Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Spontaneous Happenings
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mandala

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  02:19:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi All,

I would like to share with the forum my own experiences of the last few years.

My yogic/spiritual journey really began in 2006 when i started to read spiritual literature that someone had given me. I hadn't been drawn to it before. I was fascinated by the worldview presented and it seemed to reel me in to a new worldview myself.

A few months later, when in the himalayas, I picked up a book on yoga and practised mula bandha without really knowning what it was and totally without expectation. I awoke that night to the sound of a bird where there was no distinction between the sound and me i 'was' the sound, rather than I was hearing the sound.

Nothing of great note happened for a few more years, but while I was on a train my mind spontaneously turned inwards, my breath and heart beat stopped, i experienced absolutele bliss but was not divided from that, there was no I per se. I'm not sure how long it lasted but there was a deep knowing. I went home and instantly looked up what had happened. It is known as Samadhi.

Since that time, I became more interested in spiritual things.

I daily experience peace, silence, stillness etc and sometimes oneness and energetic happenings.

Every single spiritual happening has occured at night, with few execeptions.

I have also gone spontaneously into a deep one-pointed blissful meditation after looking into someone's eyes and feeling that they had seen the same that i had seen on that night on the train. No words were exchanged about that.

So now I find that people are practising all kinds of techniques for these things and yet to me they happen spontaneously.

I don't know why they are happening but I feel much more at home with spiritual people, yogic people etc because I find it very hard to relate on the mundane level.

I am at a point where I don't know whether to take up a Sadhana such as ones mentioned on this website or just continue my spontaneous path.

My innermost feeling after all that has happened is that I want to help other people and spread peace in the world. I felt so strongly about it that I walked around a couple of Buddhist stupas and made a vow to devote myself to others.

I just felt i'd like to share this with the forum as I don't really have anyone to talk to about these things and the people that i did speak to were very confused coming from non-spiritual backgrounds.

WoodDragon

USA
56 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  08:06:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit WoodDragon's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This is very interesting and you should consider yourself Blessed. Spontaneous occurrences of spiritual phenomena are rare. To my mind you are spiritually tuned, perhaps your experience in India was like a tempering of your spiritual metal. Now you ring like a bell when something brushes along your spiritual makeup, perhaps your Chakras are responding to the world around you and you are now aware of this.

When a new or blossoming spiritual response resonates within a person it may be a good idea to attempt to learn from it and develop this response to be more in touch with your conscious mind. For this practices are needed, not for your Spirit, but for your mind. Your spirit is fine, it has become tuned and responsive, now the work of getting your mind and body up to the level of your spiritual development begins.

For this I do recommend a daily practice of meditations and body awareness exercises such as the ones found in Yoga. Then your entire self may act as One, with beautiful Unity. Rather than having random moments of response, you may develop a lifelong path of Harmony within yourself and the world outside.

This is very exciting, for most people we develop a relationship between body and mind, with spirit emerging from the mix through deeper awareness and Inner Silence. You have cut to the chase, so to speak and now need to develop in the opposite direction to achieve Harmony. This may make it much easier for you one many levels, the only concern would be one of self pacing. Your spirit is ready, but you will not want to over do it for your body and mind. We are all One and we are in Truth a single One which we separate into the categories of mind, body and spirit, but the Truth is we are One and it is only our perceptions of ourselves which cloud this Truth.

For my part I say be bold! Try out the Yoga practices for a while and see what happens, it may indeed open a whole new world for you!
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  10:45:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Mandala and welcome to the AYP forums

IMHO it would do you help to read this lesson:
Lesson 202 - Q&A – Free form versus structured practices
http://www.aypsite.org/202.html

Love,
Ananda
Go to Top of Page

Akasha

421 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  10:55:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Mandala & Welcome,

Sounds to me like a phenomenon termed here as "automatic yoga" which is good as long as you are careful to self-pace.To me it is likely an indication that your system is ripe and ready for opening. This may the result of previous work in the Himalayas or elswhere , or self-enquiry etc..Self-pacing is a keystone principle of the AYP approach essential for a smooth journey. You will be totally fine as you have wealth of knowledge available here and much helpful guidance from many helpful souls here.Nothing to worry about.

You say "i am wondering if i should do spontaneous or intentional sadhana as such"..I wish i was in your shoes when i started somewhat naively. I would steer you towards a structured approach like the one found here at AYP.But go through the lessons in numerical order starting with Deep Meditation.There is reason and rationale for the order and sequence of practices laid out here in the lessons and adopted.

quote:
I am at a point where I don't know whether to take up a Sadhana such as ones mentioned on this website or just continue my spontaneous path.

I would suggest you steer yourself towards the former based on my own experience.You really can't go wrong if you are ripe as long as you self-pace.I think in your case you might be a litlle sensitive so just take it easy and you'll be fine.

quote:
A few months later, when in the himalayas, I picked up a book on yoga and practised mula bandha without really knowning what it was and totally without expectation. I awoke that night to the sound of a bird where there was no distinction between the sound and me i 'was' the sound, rather than I was hearing the sound.

When i use the phrase "automatic yoga" sometimes mudras or bandhas as they are called manifest automatically.This is the nervous system opening up without any prompting involved like on auto-pilot.Again, you don't hear this mentioned as much in other of the generalised literature on yogic neurobiological transformation as much as here perhaps.

Sounds like you've already opened a bit already as you are naturally drawn to "Spiritual " things without any formal habits in place.Feel free to elaborate on any formal methods or techniqes you my have been using. There are so many and countless.The approach laid out here is as good as any. Practices here may be augmented but that is left to the research of any individual practitioner especially after they've test-driven AYP.You start off with "DM";see little blue book--> right-handside and/ or read online lessons<--left-handside/Top of page(Main Lessons).

Try it out if you are so inclined while self-pacing and see how you get on.

Enjoy!!!

Edited by - Akasha on Apr 14 2011 11:10:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

harsharan000

Spain
59 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2011 :  6:46:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Mandala, your experiences are a proof that life and reincarnation exists. It is not normal neither in one´s hand to have what you have experienced, your spiritual treading is done farther from your previous lives, compared to others, like most of us, that we are at the start line. I also do meditation, and I wished, I had even 1% of your experience, because I am sure of the path I am treading, due to His grace, the only thing is I feel I have a heavy burden of karmas to still clear. I am quite satisfied and convinced of the path I am walking on, which is basically same as in sikhism, but of course much refined and witout any symblos, just soul(individual) and Him (supersoul). I can only suggest you, because it is ultimately entirely upon your freewill, to read and find the spiritual wealth, as per the signs and directions in the chapter of Anand Sahib from the Garnth Sahib. It is amazing, how the soul dances in ecstasy, once it tastes the Nectar of Truth, inside each and everyone of us, which the Almighty has kept for us. May the Lord bless you!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000