Illuminated Poetry, Quotations and Stories
 Byron Katie quote
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2011 :  06:19:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
"How do I know that I don’t need what I want?
when i dont have it" (Byron Katie)

whippoorwill

USA
450 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2011 :  11:04:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What an awesome outlook on material possessions! Makes it much easier to let the want go. But what if what I wanted was something like freedom or equality? Is it right to let that go?
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  01:42:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
not only for material possessions but also for relationships....
as for freedom and equality...do u feel you have no freedom nor equality?
Go to Top of Page

whippoorwill

USA
450 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  10:45:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I wasn't thinking of myself in that instance. Sorry, I make my living as an analyst. If there's a rule, I start looking for the exceptions. I almost can't help it. I am fortunate to have all my basic needs met and, in comparison to some, I have incredible wealth and privilege. I think there are a few basic needs: enough to eat, adequate shelter, and adequate clothing, freedom, and opportunity. Saying to someone who has gone hungry for over a week that they don't need food because they don't have it or they don't need freedom because they don't have it seems cruel.

But as a rule that only applies to myself, It's an incredibly liberating outlook on life.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  12:16:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That's funny Liz, that's exactly how I read it. I thought; we live privileged life to be able to say that.
I know people would say I'm "thinking too low - it was meant for a much higher level". But words have meaning on all levels, and authors should know that.
It's easy for people communicating on the net to forget that there is a class of people who aren't included. If you can't afford food, you probably don't have an internet connection.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  12:46:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
"Saying to someone who has gone hungry for over a week that they don't need food because they don't have it or they don't need freedom because they don't have it seems cruel"

Byron Katie in that quote was actually only talking about relationships.....so maybe i should have pointed that out from the begining

yes Ether we do live a privileged life....we should be grateful

Edited by - maheswari on Sep 17 2011 2:41:33 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000