Intelligence drop with yoga?????
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

n/a

26 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2006 :  3:32:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit n/a's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello All -

A few years ago, I noticed that yogis tended to make a lot of mispellings, over and over again. I could almost guess which branch of yoga they practiced by the type of mistake they made. Recently, a fello yogi friend of mine told the wrong date on something, and tried to correct it when I brought it to his attention, but continued with a series of mistakes right up until the last moment when I had to jump in and save the entire program. What's up with that???? Yoga practioners seem to make all sorts of mistakes with increasing practice. Input anyone???

comdyne

PS - I even recall Yogani wrote "per sey" a few days ago, rather than per se, and he otherwise seems very articulate to me.

Edited by - n/a on Nov 04 2006 3:52:44 PM

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2006 :  3:52:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi comdyne,

Interesting observation. From observing myself, after doing AYP for almost 2 years, I have found that my brain tends to work better than before, with thinking and making less mistakes. It would be interesting to hear others observations too.
Go to Top of Page

yoginstar2

Netherlands
3 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2006 :  3:53:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit yoginstar2's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Combyne,
I've noticed this too and I am going to make a guess here - dyslectics are right brain people (btw I always mix up left and right brain but I think it is the right brain, the more intuitive one). With the mind in the clouds the more intuitive one starts to take over. And I have this feeling we are touching a realm at one point in our practices where things are diapositive in relation to our normal perceptions. Ie. 180 degrees turned around. I have this feeling it comes from that space, from the currents of the one brainhemisphere crossing over to the other one.
Go to Top of Page

n/a

26 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2006 :  4:01:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit n/a's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting, Yoginstar. I've always been more of a leftie myself, so perhaps that is why I can notice it where the right-brained ones are busy in the clouds.

comdyne

quote:
Originally posted by yoginstar2

Hi Combyne,
I've noticed this too and I am going to make a guess here - dyslectics are right brain people (btw I always mix up left and right brain but I think it is the right brain, the more intuitive one). With the mind in the clouds the more intuitive one starts to take over. And I have this feeling we are touching a realm at one point in our practices where things are diapositive in relation to our normal perceptions. Ie. 180 degrees turned around. I have this feeling it comes from that space, from the currents of the one brainhemisphere crossing over to the other one.

Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2006 :  8:28:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yer kdding rite?
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2006 :  8:39:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice way to get aquainted with us Comdyne.
Do you practice Yoga or just observe its possible faults? Can you tell me which spelling errors are associated with which Yoga schools? Enquiring minds want to know.....
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2006 :  8:41:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have my doubts about the strength of the correlation (or cause) relationship between yoga practice and misspelling. However, if there is one in certain circumstances, it could be caused by being more relaxed.
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2006 :  8:52:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi comdyne

I figer you must be practising a lot becase you mispeled fello.

Interesting study

In fun, Alan
Go to Top of Page

n/a

26 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2006 :  8:52:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit n/a's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Victor -

I must apologize if I offended you or others, that was certainly not my intent. It was an honest question and I really wanted to know if there might be something behind it. The response regarding the brain hemispheres sounds like it might have something to do with it. Yes, I practice yoga, mainly mantra and some of the higher tantras. I came to this discussion board because I had read some of Yogani's writings, was impressed, and am always open to learn something new, particularly if it might be of benefit. Have I misjudged? I can leave if that would make you feel better as I do not wish to upset your group.

Namaste,

comdyne

quote:
Originally posted by Victor

Nice way to get aquainted with us Comdyne.
Do you practice Yoga or just observe its possible faults? Can you tell me which spelling errors are associated with which Yoga schools? Enquiring minds want to know.....

Edited by - n/a on Nov 04 2006 9:28:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

n/a

26 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2006 :  9:14:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit n/a's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello David -

Yes, the relaxation certainly may be a contributing factor. I do seem to notice errors - spelling or just plain old-fashioned forgetfullness - more often amogst those who are intensely spiritual, fwiw.

Good day,

comdyne

quote:
Originally posted by david_obsidian

I have my doubts about the strength of the correlation (or cause) relationship between yoga practice and misspelling. However, if there is one in certain circumstances, it could be caused by being more relaxed.

Edited by - n/a on Nov 04 2006 9:26:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

n/a

26 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2006 :  9:32:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit n/a's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I assume I am in excellent company then. I just hate mis-splellings! At least I can validate my own point!

comdyne

quote:
Originally posted by Balance

Hi comdyne

I figer you must be practising a lot becase you mispeled fello.

Interesting study

In fun, Alan

Edited by - n/a on Nov 04 2006 9:57:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2006 :  9:33:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi comdyne

It seems a valid and interesting investigation. A little fun too I'm sure there was no great offense taken. I hope you stay with the forum and investigate with us further.

