Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 The Complexities of Self-Pacing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

elderberry

USA
37 Posts

Posted - May 22 2024 :  5:11:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone,

As I wrote in my post about 9 months ago I am still considering ramping up my practices significantly.

I would like to heed the warnings of self pacing as described in the AYP lessons. However, I believe I may be a bit under-sensitive to spiritual practices. Either that, or I've just gotten lucky along my path so far in that I have not experienced any detectable overload. For context, I've been performing twice daily SBP (10 minutes) & DM (20 minutes) for about 2 years at this point.

The point being, I have yet to experience any symptoms of overload that I've been able to recognize and attribute to spiritual practices. As such, I feel that I am a bit inexperienced in the art of self pacing. As someone who has never experienced overload, self pacing seems a bit difficult for two reasons:

1. The symptoms of overload are a bit all over the place. It would appear it can show up as headaches, fatigue, irritability, difficulty sleeping, tension, rashes, or any other manner of symptoms. If overload was as simple as getting a headache, it would be much easier to keep an eye out for. However, given that it can show up in so many ways, it seems like it may be a bit difficult to spot. Especially combined with point #2.

2. At the end of the day, sometimes the human body has headaches, irritability, tension, etc for its own reasons unrelated to spiritual progression. I've had plenty of times in my life prior to ever discovering spiritual practices, where I am irritable or have a headache.

- How is one expected to differentiate between a negative symptom induced by spiritual overload, or a negative symptom induced by regular bodily function?

- Are certain negative symptoms of overload more common than others? In my opinion, it's easier to be on the lookout for a smaller range of symptoms, rather than a larger more general one.

- Any other tips on recognizing overload in general, given the somewhat fuzzy and confusing nature of the body?

The best answer that comes to mind is one based on experimentation. Let's say one is experiencing irritability on a daily basis. If you significantly reduce spiritual practices, and the irritability goes away, then we can conclude it was likely the result of energetic overload. If we reduce practices and the irritability remains, we can conclude it may be the result of some other circumstance of life (lack of sleep, problems in one's work or relationship, etc).

Edited by - elderberry on May 22 2024 5:15:07 PM

Dogboy

USA
2242 Posts

Posted - May 24 2024 :  01:20:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
The best answer that comes to mind is one based on experimentation. Let's say one is experiencing irritability on a daily basis. If you significantly reduce spiritual practices, and the irritability goes away, then we can conclude it was likely the result of energetic overload. If we reduce practices and the irritability remains, we can conclude it may be the result of some other circumstance of life (lack of sleep, problems in one's work or relationship, etc).

Hello elderberry

I too have had little overload, and only then after my body found conductivity. I would second 'the best answer', it is the scientific approach, and as you move along in your yoga, you will get more confident in your inner guru. Try to become a witness to thoughts and practices. Do not be afraid to test your supposed boundaries, only by doing so do you know where you are.
Go to Top of Page

elderberry

USA
37 Posts

Posted - May 26 2024 :  4:31:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you dogboy. I appreciate your sentiment regarding testing boundaries.

Sometimes all the talk around self pacing can make me second guess myself, but at the end of the day I feel a deep desire to see how far I can push things. If I experience overload, I imagine I will be able to recognize it and adjust accordingly

Much of the success I've had in the "material world" has come from putting more energy into things, pushing harder, and trying harder. If 10 hours of work is beneficial, 20 hours is even better. And so on.

So as my bhakti yearns for more, that is my intuition with spirituality as well. To see how hard I can push it. However it would appear that there is some degree of paradox that exists within spirituality where pushing harder can produce the opposite effects we intend. It's quite an interesting balancing act to say the least.
Go to Top of Page

alain

Canada
23 Posts

Posted - May 29 2024 :  04:06:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
So as my bhakti yearns for more, that is my intuition with spirituality as well. To see how hard I can push it. However it would appear that there is some degree of paradox that exists within spirituality where pushing harder can produce the opposite effects we intend. It's quite an interesting balancing act to say the least.

Hi elderberry

Sometimes being bold pays off, Tristan once told us to push it a bit, I did just that and it really helped my practice. You will probably be able to notice symtomes of over purification without problem. If you feel that you are ready there are several practices and additions that can be added to your regular practice. Those are for example, Mudras and Bandhas and Samyama, I would suggest adding Samyama first. That way you can work at the same time on your internal silence, your energy cultivation, and experience the beneficial action of Samyama. Then when your Samyama is well established you could intinsify your energy cultivation with the addition of Mudras and Bandhas. Then saddle up. LOL #128518;

Cheers
alain
Go to Top of Page

FL Souza

Brazil
1 Posts

Posted - May 30 2024 :  10:22:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe the rule is to feel good on a daily basis. This must be the effect of the practices.

If you're feeling bad (whatever that means to you), you may be overreacting.

I already notice some specific signs of when I'm overdoing it, but this only came after several overloads.
Go to Top of Page

selfpaste

Spain
2 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2024 :  1:13:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello everyone,

I honestly have also found it really difficult to tell sometimes, whether specific symptoms are actually due to overloading. Though I wouldn't say that I'm that under-sensitive.

I have also often felt irritable in the past, before starting meditation and I would say that it has gotten better over time. Still, when I find myself in a situation, getting irritated by something someone is saying to me, I find it really hard to tell whether this is an overload symptom or not

Maybe a certain amount of irritation, difficulty interacting with others that are close to me is simply part of where I'm at on my path. Still, I have to be careful not to overdo it.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2024 :  2:34:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Selfpaste,

In general, if you are not sure if symptoms of overload are actually being caused by your spiritual practices or not then it is best to assume that they are and to self-pace accordingly. This way you are playing safe and over time you will gradually develop a better sense of what is causing what.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000