Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Chin Pump
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Still

Ireland
19 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2011 :  08:26:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

I just started the chin pump a couple of days ago and have been feeling really dizzy and out of it, especially today. I'd like to keep practising it but am wondering if the dizziness will subside or what I can do to help it, as it is making life a bit difficult...
I recently started up my yoga practises again after a break of a few years during which I've been busy having children and now have a 1yr old & a 2 yr old. This also makes doing practise twice a day impossible at the moment because they wake so early and I only have time after they go to bed at 8pm. Do you think once a day is ok?
I practised Kriya yoga (not SRF) for a few years before children and achieved kechari 2 by stretching and had kundalini experience. I am now following AYP - some asanas, SBP, Chin Pump, DM, & Yoni Mudra.

Any thoughts would be welcome,

Love & Light,

Still

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2011 :  08:42:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Still,

Are you doing the full chin pump, or the lite version?

If you are doing the full version, try the lite version and see how it feels. If you are doing the lite version already, reduce the number of times you do it. Instead of going by time, go by number of rounds... start with 4 (as suggested in the lesson), if that feels too much, start with 1 or 2 and build on it.

quote:

http://www.aypsite.org/139.html
In the beginning, there can be some side effects from the chin pump. They shouldn't last long. Some dizziness can happen. Maybe a slight headache. Maybe energy currents not experienced before in the upper body and head. It is a powerful practice, and we are making a bid to break through to a higher level of functioning in our nervous system, so there can be a few bumps in the road. For this reason, you may wish to begin your chin pump practice for the first time on a weekend when obligations will be less. Be methodical and don't overdo. If any symptoms become uncomfortable, back off practice immediately, and give yourself time to recover. Then you can come back later and try again, slowly. Honor your limits and use self-pacing. Self-pacing is very important with the chin pump. We are moving a lot of energy with this practice, up through channels where the energy has not been in such quantities before. And we are dealing with delicate components of our anatomy, our neck and head. If we want enlightenment, we have to nudge open the doors so the spiritual energies stirring inside us can find their natural neuro-biological functioning. The chin pump is a powerful way to open the doors between the heart and the head.

Go to Top of Page

Still

Ireland
19 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2011 :  09:12:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Shanti,

I have been doing the full chin pump so will try the lite for a while and see how that goes. Do you think practising once a day instead of two could have a negative effect? Also, I have been very drawn to doing a samyama of my own prayer which when I do it causes me to shudder. Do you think this could cause overload? I had a previous experience of powerful kundalini and would rather something more gradual. However, it is trying to find the balance between bhakti and self-pacing...

Love & Light,

Still

Edited by - Still on Feb 11 2011 09:28:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2011 :  09:34:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Still

Do you think practising once a day instead of two could have a negative effect?

Hi Still,
Having little ones and keeping up with 2 sessions is really hard. I know. I lived through that. For the first year of AYP, I did only one session too. Sometime after that, somehow I managed to fit in the second session. So I would say... ideally 2 session is best... even if you can sit for 5 min to just honor the practice it will be great... but if not, if you can be regular with 1 session everyday... it is fine. As you open, life will work out a way for you to be able to fit in a second session.

quote:

Also, I have been very drawn to doing a samyama of my own prayer which when I do it causes me to shudder. Do you think this could cause overload?

If you don't mind, I would suggest doing Yogani's 9 sutras when you start with sayama. The reason being, it is designed to give an all round clearing and opening. Once we open a bit and get comfortable with samyama, we can do samyama on anything we like, which includes prayers. Prayers are really powerful when done samyama style... and it may cause overloads if your nervous system is not purified enough. So, I think you have answered your own question, better to not do this... esp. since you have 2 little ones who will need your attention and you definitely cannot afford to be overloaded.

quote:

However, it is trying to find the balance between bhakti and self-pacing...

Yes.. that is hard... but just remember, in yoga, less is more... so any time bhakti takes over, give it to your ishta and ask him to manage it... while your nervous system catches up (self pace).
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2011 :  06:46:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What is the speed that you do the chin pump? I suggest doing it slowly letting the release of the breath guide the speed. IT can take awhile to get a "feel" for it on a deeper level but when you do the dizziness should hopefully subside. I suggest doing it slowly with sensitivity and see if hat helps
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000