Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 dropping lotus for a bit
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lmaher22

USA
217 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2011 :  6:33:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
The lotus position has become a bit of a hindarence to me for the past few months. I'm paying too much attention to the pain and sloopy posture. So now I'm just playing with different positions (as Yogani suggested) trying to find something 'just right' like Red Riding Hood. Sitting on the end of the bed with my dogs on some kind of support has been pretty good for the past day or so. So it's not so Kosher, so what?
Peace,
L

whippoorwill

USA
450 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2011 :  10:17:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
So what, indeed! I can't do lotus at all. My hips and knees just don't want to go that way. When my feet turn out, my knees point in. I can manage a decent criss-cross legs, but that's about it. Lack of lotus doesn't seem to affect the meditation at all. Is it better now that you're more comfortable?
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2011 :  10:28:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm trying to perfect a classic lazy-boy position so far so good.

The lotus is a way to keep the proper curve in your lower back so you can sit for a long time without back support and without pain. It's good if you are in a cave with only sharp rocks on the wall. But It's not necessary to sit without back support.

If you insist though, get a zafu cushion on ebay. You sit on it with your knees hanging off so they are lower than your butt. This also puts the proper curve in your back for long term sitting without pain.
Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  8:19:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I tried sitting all straight back without back support in lotus etc. Trying to be like Steven Seagal in one of his many true story films....

But I found it is really uncomfortable; painful; offputting.

Just be comfortable. Had the best sessions since being comfy. And my ankles like me for it too. They told me.

Edited by - woosa on Aug 23 2011 8:29:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2011 :  01:58:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
keep it simple...drop anything that makes you unconfortable...

asanas /hatha yoga are only a minor aspect of the spritual journey

as for ayp sittings while doing SB and DM..the lotus position is not the required posture ..usually it is siddasana....in case one did not incorporate siddasana in his/her practice yet....one can sit in whatever posture he/she feels confortable....
Go to Top of Page

wakeupneo

USA
171 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2011 :  12:55:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit wakeupneo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
just take it easy and don't push.

it's not uncommon for long-time mediators who exert themselves in the various lotus positions to have serious knee problems in the future.
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  01:49:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I used to be able to sit in lotus comfortably for hours on end. Now that I am 48 I can no longer do that because of knee pain. However, a specific posture is not necessary for meditation. The 2 basic requirements are: to be comfortable, and to have a straight back to facilitate the flow of prana in the spine.
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2011 :  02:29:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I just recently dropped doing my AYP practice in Lotus Posture after many years. I think I finally got comfortable in my skin, and now just do what feels right. Lotus gave a nice upright posture and no knee pain at all. After a half hour or so though my hips would be aching and a general tension would be felt in my spine that had to be relieved by a long stay in savasana. Siddhasana doesn't work for me either. It is a strain on my hips and spine to widen the knees enough to get my heel centered which is uncomfortable. So now I sit cross legged with one foot on top of the other shin and the other foot under the opposite shin. Very simple and comfortable, sort of a loose siddhasana. I realized after awhile that I was taking care to relax my arms and let my hands rest wherever they needed but that my legs were locked in lotus preventing natural flow of energy in the lower body. Releasing this lock allowed my breath to drop into the pelvis where it had been blocked. Also, during the chin pump practice I can now feel the circular flow permeate my whole spine from head to tail, whereas before it was mostly upper body. I think that this time I will continue this way rather than going for a formal posture. The real yoga is internal anyway, and the energy has a natural way of finding the right position if you let it rather than constrain it. That is my current opinion from my recent practice.

Edited by - Victor on Dec 13 2011 02:39:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2011 :  5:17:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Interestingly, now I seem to have found siddhasana and it works for me. Maybe all that lotus opened something up. Now doing AYP very clasically :)
Go to Top of Page

yogesh

USA
153 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2011 :  5:41:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am happy with half lotus
Go to Top of Page

img

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2012 :  09:54:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Victor

Interestingly, now I seem to have found siddhasana and it works for me. Maybe all that lotus opened something up. Now doing AYP very clasically :)

Could you please tell more about the time period when you left lotus/siddhasana and then found siddhasana again? We could potentially benefit from your experience.
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2012 :  2:07:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It was over a period of several years. At this point i agree with Yogani that Siddhasana seems like teh best pose for this particular practice. Iyengar said that for pranayama that Padmasana, Siddhasana, Virasana,Sukhasana,Swastikasana and Baddha konasana are all aceptable but that in his opinion Padmasana is most balanced for the entire spine while Siddhasana opens the upper back more and Virasana opens the lower back more. In my experience working with the exctatic conductivity in AYP that Siddhasana allows the best energy flow with least effort. Padmasana crestes a grip in the lower body that restricts some energy flow.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000