Member Announcements - Events, Classes & Retreats
 Register Now-AYP retreat: Northeast USA, Oct 22-24
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  08:37:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi All,

We will be organizing our first Official International AYP weekend retreat over the weekend of Oct 22nd to Oct 24th in Pennsylvania USA.

Katrine will be traveling from Norway and Carson from Canada to be with us at this retreat.

Please join us for the retreat during the weekend of Oct 22nd to 24th at Mensch Mill Conference & Retreat Center, located in the beautiful mountains of Berks County, Pennsylvania..
http://www.menschmill.org/confer.asp
86 Camp Mensch Mill Road
Alburtis, PA 18011

Below are the details of the retreat.

Please contact me to register for the retreat or with any questions and/or concerns you may have. Seats are limited.

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  4:22:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The event will occur at Mensch Mill Conference & Retreat Center, in the beautiful mountains of Berks County, Pennsylvania.

http://www.menschmill.org/confer.asp
86 Camp Mensch Mill Road
Alburtis, PA 18011
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  4:23:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Date and Time:
The retreat will start on Friday October 22nd 2010 around 10.00-11.00 am (will finalize time and put details out here) and will end after global group meditation on Sunday, followed by lunch and good-byes.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  4:24:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Rates:
There are two sets of rooms available. There are 12 slots available at $190 and 12 slots available at $170. When you register, let me know which room you prefer. The cost includes two night and 7 meals... Please let me know if there are any diet restrictions.

Reason for price difference:

There are two separate houses that I have booked.

One is the The Mensch House which has 4 bedrooms. These rooms have an occupancy of 3. So the cost of the room had to be divided between 3 people. The second one is the Grist Mill. The room rate is slightly higher for this, but the occupancy is more. So the cost of the room is divided between 4 people. This is why the cost is less for that house.

The first house has attached baths, hence I would like to fill that house first. The Grist Mill has common bathrooms and showers(separate for men and women).
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  4:25:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Room Occupancy:
1 room that has occupancy of 2,
2 rooms that has occupancy of 3 people.
4 rooms that has occupancy of 4 people.
So we have a limit of 24 people.

There are 8 top bunks available which I am not counting for now, if more people are interested, and they are ready to occupy the top bunk, we can increase the capacity to 31 people.

Rooms still available:
Slots still available:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=8292#72200

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  4:26:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Outside Accommodation:
Anyone not willing to share rooms will have the option of staying in a hotel. The cost for the retreat for people who don't stay at the retreat center will be $130.

There are two that are close to the retreat area:
http://www.prospecthillfarm.com/
http://www.landhavenbandb.com/home2.html

This one is a 10 min drive:
http://bcmountainresort.com/

There are a lot of the chain hotels 10 miles from the location too. Do a Google search on the place and find the hotels nearby. http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=&q=M...356&ie=UTF-8
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  4:27:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Payment, Cancellation and Refund:

Payment has to be done in full upfront when you do the booking, and there will be no refunds after June 15th (The User Group (which would be us) is responsible for all contracted facility charges not canceled 90 days prior to arrival.).
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  4:28:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Getting to the Retreat Center:
There are several ways to get to the retreat center.

You can fly into Philadelphia PA or Lehigh Valley PA or Newark New Jersey OR JFK New York.

From Philly: You will need a car rental. It is an 1 hr 20 min drive to the retreat center.

From Lehigh Valley Airport: It is about a 40 min drive to the retreat center. Let me know when you are going to be coming in, I can try and arrange for a ride for you if you don't want to rent a car.

From Newark NJ: You can either rent a car, the drive is about 2 hrs to the retreat center. Or you can take a bus to Bethlehem PA (there is one almost every 2 hours: Check the bus schedule: http://www.transbridgelines.com/sched_ny_west.htm Your starting point will be NEWARK AIRPORT NJ (T) All terminals and you will get off at BETHLEHEM, PA (F)TRANS-BRIDGE TERMINAL 2012 Industrial Drive (LVIP)) and let me know when you are coming in, and I will try and arrange for a ride for you if you don't want to rent a car.

From JFK NY : You can either rent a car, the drive is about 2 and half hours. You can also get a bus. There are only 2 buses than come directly from JFK to Bethlehem PA (Check the bus schedule: Transbridge bus services: http://www.transbridgelines.com/sched_ny_west.htm Your starting point will be NEW YORK Kennedy Airport(P) and you will get off at BETHLEHEM, PA (F)TRANS-BRIDGE TERMINAL 2012 Industrial Drive (LVIP)).

