Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 American Veda - History of Yoga in the West
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  3:21:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi All:

This is a new book just out. The full title and Amazon link are:

American Veda -
From Emerson and the Beatles to Yoga and Meditation -
How Indian Spirituality Changed the West

By Philip Goldberg

This is the best history on Yoga coming to the West I have seen so far. It is an extensive and scholarly work, and also very easy to read. No stones were left unturned. If you were intrigued by the brief history of Yoga coming to the West in Lesson 253 and want the full course, this is the book to get. (Btw, the AYP Booklist linked in Lesson 253 has recently been expanded from 400 to nearly 500 books.)

It should be mentioned that "American Veda" came here in an unusual way. The author, Phil Goldberg, contacted me over a year ago and we did a phone interview. So AYP is mentioned in the book, and Yogani as "perhaps the most ungurulike of the nongurus" (p221). That sounds about right, and speaks volumes about what we are doing here in AYP.

The guru is in you.

PS: Phil Goldberg is currently making the rounds promoting this new book. His schedule and additional information can be found here: http://www.americanveda.com

tadeas

Czech Republic
314 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2010 :  7:22:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Finally something about AYP in print... Now you or AYP can get that wikipedia page :)
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2010 :  10:02:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by tadeas

Finally something about AYP in print... Now you or AYP can get that wikipedia page :)

Hi Tadeas:

I hope someone does it someday, preferably about AYP and the great work all of you are doing with it, rather than that anonymous guy.

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2010 :  10:14:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  3:16:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All:

Have received the below "American Veda" book East Coast USA tour schedule from author Phil Goldberg, and am posting it here FYI.

AYP receives an honorable mention in this book.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

---------------------------

Greetings,

In the coming weeks I will be giving presentations based on American Veda in Boston, Maine, New York and New Jersey. Please pass the information along to anyone in those areas who might be interested. The schedule as of now:

- Fri., March 25, 5:00, Emerson Hall, Harvard University, lecture for “Dharma,” the Hindu Students’ Association.

- Sat. March 26, 2-5 pm, workshop at the Arlington Center, 369 Massachusetts Ave, Arlington, MA 02474, http://www.arlingtoncenter.org/events.html

- Sun. March 27, 7pm, lecture/signing at Down Under Yoga, 306 Walnut St., Newtonville MA, 02460, http://www.downunderyoga.com .

- Wed. March 30, 6:30 – 9:30 p.m., workshop “The Future of East-West Spirituality” at Sadhana Meditation Center, Portland Maine, http://www.sadhaname.com .

- Sat. April 2, 2:30-4:30, workshop “The Great Transmission” at Integral Yoga Institute, New York, http://www.iyiny.org .

- Wed. April 6, 6:30, lecture/signing at the Livingston New Jersey Public Library, http://livingston.bccls.org/ .

- Fri. April 8, 7:00, lecture/signing at One Spirit Learning Alliance, 247 West 36th Street, 6th Floor, NY, NY 10018. http://www.onespiritinterfaith.org/

- Sat. April 9, 4:00, lecture/signing Hindu Temple Society of North America, 45-57 Bowne St., Flushing NY 11355, http://www.nyganeshtemple.org/home.aspx

- Sun. April 10, 2:00, lecture/signing at the Sri Aurobindo Center, 631 Vale Drive, Morganville, NJ 07751, http://www.sayfna.org

I hope to see my east coast friends during my travels.

Meanwhile, for your reading pleasure, I attach a recent review in Yoga Journal.

Also, here is a YouTube video of me being interviewed by Varun Soni, Dean of Religious Life at the University of Southern California: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr_4mcvcAFc .

Peace to all,

Phil
Go to Top of Page

Guy_51

USA
170 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2011 :  2:45:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Guy_51's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"Honorable Mention" Ha... Mr.Goldberg, though nice to have mentioned AYP is obviously more an intellectual than a practitioner.
But like they say in the marketing world... " all ink is good ink"
Go to Top of Page

philji42

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2011 :  2:58:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit philji42's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, I'm much more of a practitioner than an intellectual.
"Honorable mention" is not the term I used, but Yogani's wry way of saying that AYP is described briefly in my book.
Thank you, Yogani, for mentioning my tour schedule.
Phil
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2011 :  3:26:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Phil and welcome to the AYP Forums!

Just wanted to thank you for mentioning AYP in your book... nice to finally have a third party write about AYP.

Katrine http://www.aypsite.org/forum/pop_pr...splay&id=377 and myself are leading an AYP retreat at Kripalu in Massachusets next week, ending on Friday the 25th in the early afternoon. I don't know Mass. geography (at all) but if there is a possibility that I can make the Friday lecture or the Saturday workshop before I have to fly out, I most certainly will be there. Good luck with the tour!

