Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 use of mala
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JosephUK

United Kingdom
212 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  6:03:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I've started using a mala for my deep meditation.

It seems to have the effect of deepening my meditation by giving my body something to focus on and letting go of the mantra so it can go mega deep.
lots of inner silence

Joe

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  6:37:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just FYI : http://www.aypsite.org/86.html
Go to Top of Page

Vayu

USA
40 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  11:04:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Does wearing malas(especially rudraksha ones) have any purification effects at all? I've read in bunch of places that rudraksha malas are supposed to have great effects for meditation. Is this true based on the experience of the members here?
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  03:34:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
nothing external is gona purify your nervous system only practice will do that...malas are just tools for counting the mantras ....
IMHO it may be a sort of external distraction
anyaway if one wants to use a mala...the mala should be used only for mantra repetition ,it should not be weared like a fashion necklace...because you are building energy on it so better preserve that energy instead of exposing it to outside energy pollution
if you want to wear it as a fashion (sometimes i do that ) get an additional mala only for this usage
Go to Top of Page

JosephUK

United Kingdom
212 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  05:37:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I read the lesson shanti, makes sense.

i guess it just points out the fact that i am very aware of my body during meditation.

perhaps a mala might exacerbate that.

Joe
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  08:08:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by JosephUK

I read the lesson shanti, makes sense.

i guess it just points out the fact that i am very aware of my body during meditation.

perhaps a mala might exacerbate that.

Joe

In deep meditation we are trying to move inward. Anything that takes us outward, if possible to avoid, we avoid. Some people light incense sticks, some use mala/beads, some light a lamp/candle, some listen to music or guided meditation... all of these are keeping part of our focus outward. It is fine in the beginning at times, but best to learn to go inward without external crutches. Then you can meditate anywhere and anytime. And as we get more and more still, then every moment is like meditation, and the external crutches may not be practical then... then we have to let go those crutches... another thing to let go... so right from the beginning, we get used to going inward without any external crutches, just us, our mantra and our stillness... even though in the beginning it may seem hard, in the long run, it is oh so worth it.

It is wonderful reading all your sharings. Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  11:56:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Joseph,
The use of mala is not meant to be for meditation, it is a means of purifying the nervous system.One can be taken inward(in fact it is a goal of japa to achieve samadhi)but it is a separate practice from meditation.The effects are genuine and powerful but it is impossible to say how much purification will take place and is easy to overload.I suspect this is one reason why Yogani does not promote it.If you wish to use a mala you should use it as a separate practice but be aware of overload.When I go to India we do many hours japa daily but it is in a controlled environment.
L&L
Dave

Edited by - riptiz on Aug 12 2011 4:53:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

Vayu

USA
40 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2011 :  6:21:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Maheswari, you mentioned that one can "build energy on in". Can you explain this more? Does this mean that if I wear mala around the neck only while doing SBP and DM, it can help my practices? I understand that its external and only my practice will make the major changes; but every little bit helps for under-sensitive meditater like me.

Edit: I think my main question is: do rudraksha(or other kinds) mala-beads have any use besides counting mantra? Will simply wearing them while meditating have any beneficial effects?

Edited by - Vayu on Aug 13 2011 6:26:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2011 :  07:54:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
malas are only for Japa....ie repeating usually an Ishta mantra (mantra of your chosen ideal)...it is a different practice than SB and DM....it is a separate practice that can be done but be careful not to overload...so those who do Japa offcourse will be building some addtional energy ...that is why a mala is a personal item not to be shared
wearing a mala (even if rudrashka) is not going to help...only pratice will...thinking otherwise is like believing any other superstition...

in SB and DM there is no usage of malas.....do not worry your inner self well help you improve with time... at the right moment for you ,you will start to blossom...just practice without thinking about improvement...remember meditation is the priority practice not Japa...
practice wisely

Go to Top of Page

Vayu

USA
40 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2011 :  4:35:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you maheswari for the reply. I do not practice japa; I have practiced it many months ago and it would make me really dull and sleepy. SBP and DM on the other hand makes me feel very refreshed. So, my question was about just using a mala around the neck as an additional possible tool for purification on top of the baseline AYP practices only, and not about using it with japa seperately. But as you have suggested, I will continue AYP without the mala. Its usually best to keep things simple :)
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  03:48:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
yep...best of luck
Go to Top of Page

JosephUK

United Kingdom
212 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2011 :  3:26:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
IT's interesting what you've all said.

i've been going through inumerable forms of practice over the years.

different mantra, different forms of yoga, different esoteric thought, buddhist philosophical analysis.

really attacking a sick (Psychotic) ego.

i'm kinda resting now i've found what i need, more importantly it's in me.

i don't even think i'm spiritual any more.

i'm simply witnessing the body and mind, no more symptoms of purification or energy experiences.

i've found mantak chia's system.

moving hormones around the body, cultivating sexual energy.

doing a grounding exercise which has been extremely valuable.

before i was really attached to energy experiences, now i'm busy in real life.

i guess health is more important for me than spirituality.

maybe i'll start yoga again.

sorry this isn't about malas, i guess it's just a sacred object.

i don't even understand purification of the nervous system.

i understand physical detox, you are what you eat, i understand watching thoughts, or internal experiences in order to still the mind, or to dissolve destructive emotions.

i understand purification of hormones, increasing quality.

just like the quality of inner silence changes after amaroli, filling in the gaps.

the hormones in the urine create the silence.

i guess i prefer a from the bottom up method. i.e. grounding and cultivating energy for life which will then overflow into the spiritual dimension.

rather than a mantra which resonates with the intangible "inner silence"

although having said that, i've had some of the best experiences with inner silence moving outwards to friends and colleagues, but i always felt like i was relying on that intangible nothingness which i could not control. sometimes it saved me, sometimes it didn't.

with tao i have a will, it maybe my ego, but i haven't quite denied, myself or personality, or my thoughts.

i still at this time need to have positive thoughts to be happy, constructive thoughts to make a plan.

it seems to me that yoga relies on surrender.

love and light

Joe
Go to Top of Page

mathurs

United Kingdom
197 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2011 :  05:46:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
All the best with your chosen path Joe!
Go to Top of Page

alecpeace

USA
95 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2015 :  2:06:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Vayu

Maheswari, you mentioned that one can "build energy on in". Can you explain this more? Does this mean that if I wear mala around the neck only while doing SBP and DM, it can help my practices? I understand that its external and only my practice will make the major changes; but every little bit helps for under-sensitive meditater like me.

Besides being mostly useless for AYP, if the mala is made of wood or plastic there is no energy output from it, it's just dead material. You may be referring to meditation crystals or gemstones, in that case you can clear the crystal, program it with intention, and place it within your auric field while meditating. There are many crystals which have a varied number of effects on the aura/mind/consciousness that can do any number of things for you depending on what you're trying to do. But of course, a correctly programmed crystal will only "assist" you on your DM journey if you're undersensitive, won't replace it. I think of meditation crystals as "a nice friend thats with me and perfectly in-tune with me for 20 minutes". I meditate with a sphere of malachite next to me and it has a calming energy that I feel when I begin DM. Holding it in your non dominant hand has a slightly stronger effect especially if can feel crystal energies. So, just hold a nice crystal in your hand, and forget its even there, begin DM as usual.

Edited by - alecpeace on Jul 23 2015 2:21:47 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000