Building a Daily Practice with Self-Pacing
 Self pacing to a fault?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LucienneK

Canada
28 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2011 :  5:12:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have been practicing for a few years now and have found that I am a sensitive meditator. Right now I have been doing 12 minutes of DM twice a day with lots of rest afterwards and things have been going great for quite a while. I have tried a few times to add to my practice, most recently 3 minutes of spinal breathing. I did this for 2 days but ended up only being able to have a morning practice both days. On the second day, I got kinda emotional,(which isn't that unheard of as I am 4 months pregnant! ) and had a headache which finally left this morning. I ended up leaving out the spinal breathing today and have felt better.

My question is, can there be a bit of normal overload that happens for a short period after adding to your practice? Maybe more so for sensitive practitioners? Should I push through the overload a little bit and see if things will smooth out?

I'm getting a little frustrated as I feel like I'm stuck at a stand still. I would really like to further my practice and continue to grow and strengthen from it but feel as though every time I try to take a tiny step forward, I'm pushed back two.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Edited by - LucienneK on Dec 02 2011 9:03:49 PM

Yaming

Switzerland
112 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2011 :  3:42:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What if you try to just do a few breath cycles of pranayama? Maybe just 2 and see how it goes. I know it's almost nothing, but hey if you react so strongly to it maybe a tiny baby step will be the right thing to try. Important is, that you do strictly stay with it. So if you do not get any overlaod symptoms from 2 I would not recommend increasing it for a few weeks at least and then add maybe another 2. Bet on the turtois! :)

Edited by - Yaming on Dec 03 2011 3:53:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

JDH

USA
331 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2011 :  8:41:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
When I am feeling the desire to add a new practice, but am running into self pacing issues with it - I will do it one time, and then wait a week or two to try again. After adding it once a week, I eventually increase its frequency.
Go to Top of Page

LucienneK

Canada
28 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2011 :  5:14:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the great advice JDH and Yaming! I've started adding three cycles at the beginning of each practice and so far things have been going smoothly. If I run into any rockiness I will try only doing it once a week and go from there.
Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000