Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Gnarly headache during DM. Suggestions plz?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

little_rad

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  03:02:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

I meditate morn and eve for just under 10 mins (self-pacing dontcha know). However, I get a totally gnarly headache. It is sumtimes present outside of practice, like a dull version, but instantly becomes a lot stronger as soon as start meditating.

I've tried:

Grounding - loads of running, biking, gardening, dancing, playing music, cleaning the bog, etc . . .

Solar centering - I find it hard to locate it there, like it's still essentially emanating from my head even if I 'pretend' its at my solar plexus.

Breath meditation - headache not as much as with mantra, but still there. Also, it is not as effective as mantra (so I've read)?

Drinking lots of water - I always make an effort to keep well hydrated (feel gross otherwise)

Eating well - Whole foods and nutritious natural nosh.

Not overly concentrating on mantra - like it's not even there . .

Ceasing practices - But how long for?! (Strong current of bhakti here). I stopped for 2 days, and really felt a bit fuzzy in the head as if a nice bit of meditation would clear it. But no I just got a gnarly headache.

Any of you wise helpful peeps, got any suggestions?

NB: I went through a few weeks of 3 mins Pranayama SB, but it made the 'energy' in my head 'fizz' uncomfortably.

Edited by - little_rad on Jun 10 2011 05:45:28 AM

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  08:04:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Watch where your attention is during meditation. If you feel you are in your head, gently bring your attention down, into your heart or navel and continue your practice from there. Don't try to hold your attention there, but any time you realize you are back in your head, bring your attention down.

Or look at the lesson for Solar Centering .

Before meditation, do a few light stretches, not full asana routine, just a few stretches, esp. the neck area.

Back off spinal breathing for a bit and add alternate nostril breathing for a few min before meditation.

Also, make sure the temperature of area you sit for meditation is cool. If possible, keep a table fan next to you, not blowing directly at you, but circulating the air around you and keeping the area cool, unless ofcourse it causes distraction... then skip the fan.

Hope this helps.

PS:
quote:
Originally posted by little_rad

Solar centering - I find it hard to locate it there, like it's still essentially emanating from my head even if I 'pretend' its at my solar plexus.

In that case, like I said above, just bring your attention down as far as it will go. You will see your attention follows the physical eye slightly... so with eyes closed make a slight intention of looking down at the heart... then it is possible to think from there.
Even during the day, when you feel your head hurting, bring your attention down as far as you can go and think from there, even if it only for a few min.

PPS: Take a look at this topic and see if it helps: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=3300
Go to Top of Page

little_rad

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  08:33:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Fantastic, thanx Shanti.

Will try stretching - good idea. And will check out alt nostril breathing. It's quite cold in the room where I meditate ( I live in the UK )

Looking forward to trying out this eve.

When you say move attention down as far as you can, does it mean like, as far as your legs or feet? Or thru the ground? Or wud it have to stay at navel?

Thanx again for yo reply x
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  09:00:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by little_rad

When you say move attention down as far as you can, does it mean like, as far as your legs or feet? Or thru the ground? Or wud it have to stay at navel?

I think it will be fine moving down to your feet (which BTW is not easy for many). But stay in the body... don't move to the ground.
Go to Top of Page

little_rad

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  09:04:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Cool, thanxx
Go to Top of Page

nodoubt

India
90 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  10:57:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I would suggest going for along vigorous walk and adding some hatha yoga asanas before your routine. Basically this is a circulation thing.
Go to Top of Page

little_rad

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2011 :  2:44:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanx nodoubt.

It is going well. Headache much less now. Happy meditating to all!

Om shanti!
Go to Top of Page

JosephUK

United Kingdom
212 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  3:00:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
IN addition to this (I kno it's not ayp) but in any situation you experience pain you can practice mindfulness and just watch, investigate the pain. it takes away the suffering (if you do it right) i find it is an excellent practice and can be done throughout the day which enhances your routine (lets get enlightened baby :D).

joe
Go to Top of Page

vijikr

United Arab Emirates
413 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  3:22:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
yeah being mindfulness also helps and as shanti said taking the attention to heart,navel or to the feet also helps.

May All Expereince the ETERNAl BLISS

Love n Light
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000