Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 upped med time
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lmaher22

USA
217 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2011 :  8:54:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I upped my meditation time a month or so ago from 20 to 30 minutes after putting it off a bit longer than I should have. Surprisenly, my meditations seem as if they are going faster and feeling better. The last few weeks I've been noticing more that my eyes are drifting to stay fixed where the third eye is, though I do feel a slight 'strain' headache. Anyway, I hope I keep advancing.
This site is such a blessing.
Best to all,
Larry

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2011 :  03:56:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I try not to look at the clock too often, but I relax more fully after 10-12 minutes of sitting practices - most often, 1 sponaneous very deep breath, and the everyday shopping-list thoughts caaaaaaalm dooooown.

Then, between 15 and 20 (or 30, ocassionally) min., time seems to kinda move faster

After more than 30 minutes (which I sit very rarely), there's usually more friction again as the med. process digs deeper, most likely into heavier life-long hangups and traumas. I don't consciously know which ones or how, but it usually feels good after. (As they say in zen: each time you do your sitting med., you purify Karma). In my exp. and common sense, physical activity and earthing become vital to stay in balance when upping the time. Self pacing the self pacing

L & L to everybody

Edited by - HathaTeacher on Oct 15 2011 04:05:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2011 :  10:30:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I remember the advice to not go over ~20 minutes of deep meditation so we can keep a handle on things (self-pacing), because with the promise of yoga, doing something regularly with stability will still mean building great momentum that one day may catch up to the practitioner. Also, how the DM session goes does not matter, and instead the suggestion is to use daily life as a guideline for whether it is too much or perhaps too little.

With that in mind, I too likely go over the time limit, especially now since I stopped checking how long my sessions are altogether. I rely on my body's cues (ex. legs need to unfold and refold) and the general habit (internal timer) to gauge whether it will be longer or shorter than the usual.

Sambhavi is usually for spinal breathing pranayama and yoni mudra, and if it happens as an automatic yoga during DM, it is still recommended to return to the mantra. The solar centering enhancement has helped me with alleviating slight pressure in the head.

All the best to your continued path

"Over time, the experience will change inside and outside meditation as our nervous system becomes more pure inside. Then we will lose the mantra even quicker! We will close our eyes and be gone into inner silence." - Procedure with mantra
Go to Top of Page

lmaher22

USA
217 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2011 :  09:52:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you both very much.
Gratefully,
L
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000