However, there is a bus almost every hour from Port Authority NY into Bethlehem PA(Check the bus schedule: Transbrigde Bus service: http://www.transbridgelines.com/sched_ny_west.htm Your starting point will be NEW YORK NY PABT (F) Gates 4, 6, 8, 10 and you will get off at BETHLEHEM, PA (F)TRANS-BRIDGE TERMINAL 2012 Industrial Drive (LVIP)

Beiber Bus Service : http://www.biebertourways.com/sched...C.100109.pdf . Your starting point will be NYC Gates 19, 21(PABT), you will get off at Wescosville).

Driving (all approx):

Baltimore Maryland : 2 hr drive
Washington DC : 3 and 1/2 hr drive
Delaware : 3 hrs
Philadelphia : 1 and 1/2 hr
New Jersey :1 1/2 hr
New York: 2 1/2 hr
Boston : 5 - 6 hrs

Here are the bus schedules.

From New York and New Jersey : Transbrigde Bus service: http://www.transbridgelines.com/sched_ny_west.htm

From New York: Beiber Bus Service : http://www.biebertourways.com/sched...C.100109.pdf

From Philadelphia PA: Beiber Bus services : http://www.biebertourways.com/sched...a.100109.pdf
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  4:28:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Accommodation before and after the retreat days:
Depending on how many people do stay Thursday and Sunday night,
If anyone is arriving a day early or staying back Sunday night, I will contact Best Western and see if I can get a group rate for Thursday night and Sunday night. If you do plan on staying Thursday night or Sunday night, do let me know. I can even co-ordinate sharing rooms and splitting the cost of rooms for the night if needed.
I have also talked to the person in charge of Mensch Mill, and he has said he can give us the rooms for thursday night. The rate is $100 for the night, if there is more than one person staying the extra nights, the rate can be split between them.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  4:29:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If you would like to participate in this retreat please contact me
Shanti, or post a reply to this topic here.

Thank You.

In your request please specify:
1)Name
2)Male or Female (I need this for room assignments)
3)Any dietary requirements... also do let me know if you are vegetarian or non vegetarian.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  4:47:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Retreat Schedule:
Friday:· 9:30 am Walk through for those who are there.
· 10.30am Introductions, instructions, general/technical question-answer, etc.- Shanti
· 10.50am 1st practice session. - lead - Katrine.
· 11.50am "Walk" and "Talk"
· 12.00pm Lunch
· 12.50pm "Walk" and "Talk" (second walk-through, if required).
· 1.15 pm Gathering (introduction to Insight Dialog) - lead - Katrine.
· 2.00 pm Group Discussion – lead - Kirtanman.
· 4.00 pm Break
· 4.30 pm Second practice session - guided Asanas (optional), practices - lead -Carson
· 5.50 pm "Walk" and "Talk"
· 6.00 pm Dinner
· 7.00 pm Group Discussion - lead - Katrine
· 8.00 pm: Session of Katrine's music interwoven with poetry followed by presentation of "Inspiration" by participants, followed by short kirtan session, lead by Kirtanman. Followed by 10 min of rest.
· 9.30 pm head back to our rooms

Saturday:· 7.45 am Light breakfast
· 8.30 am 1st practice session - lead - Parallax.
· 9.30 am 2nd practice session - lead - Carson.
· 10.30 am Break
· 10.45 am Question-Answer session - lead - Katrine, Kirtanman, Carson, Shanti.
· 11.50 am "Walk" and "Talk"
· 12.00 pm Lunch
· 12.50 pm "Walk" and "Talk
· 2.00 pm Group Discussion – lead - Katrine
· 4.00 pm Break
· 4.30 pm 3rd practice session - lead - Shanti.
· 5.45 pm "Walk" and "Talk"
· 6.00 pm Dinner
· 6.45 pm "Walk" and "Talk"
· 7.00 pm Group Discussion - lead – Kirtanman
· 8.00 pm Kirtans - lead - Kirtanman. 10 min rest.
· 9.30 pm head back to our rooms

Sunday:· 7.45 am Light breakfast
· 8.45 am 1st session - lead - Carson
· 10.00 am Question-Answer session - lead - Katrine, Kirtanman, Carson, Shanti.
· 11.15 am 10 min meditation to join global group with samyama for recipients
· 11.30 am Break
· 11.45 am Walk to Lunch
· 1.00 pm Thank Yous, Acknowledgments and Good-byes. (Shanti)
Notes:
1) Practice sessions includes Asanas (optional) 10min, spinal breathing 10min, meditation 20 min, samyama 10 min, rest 10 min. If you practice mudras and bandhas outside of the spinal breathing and meditation, you will follow and do your own sequence. We will set a time for meditation to start, and there will be enough time to complete anything that needs to be done, before meditation.