Love!
Go to Top of Page

Guy_51

USA
170 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2011 :  3:42:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Guy_51's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Phil,

Please accept my sincere apology for misrepresenting you.
Truth be told, I am very grateful to you for mentioning AYP in your book on any level.

Guy
Go to Top of Page

Parallax

USA
348 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2011 :  5:16:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Parallax's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Phil!!

I too am grateful for the mention of AYP in the book, as AYP has been changing many lives across the globe. I bought the book shortly after it came out and have found it to be not only meticulously researched, but a very entertaining read as well. Nicely done. And I very much like that the focus is on the spread of Veda in the West, as so much focus in the "yoga" community is currently on asanas.

I live outside of Boston and will be at the Kripalu retreat with Katrine and Carson, but will try to make one of the events over the weekend. If I can't do the Arlington Center on Saturday I am going to try for the session at Down Under Yoga on Sunday. I'll make sure to introduce myself after the program.

Thanks again, your book is excellent.

Peace
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2011 :  5:35:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by philji42

Actually, I'm much more of a practitioner than an intellectual.
"Honorable mention" is not the term I used, but Yogani's wry way of saying that AYP is described briefly in my book.
Thank you, Yogani, for mentioning my tour schedule.
Phil

Hi Phil,

Welcome to the AYP Forum.

I enjoy your regular spiritually-related articles on Huffington Post, including your recent You Know You Should Meditate So Why Don't You?

I also just downloaded American Veda on my Kindle; looking forward to reading it.

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2014 :  3:13:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All:

Occasional news updates come here from Phil Goldberg, author of "American Veda." (He is philji42 in the forum)

Phil has been been doing book tours all over the world for several years. An email received today covers his recent book tour in India, and offers some valuable perspective on American (western) and Indian (eastern) attitudes about the application of the ancient wisdom.

See a copy of Phil's email below, and happy new year!

The guru is in you.

quote:
Dear Friends,

May your coming year be prosperous, healthy, and fulfilling in every way. 

Some of you have asked for my impressions of my recent speaking tour of India, to mark the Indian publication of "American Veda."  Here is a short version. 

One month, 28 lectures, and 18 cities may sound exhausting (and at times it was), but it was mostly exhilarating, illuminating, and extremely gratifying.  The Sanskrit saying, Atithi devo bhavah, means “The guest is God.” That is how I was made to feel.  Without exception, everyone involved with organizing my tour, arranging my accommodations, feeding me, and getting me from place to place was gracious, friendly, and kind.  And, because of the special nature of my visit, I got to meet people, see things, and have conversations that most travelers do not.  Every day was a gift.

Audiences at my talks were attentive and eager to hear what I had to say.  Because of cultural differences, I had to modify some of my usual language, dispense with certain jokes, and explain things that need no explaining in the U.S. (like who the Beatles were, believe it or not).  People were thrilled to learn that India’s ancient wisdom has seeped into U.S. soil and transformed the lives of millions of Americans.  On behalf of all of us, I expressed my gratitude. 

Early on, I was told that young people in India look to America as a role model, as they focus on building careers and advancing the material progress of their families and their country.  Many think their own spiritual heritage is irrelevant and obsolete, even an obstacle to development.  I was asked to address that subject when I spoke at universities.  I was reluctant, but the issue kept coming up, and I found myself saying two things: 1) Be discerning about what you take from America; you don’t want our junk food and runaway materialism, for instance.  2) America is a giant laboratory; we try things out, and if they prove useful we adopt them and the rest of the world takes notice.  And guess what! We tested yoga, meditation, and other elements of India’s spiritual legacy, and found them to be indispensible for modern life.  That, I suggested, might be worth emulating. 

The irony of a Western author telling Indians how valuable their own tradition is was not lost on anyone.  I can only hope that the country’s march to modernization and prosperity does not overshadow the timeless revelations of their rishis. 

May India and America continue to enrich one another, and may the hidden treasures in all our hearts awaken fully in the coming year.  

With gratitude,

Phil

http://www.americanveda.com

Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2014 :  1:08:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Yogani. Very inspiring.
Go to Top of Page

Omsat

Belgium
267 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2014 :  07:06:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely

Happy New Year
Go to Top of Page

Bill R.

Canada
12 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2014 :  2:01:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Interesting comments from Philip. American Veda is a wonderful book, incredibly entertaining and easy to read, but also comprehensive and informative. It's great that a westerner is getting an opportunity to express gratitude to Indians and tell them how valuable their spiritual heritage is to the rest of the world. India's economic rise may be one of the great stories of the 21st century. If that rise is rooted in spirit the world will be a better place. At any rate, Philip's book illustrates how the West has already been profoundly influenced by Indian spirituality.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000