Yoga and Relationships
 Loving friendship opening the heart
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

DreamWeaver

USA
47 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2024 :  02:30:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I wanted to share a beautiful experience I had recently which surprised me in its apparent spiritual effects, since it had nothing to do with spiritual practices (in the obvious sense). A bit over a year ago I started a new job, and there was another new hire that started the same day. We got to pick our cubicles, and she and I chose to sit next to each other. We quickly became friends and had many deep conversations at work. Her presence was very calming and comforting to me, and I was devastated when she left only a few months in. She, like me, can be a rather private and distant person, so I figured I'd never see her again. However, I was surprised and grateful when she reached out a few days later to reconnect.

We stayed in touch and hung out a few times last fall, and even went backpacking for a couple nights on some sand dunes on one of the Great Lakes. That was the first time I had backpacked with someone in many years, and we got along perfectly and travelled super well together. Then around the new year she moved a few states away for a new job. We've kept in contact ever since, catching up every month or two. And last spring, we decided we wanted to do another backpacking trip in the fall, but this time somewhere farther away where we could both fly into a big city and drive out to wherever. We decided on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington over the Labor Day weekend.

We both met a couple Friday's ago in Seattle and then spent the weekend meandering around the peninsula, seeing Hurricane Ridge, the Hoh Rainforest, and a night of wild camping on Shi Shi ("shy shy") beach. We even stayed one night in a super cool rustic cabin a couple miles into the woods with no running water and only a battery to run some string lights at night. It was both spooky and delightful. The entire trip was either deep conversations, sharing awesome music, or just being in silence with each other while admiring the stunning scenery. There were also several times where, although it was never said directly, we made it clear that we loved each other. This isn't romance, however. We're not involved that way, but the depth of connection is something we both feel.

I dropped her off at the airport on Tuesday and then drove down to the Oregon Coast and stayed there a few days to enjoy the beaches and reflect on all that had happened. I couldn't believe what I had just experienced. After years of being alone and doing everything alone, I finally got to share something special with someone I love, and that was so healing. The way her presence makes me feel is as if I have been in a hot desert for many years and have finally found a pool of clear, cool water. This calmness has stayed with me, and I've noticed a increase in activity in the back of my heart (the only part of my heart chakra I can usually feel). It feels like it contains this infinitesimally tiny point that, if I could just touch it right on with my attention, the heart would open. This isn't a new sensation, but that point became more obvious if that makes sense. I often now feel like I'm about to burst into tears for no real reason, and it's a beautiful feeling.

Something interesting to note is that she grew up with parents that were very involved with the TM community. She has mentioned that she has a practice of her own, but she doesn't talk about it much and I don't press. Anyways, I wanted to share this experience, as I'm incredibly grateful. I'm also a bit surprised that the most apparent spiritual progress I've made in a long time wasn't from a particular practice, but by spending time with someone that I love and loves me. I suppose that's the point of all this, anyways.

Edited by - DreamWeaver on Sep 14 2024 11:33:57 AM

Dogboy

USA
2281 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2024 :  04:15:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing DW, it is a very special relationship that you can be seen and accepted for what you are. The inner work required of a yogi naturally makes this lifestyle choice isolating, and as an older adult I am at times invisible it seems. I have had the chance to meditate with three AYPers this year (after eleven years, a first!) so I completely concur with your gratitude of being in presence, sharing words and more. With powerful connection, genitals don't necessarily need to be involved.
Go to Top of Page

DreamWeaver

USA
47 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2024 :  3:59:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000