. I didn't mean they are official spokespeople!

Whew - that's a relief!
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  10:26:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
But why is it that we are so prone to grasp at the thoughts that occur within our own mind - to hold onto them and become identified with them?

quote:
What's the answer to the questions?

Noone grasps at thoughts, it just looks like so. Even Adya's words ar part of the god-cheat that noone can escape.
Go to Top of Page

Swan

India
256 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  11:52:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think we believe in our thoughts because those arise from our mental conditioning, which gives us a feel that we know where the thought is coming from, and a feel that we see the reason behind it. It's like the thought is the weather and the mental conditioning is the climate. When we face other's thoughts (which arose from a different mental conditioning), we take the thought and try to understand it in the light of our mental conditioning. When they do not jel well, we fail to see the base, and label the though as wrong or baseless.

When we are successful in relating both, we like and agree with the thoughts, but chances are there that what we understand is actually far off from what was intended to be communicated
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2012 :  08:30:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree Swan. This is why people disagree; it is a disagreement of how words represent reality, not the subject at hand.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000