AYPsite.org Forum
 Yamas & Niyamas - Restraints & Observances
 Vegetarianism - Again
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  4:05:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
For years I was a vegetarian. One day a hamburger did me in.

Yogani’s lesson 30 basically says that we shouldn’t try to force any diet and that as we meditate longer, we will naturally gravitate toward a healthier, lighter diet. For a long time now, I’ve been wanting to return to the vegetarian lifestyle. I felt lighter, healthier, just better as a vegetarian.

I’ve got one problem. When I was about thirty, I suddenly became deathly allergic to peanuts, soy, beans, peas – all the staples of a vegetarian. Those are the foods that one relies on for protein.

There has to be a lot of people that have these allergies that are vegetarian. Does anyone know really how much protein one needs? What if you had an egg one day and a little cheese or yogurt the next…. Still have to manage the cholesterol & fat bit … Would that suffice?

And are there any other protein sources you can think of outside the realm of tofu, soy, peanuts, beans and peas? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Light and Love,
Kathy

Edited by - AYPforum on Feb 07 2007 09:55:39 AM

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  4:19:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Vegetarian Protien Sources-

Soy milk, Fat free milk and yogurt, egg whites (only the egg yellow has fat).

You always have protien powders!!

-Near
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  5:31:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Near. The soy milk would be deadly, and probably many of the powders contain soy but I could at least check! And the others I can manage. Maybe I could check other kinds of tree nuts too like almonds or cashews if they don't have too much fat in them.
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  6:19:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
>> Does anyone know really how much protein one needs? What if you had an egg one day and a little cheese or yogurt the next…. Still have to manage the cholesterol & fat bit … Would that suffice?

No, no-one really knows how much protein anyone needs. In answer to your question, well, from the way you have framed it, why so little? Why not more eggs and cheese than that if you are so inclined?

The other way to get protein is along with your starches. Potatoes, by the way, have a decent amount of protein. So, to a lesser extent, do pasta and bread. These aren't big protein sources in themselves, but as staples in a diet, their contribution is significant.

Edited by - david_obsidian on Mar 30 2006 6:22:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  6:48:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kathy,

One thing to keep in mind about proteins is that we usually need less than we think that we need. In general, in the West we get more protein than the body needs. In the East, where many live on staple foods, for example rice, they get most of the protein from that. So as David says, staple foods could be a main source of proteins. And, it is also known that proteins is the energy source (instead of carbohydrates and fat) that creates most of the waste products in the system. There is the issue of amino acids to consider too, if one would live on only for example wheat, or only peas, then each has a lack of certain amino acids, but by getting protein from different sources evens out what one may be lacking.

Here are a couple of good web sites:
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodco...r18list.html
http://www.whfoods.com/foodstoc.php
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  7:34:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Weaver and David. I didn't know rice and potatoes had protein. And thanks for the links. I'll check them out. I wanted to limit the cheese and eggs for cholesterol reasons, but Near's right-- I could just use the egg whites.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  7:49:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Corn, beans and rice make a complete protein. Are you allergic to all beans? There are so many. Also, sometimes allergies can be cured by completely cleaning out your system by eating only raw foods and water for a month or two (assuming you're not anorexic).

You shouldn't try to cut out fat entirely from your diet. You should eat a balance of protein, carbs, and fat (google the "zone" diet). What happens when you cut out fat is your hair can get brittle, and body parts don't get as well lubricated, and if carbs are low also your metabolism will learn to burn protein, and as weaver says, this creates toxins, stresses the kidneys, and you won't be able to keep muscle mass because you'll burn it.

So you need complex carbs preferably like whole grains and veggies, then protein, then some fat, omegas are good. You can get by on very little protein if you eat whole grains. You don't want to eat raw nuts, because they have "enzyme inhibitors" in them to keep them from rotting while they wait to sprout. Those inhibit digestion enzymes when you eat them. but sprouting gets rid of those, or roasting.
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  8:12:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Kathy, keep in mind too that eggs are no longer considered nearly as bad as they once were.