Peace, Alan
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2006 :  03:23:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Comdyne,
Generally I find that spelling mistakes are more common when typed as most probably are not proficient with the keyboard.Do you find this phenomena in written work also?
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2006 :  04:07:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Forgive me for being snappy and please don't leave. I just found it a bit startling as a first day post. Also didn't know anything about you or background. Honestly, yogis have been promoting the benefits of yoga for so long that perhaps its flaws have been overlooked. I guess I would just prefer to know who is criticizing our practice in order to respond positively
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2006 :  04:32:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All

For the past two years or so....whole words will be misplaced when I speak. I intend to say one word.....and then something completely different and out-of-the-connection will come out of my mouth. My daughters laugh....I laugh too. At work (at the clinic) - I would sit talking to my students....and all of a sudden the rest of the sentence would vanish.(No - I don't have amnesia or early alzheimers) They got used to it....and laughed too.

This did not happen consistantly.....but certain days...it would just be that way.

It's been a while since it happend now. And - it never happens when I am focused. When I am present, I am clear and consistant.

About 5 years ago, someone called Ed Bruder was in Oslo. He did a reading on me......it was amazing what came up.....he didn't understand half of it either. But one of the things he said....was that it was as if I was being "brainwashed". Today, I find this very consistent with the burning away of the personality; the conceptual, rigid part of my being.

So - I guess "faults" like this could come with the territory.

That said - it is absolutely non-important. It is just words, is it not?
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2006 :  04:52:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Great post Comdyne!
And welcome to the forum.
I think you are absolutely right. I am dyslectic, and I am aware that everything I write is full of spelling mistakes. Of course when I was at university, I would put everything through Word, and run the spell-check and grammar-check, before anyone saw it. You would have thought that I was an amazing speller! Now, I practice yoga. My mind is joyous. I am ecstatic. Who cares if I spell everything wrong!
Love and Light

Christi

p.s. I am not sure you can offend a Yogi (practicioner of yoga). You can only offend the person they think they are.
Go to Top of Page

n/a

26 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2006 :  06:14:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit n/a's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Dave -

Yes, I see mistakes in published books, strangely, many from the kriya lineage. Very odd . . . . . But it's not just spelling. It can be complete forgetfullness, as with my friend just a few days ago.

comdyne

quote:
Originally posted by riptiz

Hi Comdyne,
Generally I find that spelling mistakes are more common when typed as most probably are not proficient with the keyboard.Do you find this phenomena in written work also?
L&L
Dave

Edited by - n/a on Nov 05 2006 07:10:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

n/a

26 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2006 :  06:36:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit n/a's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello again Victor -

This was not a first day post. Although very new, I have posted for a few days now. I believe there is immense benefit to yoga, otherwise I wouldn't practice. I don't necessarily think there are "flaws", rather perhaps just different expressions. As stated in an earlier post, I see this [aloof???] behavior in some of the most spiritual people I know and I find it charming in it's own way. I guess I can be rather frank and forward at times and I am certainly not meant for political diplomacy! I do tend to question a lot so I apologize if that is perceived as criticism. We are all One, yes?, so I have nothing to gain from criticism. Maybe it has something to do with "be in the world, but not of the world". I have also noticed some VERY STRANGE behavior by very advanced yogis in India. It is all beautiful in it's own way.

comdyne

quote:
Originally posted by Victor

Forgive me for being snappy and please don't leave. I just found it a bit startling as a first day post. Also didn't know anything about you or background. Honestly, yogis have been promoting the benefits of yoga for so long that perhaps its flaws have been overlooked. I guess I would just prefer to know who is criticizing our practice in order to respond positively

Go to Top of Page

n/a

26 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2006 :  06:46:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit n/a's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Absolutely non-important is correct!

comdyne

quote:
Originally posted by Katrine

Hi All

For the past two years or so....whole words will be misplaced when I speak. I intend to say one word.....and then something completely different and out-of-the-connection will come out of my mouth. My daughters laugh....I laugh too. At work (at the clinic) - I would sit talking to my students....and all of a sudden the rest of the sentence would vanish.(No - I don't have amnesia or early alzheimers) They got used to it....and laughed too.

This did not happen consistantly.....but certain days...it would just be that way.

It's been a while since it happend now. And - it never happens when I am focused. When I am present, I am clear and consistant.

About 5 years ago, someone called Ed Bruder was in Oslo. He did a reading on me......it was amazing what came up.....he didn't understand half of it either. But one of the things he said....was that it was as if I was being "brainwashed". Today, I find this very consistent with the burning away of the personality; the conceptual, rigid part of my being.

So - I guess "faults" like this could come with the territory.

