Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Slow and Patient
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

escapado

Germany
88 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2011 :  08:40:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hey guys

I noticed that when I stretch out the iam (when I think like: iiiiiiiaaaaam, instead of keeping it short) my awareness goes inside of the body (primarily felt in the chest area and below). Anyway it's not only this but everything that "stretches" the experience that I am in seems to make me more patient and change something in my perception. Is this being meditative?
Like when I walk and go as slow as it takes me to be fully aware of my body and everything I see. (But actually I am not _fully_ aware of myself or my surroundings - a little bit more than when I go faster paced, tho)
This has a good side: you seem to be more in the present because you are patient and don't think about doing things all the time.

Still, this is not awareness(?). But it could bring up some. Or be useful. I don't know. I don't want to loose myself on a sideway I want to stay on track, so what do you people know/think/feel about it?

PS Nadi Shodhana also does this to me as I watch the breath while inhaling/exhaling and try to tke it as slow but comfortable as possible

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2011 :  11:31:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello,

the suggested path in ayp is to not worry about whether you are meditative or not, or what happens or does not happen, as each constitutes a deliberate thought and therefore is a gentle sign that you are off the simple mantra repetition, in which case we return to the mantra at whatever level we find ourselves.

We don't alter the mantra deliberately to adjust the course of our meditation since, as you say, you can lose yourself on a sideway that way, instead of keeping it simple and therefore as effective as possible.

Sometimes I find myself creating spaces between "i" and "am" or find the "iam" stretching out or rate of repetition slowing down. All of those don't matter as far as I recall so long as we don't create them deliberately.

No forcing the mantra, but no constant yanking out of whatever happens by clinging back to the mantra either, just back to back at whatever level we find ourselves.

*just noticed you posted it in other systems. in that case, I don't know about variations in mantra yoga and effects they have, or at least I haven't from using ayp.

Edited by - AumNaturel on Oct 06 2011 11:37:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

escapado

Germany
88 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2011 :  07:33:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hey aumnaturel, thanks for your reply!
I know I know, we just think the mantra and remember it whenever we find ourselves to be off of it :P
I've been coming back to that lately since, well since it's the way we're supposed to do it :)
But I postet this in this forum category because for me it's not exactly about the mantra itself

It's more about what we do outside of meditation. It feels like inward sensing but waht it actually is I don't know. I would like to do something ALL the time. At least some basic stuff. Nothing that will overpurify too much, but still does the centering part - I am way too loose and I don't feel comfortable like that

Edited by - escapado on Oct 07 2011 07:45:11 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000