Yamas & Niyamas - Restraints & Observances
 Music
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Niels Jacob

France
50 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2024 :  8:05:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone,

There's in music a such deep involvement of the senses, the mind, and also the heart. I am personnally extremely sensitive to it: I used to listen a lot of music : smooth electronic sounds, heavy rock, deep house, rap, reggae etc.. I'm also musician and am producing music on my own, I played also in a few bands.
Now I realized that music was for me more than a shelter than something else, which kept me away from the real me. A very overwhelming distraction, in a certain way. The way it acts on me it's so deep, it can take me away from the physical world and put me in a certain mental state, which is apart from the world (very Hypnosis-like). Just like morphine or another sedative also. I realized this just a few days ago !
On the other hand, one can use music or certain specific sounds during a meditation. A mantra for example is also music.

I feel quite lost right now. To put it in another words: May music keep you away from the Divine, or may it be a wonderful gateway to It ?

What would you answer to that ? :)
Love all of you, Niels

PS: For now, I listen every day to white noise through the headphone. By doing this I can feel a great cold in my body. Very appreciable on a hot day !

alain

Canada
23 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2024 :  10:55:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Niels,

Music and spirituality have a long history, spiritual songs have existed since the dawn of mankind. Nothing bad can happen to you by listening to music.
Music is very powerful and is the driving force behind a lot ao spiritual singers. There are bands dedicated to spiritual music.
And sometimes spiritual music can come out of surprising places, take "Navras" by Juno Reactor, it is an adaptation of the Pavamana mantra. It is surprisingly modern and most people dont recognise it as such.

So, I say if its good for you and your spirituality, why not do it!

enjoy life

alain
Go to Top of Page

Niels Jacob

France
50 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2024 :  10:06:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for answering me alain. Navras is indeed a really nice song, it's a wonderful exemple of repeated loops and bass sounds, it can take us very deep ! I always considered electronic music as mantras due to its repetitive structure. Nonetheless It seems important to me to make the difference between secular and sacral music. Sacral music is definetly beneficial, regardless of the culture, they share the same goal.
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2024 :  05:28:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Niels,

If you are using music to escape facing your self and the world, then yes, it is escapism like any other form of escapism. If the music you are listening to is bringing you back to your self, then it is a good thing. Then you just have to find the right balance between centering your self using music, then going back into the world to act.
Every morning I am stuck in traffic, I listen to chants or gospel to center myself, in preparation of my working the day ahead. I do not listen to more than one or two (about 20 mins) because after that, it starts feeling like escapism. So, I go back to being in traffic. Balance is always the key.

Sey
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000