Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 sitting position
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lmaher22

USA
217 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  2:47:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have been involved with a buddhist center for a couple of years and they are wonderful people. Light-hearted, forgiving, understanding in the Chen tradition. They're attitude is pretty close to 'whatever works' but they do insist that one must be in the lotus position for meditation for a number of reasons. I believe them because, well, what do I know? But in here Y says sitting postion is not that important so long as your comfortable enough to practice. Maybe that's correct also? I really don't care that much because I honor and respect both Chen and Yogani's deep knowledge. I guess I'm just spouting off.
Namaste.
Larry

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  7:43:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Welcome to the forum Larry.

The thing is, in AYP, we cut through the chase and go straight for the inner silence... once we have that, our sitting position will change to whatever may be the right way to sit for that body/mind.

See, if you went through the eight limbs of Patanjali, it would say, Yamas and Niyamas have to be mastered before meditation. But here, in AYP, we go straight for meditation, and then let the Yamas and Niyamas be revealed to us from the stillness. Some traditions will say you need to become a vegetarian before you can meditate, we say, meditate and then if there is a draw from within to become vegetarian, become one. Some would say become a celibate and/or a renunciate ... we say, mediate, then if that is what you are drawn to from within do so... all the "rules" are made by people who have found stillness and seen what has helped them the most... but we have to find out own way.

The inner silence in each of of us is the same... but out outer shell is different... we are all born with a different body/mind... so what works for one on the outer level may not work for another. Hence in AYP we suggest go straight to the stillness, don't waste time on finding the right outer level crutch, find the stillness... once you have found this... what you need on the outer level will be revealed to you so your inside and outside can be in sync.

Hope this helps.

PS: BTW not dissing any tradition. The old traditions have been there for ages ... it works and that is why they have stood the test of time. However, in those days, most people did not get exposure to all the traditions at once. They picked a tradition that was available to them and stayed with it. These days thanks to the internet, we have access to so many different traditions... like a kid in a candy store... and if we get pulled around by all the distractions available, it will just slow us down. If we analyze what is best and what is not the best... we will just be wasting our precious life time satisfying our minds.

That is why in AYP, we first find inner silence, and then if we feel drawn to peruse something then that is perfect.
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  9:29:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Namaste Larry

About how to sit in meditation, I like what Yogani has to say in his Deep Meditation book:

"The first priority is comfort. It is not desirable to sit in a position that distracts us from the easy procedure of meditation. So sitting in a comfortable chair with back support is a good way to meditate. Later on, or if we are familiar, there can be an advantage to sitting with legs crossed, also with back support. But always with comfort and least distraction being the priority."

Energetically, my body is drawn to sitting with legs crossed, but I sometimes find that it strains my knees, and thus for me physical health becomes a consideration.

Thanks for sharing.

Be

Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  9:53:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I know someone who does long buddhist sitting. She uses a "zafu" cushion (look on ebay). It is small and firm, filled with buckwheat. You sit on it with your knees hanging off so they are lower than your butt. This makes it easy to sit for long periods because it puts the proper curve in your lower back.
But I just prefer the couch.
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  12:09:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I sit daily in lotus position, have been for years. When I started AYP I switched to Siddhasana and did that for about a year. For my body Lotus felt more balanced so I went back to it. The easiest position for me seems to be on a chair or bench without crossed legs but something about Padmasana flat on a mat on the floor makes me feel like I am doing formal practice. In my opinion if you have been sitting in Lotus and it's easy and comfortable then keep doing it, if it is a struggle then it is not necessary at all and find what works for you.

Edited by - Victor on May 26 2011 12:11:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  09:59:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Namaste Ether, Larry, and all !

I think self-pacing shall be #1 , with all postures.

#2 go for whatever posture & prop that makes it easy to keep the spine relaxed but vertical, with a slight curvature in the lower spine, and to keep the breath free - given your particular body right now. That's common to yoga and buddhist meditations.

#10 or #20 approx., is IMO. the agenda of Siddhasana (heel/s useful in Tantra), versus Padmasana, versus armchairs and cushions.

Quite many yoga classes reverse the priorities, running into knee and spine issues as people push themselves early & hard into lotus, or half lotus, without cushions. Last but not least, the strain on the breathing muscles weakens the breath as a body-soul link; makes you sort of wonder why sit at all.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000