Fats of course are required nutrition. You'd eventually die without them. This is not true of carbs.

Carbs are turning into the new 'demons' and there may be a corporate marketing drive behind that. When fat is no longer a demon, the demonization of what food group can be exploited? I'm pretty sure the over-simplified low-carb concept will prove as wrong-headed as low-fat.

Ether, do you really think the presence of digestive inhibitors in raw nuts enough to rule them out in the diet? I'm not so sure. What do the squirrels think!

Plants of all kinds, including sprouts even moreso, contain toxins that attempt to fight back at being eaten. Generally they don't want to make it pleasant for those who eat them up. Those animals who eat them adapt to deal with these toxins. It's an arms race in evolutionary terms.

The main point is that something negative in a food source is not enough at all to rule out its consumption. If it were, we'd starve to death!

However, the point that roasted nuts and sprouted beans are easier to digest is surely a good one.

Edited by - david_obsidian on Mar 30 2006 8:16:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2006 :  12:59:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Ether and David. No, I know that some fat is essential, especially for the nervous system to operate properly.

I can't skip beans or legumes for a month and try them--I'm just too allergic-- stop breathing and all that... I carry two epipens always..

I really prefer the raw nuts to roasted and was thinking that nuts would have to be part of my protein...bummer...I think I'll try the raw cashews and almonds and see how it works and if not, then switch to roasted...

light and love,
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2006 :  3:40:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Weaver, I just looked at those sites. They are awesome. The top one lets you create a list of foods ranked by whatever nutrient you're looking for--in my case protein. The bottom one is a list of the 100 most nutritious foods around, categorized and it gives a great deal of info about each food. I'm printing a list for myself, but also for my daughter who is a vegetarian.

Light and love,
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2006 :  6:25:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Kathy,

Yes, these sites have a lot of information. I was thinking that the subject of Recommended Dietary Allowances could be of interest too, for example the official RDA for protein for women is 46 grams per day.

This site has several tables of different categories, the third one about Macronutrients has about protein in it:
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/etext/000105.html
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2006 :  7:03:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Eeek! Weaver, I just looked at that pdf and I think my eyes are glazing over -- amino acids and so forth!! But the 46 grams I can deal with --- thanks!
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2007 :  09:55:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  2:21:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
people worry too much about protein. if you eat a healthy veg diet of fruits, vegs, and grains, protein will be automatic. you actually undermine the healthy benefits of vegetarianism by eating too much protein. as for the milk/soy thing, there is always ricemilk, almondmilk, ect.
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  4:38:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Good post, Anthony. I agree that proteins aren't nearly as important to eat as healthy carbs and fats. Almond milk is especially good...I hope people would forget about soy.

I also hope anyone trying out a diet is listening to their bodies. If you have an urge for a pizza, maybe it's not such a bad idea to have that. You may be needing salt or some vitamin...or just the fat from the cheese. To make it healthier, make it from scratch using fresh ingredients!

Imposing a diet upon yourself, in my experience, only leads to trouble. It's good to get a variety of fresh foods which taste good and make you feel good, and it's good to have a few regulations (like don't eat two tubs of ice cream!) but saying "NO" to a certain food (unless it's soy milk) is generally unhealthy.
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2007 :  8:58:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
when one removes things such as meats, and especially all the saturated fats that go along with it, it is common to experience withdraw...also from the antibiotics and hormones and artificial ingredients. with time, you lost taste for those things. i have been vegetarian for one month now with the exception of some cheeses. i still ate icecream like a fiend...until one day I found it absolutely repulsive for no apparent reason! It tasted like creamed fat and left a greasy coating in my mouth and I never touched milk or icecream again! there's always soy...so who needs it!

anyway, a good way to start a new vegetarian diet is to learn as much as you can, and also to do a fast. a fast eliminates many of the stored up flesh and festering material from your body and your body tends to thank you by lowering your appetite for heavy foods. if you want a great site for fasting, go to www.quickfast.com
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2007 :  8:58:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
www.quickfasting.com rather
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000