Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 The power of elecronic comunication
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2006 :  11:05:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone

I wonder if anyone has noticed the power of electronic communication via e-mail or indeed forums to generate an almost uncanny closeness between individuals of a like mind.

Everyone is aware of the power of the written word you only have to read Yogani’s writing to see that but this seems to be something else, as the quality of the writing appears to have no relevance to the closeness it generates almost as if the receiving of the mail creates a connection between individuals sometimes thousands of miles apart.

RICHARD

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2006 :  12:13:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Richard - You bring up an interesting question. My first reaction is that we're writing about a subject that's dear to us, so it's natural that we feel bonded to each other. There is truly no one else with whom I can talk about my internal experiences and be so well-received.

On a less positive note, I think the reason we feel so close to each other through our correspondence is due to the fact that in our writing we promote those qualities in ourselves which we most admire, and easily hide those which are less worthy. Without human contact, it's easy to become larger than life, and to imagine that the reader of one's epistle is a minor saint in her own right. In short, it's all about projection. If we were to have an AYP retreat and spend a solid week with each other, we'd undoubtedly come away with an entirely new forum; one based in reality rather than ether.

Go to Top of Page

ranger

USA
45 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2006 :  3:20:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit ranger's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I wonder if anyone has noticed the power of electronic communication via e-mail or indeed forums to generate an almost uncanny closeness between individuals of a like mind
Not so long ago it seemed that at certain times the exact right book would fall into my hands. Over the last three years in particular, I've had the experience of finding the "exact right website." Why shouldn't synchronicity flow through any available channels?
quote:
If we were to have an AYP retreat and spend a solid week with each other, we'd undoubtedly come away with an entirely new forum; one based in reality rather than ether.
Not necessarily. I tend to be choosy about my retreats, opting for situtations of meditation/inspiring talks/quiet time, with a break from cooking/laundry/day job. To me, that's what "retreat" means. Under such circumstances, I easily find affinity with strangers.

On the other hand, one could design a "reality based" based retreat along the lines of that "reality TV" show, Trading Spouses. Given a choice, I know which "reality" I'd pick. As British author Kingsley Amis observed, "Nice things are nicer than nasty ones."
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2006 :  3:37:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Richard,
Actually we create an energetic connection through our mail and one can actually charge the mail with energy(some do this to give Reiki attunements distantly)or any inanimate object can be treated this way.I have felt Yogani's energies when reading his posts, very soft and gentle.When we simply think of others we create an energetic connection.
L&L
Dave

'the mind can see further than the eyes'
Go to Top of Page

Yoda

USA
284 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2006 :  11:48:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yoda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yoda here is *way* too sexy to be on a retreat. I'd hate to distract everyone from the business at hand!

*I'm too sexy for my cat...*
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2006 :  12:01:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Yoda, you manly sexpot, for a good laugh at the end of my day. Yours will be a one-man retreat.
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2006 :  02:46:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i have felt many times what feels like a direct energetic or telepathic connection while chatting on the internet. sometimes it is uncanny how powerful it is. and i can feel when it is "on" or "off" pretty easily.this has often been with someone whom i have not yet met face to face but when we met the familarity was very strong and easy. it is fairly rare but very poalpable when it happens. it is funny in contrast to those connections that don't have it but i do feel a sort of psychic link with certain people online. much easier with chat than posts or email. something about real time makes it work for me
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2006 :  06:31:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've just noticed my typing mistake in the spelling of electronic in the heading. Has this some dark and secret meaning or have I perhaps invented a new word to describe the phenonemom.

RICHARD

Edited by - Richard on Apr 24 2006 06:32:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2006 :  08:28:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I was never a part of an online community before.. But I like it here. I do feel connections with people, I do feel emotions and love in posts.. I can generally tell when David is being sarcastic or funny..
The one thing that I have felt the most here is - I can feel people change.. So many here have grown.. outlooks have changed, and are still changing.. You can tell what kind of phase a person is going through when you read what they write..
This connection I think comes with every one here being on the same path.. also, most have gone through similar experiences and can relate to one another.. what are the chances of finding another soul in your neighborhood who understands what you are saying.. without, like Meg put it.. "the glazed eye response, or the oh-you-poor-dear head tilt."... Hey maybe others who read my post do that.. but at least I don't see it.
Meg you are right though.. "it's all about projection", this place does give you a false sense of security.. the only positive in that is.. it tides you through a low.. and then there is the core practice to take you the rest of the way...

So when are you guys organizing this retreat? Yo Yoda.. we will take the distraction.. Hey maybe it will increase our ecstatic conductivity !!!
Go to Top of Page

Yoda

USA
284 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2006 :  2:56:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yoda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Seriously, I'm thinking about putting together a little retreat center a few years down the line. It'll be in the SE USA. Either outside of Athens, GA or outside of Asheville, NC. Don't know much more than that, but that it'll be free to attend. Probably just start with a small, casual weekend type get together and go from there. Try to run a plan b schedule for family members/kids who don't want to practice. I'm just brainstorming at the moment. I'll want to bring up my income one notch to make it happen in Athens and two notches to make it happen in Asheville. So that's the plan. Anyone interested in buying land alongside of mine or to do the same thing in another area is free to brainstorm with me. Maybe we could start a fresh thread on the subject.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000