That said - it is absolutely non-important. It is just words, is it not?

Go to Top of Page

n/a

26 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2006 :  07:21:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit n/a's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello All -

Thank you to everyone for your discussions on this topic. I think I need to be absent from the group for a while to undergo some intense sadhana. I will plan on returning in roughly a week or two.

Much Love to ALL,

comdyne aegis
Go to Top of Page

Alvin Chan

Hong Kong
407 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2006 :  09:03:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I seriously doubt if the mispelling is due to yoga. But I also think there's something strange (and probably bad) happening to some yogis.

quote:
I have also noticed some VERY STRANGE behavior by very advanced yogis in India. It is all beautiful in it's own way.

I agree with your first point. But it's not beautiful. And usually not ugly. It's just strange.

For the mispelling, I've also noticed long ago that victor mispelled a lot. But I think he simply doesn't care much about the spellings. Is that right, victor?
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2006 :  10:44:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Seems pretty simple to me. People choose their activities based on style/flavor/peer groups. "Right brain" oriented people....creative, non-verbal, free-spirited...are attracted to yoga in the first place, cuz that's something their peer group is into. Analytical, rigorously rational "left brain" oriented people are less attracted, 'cuz it's not something their peer group is into. And the former are naturally sloppier spellers than the latter. (They're also rather muddled thinkers...which reinforces the non-practice of yoga by the other group, which is turned off by the flakey, touchy/feely way in which yoga is currently "sold").

Yoga will reach critical mass when the that mold breaks and yoga (I mean the whole practice, not just asana) is practiced not by the flaky few but by the mainstream. For one thing, that's when actual scientists will be compelled to really start looking at it - and they'll solve lots of scientific mysteries (e.g. why we shiver/laugh/cry).

Critical mass was almost reached once via TM. Not quite, though.

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Nov 05 2006 10:46:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2006 :  11:15:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi again,
Talking of different behaviour. I have noticed among others at higher levels of altered states of consciousness that when in conversation there are normally large gaps in conversation.When I practiced TM I expereinced this in myself.Before replying one thinks through in their minds the reply.So when one speaks there is a large gap as the altered state rehearses the reply before actually speaking.Sometimes one is not sure if the other person is even part of the conversation.I saw this when talking to my guru while in India.Sometimes I wasn't sure if she was ignoring me,asleep or what.heheheheheheheheheh
I'm sure others have come across this also.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2006 :  11:20:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello All

Words, though wonderful design, are very limiting. They are already imperfect. Someone who stills thought begins to communicate on a whole level. Words cannot always convey expressions that come from beneath thought. I think we have to adjust to new ways of expressing when words need to be used to convey deeper messages and sometimes words may fall by the wayside. It could be startling or confusing to others who are busy in thoughts and words. It may be easier for someone with an analytical mind to continue to use words, they may become sharper and clearer as the mind becomes a tool for Self. Maybe others who are not analytically designed find fewer words are there to give as expressions of Self. I don't know, I'm just pondering.

In interesting exploration, Alan
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2006 :  11:45:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
On the subject of "intelligence drop with yoga":

Title: The Idiot Song
  Transcribed By: Tak Ariga 

How sweet to be an Idiot,
As harmless as a cloud,
Too small to hide the sun
Almost poking fun,
At the warm but insecure untidy crowd.
How sweet to be an idiot,
And dip my brain in joy,
Children laughing at my back,
With no fear of attack,
As much retaliation as a toy.

How sweet to be an idiot, how sweet.

But I still love you, still love you, 
Oooh how sweet to be an idiot,
How sweet. how sweet. How sweet.

Edited by - david_obsidian on Nov 06 2006 11:25:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2006 :  3:56:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Alvin Chan

For the mispelling, I've also noticed long ago that victor mispelled a lot. But I think he simply doesn't care much about the spellings. Is that right, victor?

Well, to be honest I do misspell alot but it is generally due more to typos than to bad spelling. I learned to type many years after learning Yoga so perhaps I was handicapped from the start! I did poorly in high school and never went to academic college so never learned to touch type etc.
But seriously it would be interesting to explore this subject as it is possible that with an increase in "bliss conciousness" that a certain critical facility may be lost or just undervalued. Its all about balance I believe and while spelling errors are insignificant (thats why we have spellcheck) memory lapses are not, and I for one would not like to end up as a bliss ninny who is not taken seriously due to fuzzyheadedness
To be honest I have noticed a definite "spaciness" in some meditation groups and it does not tend to attract me to that. I have seen no such tendencies here however so it makes me wonder if that is more about a "cult" type situation rather than Yoga and meditation itself

Edited by - Victor on Nov 05 2006 4:49:29 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000