2) The cafeteria is a 10 min walk. So we will break 10 min before the meal times and have a "Walk" and "Talk" during this time.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  10:19:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
List of People who plan on attending this retreat:

Do let me know if you would like to sign up for the retreat or post a reply to this topic.

List of participants:
As we have more people confirm, I will add their names to this list.

Kami
Katrine
Shanti
Carson
Kirtanman
Parallax
Guy
dansineveryway
noru
Innercall
Julie
Mr_Anderson
R108
Rattan
Philip (philaboston)
Wakeupneo
Bewell
Cosmic
Rohini
Jhankhna
Shuchi

**Rooms Still Available**
Slots still available:
05 slots - room @ $170

Edited by - AYPforum on Oct 19 2010 08:05:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

Pheel

China
318 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2010 :  10:30:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Pheel's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Shanti,

I am requesting to join the retreat.

1. Name: Philip (philaboston);
2. Male;
3. no special dietary requirement.

Thank you and look forward to seeing you and other aypers!
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2010 :  08:20:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Philip,
Sending you an email with details.

Thank you for joining us.
Go to Top of Page

Sheila

USA
17 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2010 :  11:20:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shanti,

Is it too late to register for the retreat? If not, my particulars are as follows:

1. Name: Sheila
2. Female
3. No dietary restrictions.

thanks so much for organizing this. I look forward to meeting you in person.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2010 :  1:23:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Sheila

Hi Shanti,

Is it too late to register for the retreat? If not, my particulars are as follows:

1. Name: Sheila
2. Female
3. No dietary restrictions.

thanks so much for organizing this. I look forward to meeting you in person.

Hi Sheila,
Yes there are slots still available for the retreat. It will be great having you with us. I will have to do a bit of juggling with rooms to get us ladies in one room, but it's doable.

Will email you with the details on the retreat.

Thanks.
-Shanti
Go to Top of Page

Rattan

South Africa
41 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2010 :  10:14:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Read today a few haiku's that some of our fellow retreaters posted a while ago in AYP. Inspired me to try one, first ever:

flying for yoga
perhaps something useful there
stillness will answer

Time is fast approaching. Flying form Cape Town, South Africa to the retreat.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2010 :  10:38:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Super excited to meet and practice with you Rattan

Safe travels and we'll see you in PA.

Love!
Go to Top of Page

Emil

Australia
141 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2010 :  11:24:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all,
As I'm writing this, you guys are experiencing pure bliss consciousness. which is fair :) I just wanted to say, isn't one weekend a bit too short? I mean If I was going to attend this I would have to spend $3000 on air fare and fly for 20 hours and back which would be just too much for one weekend. However for a week long retreat I wouldn't mind making that sort of investment. Just as a suggestion.

Please update us with your experiences from the retreat.

Cheers,
Emil
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2010 :  1:55:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Emil

Hi all,
As I'm writing this, you guys are experiencing pure bliss consciousness. which is fair :) I just wanted to say, isn't one weekend a bit too short? I mean If I was going to attend this I would have to spend $3000 on air fare and fly for 20 hours and back which would be just too much for one weekend. However for a week long retreat I wouldn't mind making that sort of investment. Just as a suggestion.

Please update us with your experiences from the retreat.

Cheers,
Emil

Hi Emil:

The answer is to organize a retreat in Australia, assuming that is where you are. Plenty of AYP practitioners there. There are also possibilities for retreats in Asia. In time, we hope to have them going on everywhere. It is largely a function of those who are willing to make local arrangements (support for this can be made available by contacting me).

We are gradually having more experienced leaders available to come and run AYP retreats anywhere in the world, while training interested local practitioners/leaders to do the same. Lot's of opportunities...

All the best!

The guru is in you.

PS: Arrangements are currently in progress for a 5 day AYP retreat to be held March 20-25, 2011 at Kripalu Yoga Center in Massachusetts, USA. That is still a long way to come from Australia though.

Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2010 :  2:26:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
PPS: Local contacts for planning AYP meditation groups, training and retreats around the world (including Australia) can be found here: http://www.aypsite.org/events.html
That is a good place to start local/regional discussion for doing something.

For All: No matter where you are, if you would like to become a "planning contact" for local/regional AYP networking, let me know. It is not the kind of thing that produces a flood of email -- more of a long term networking thing to help get people with similar interests in touch.

Go to Top of Page

scottfitzgerald

USA
65 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2010 :  3:13:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
To all who made the retreat...how I can say, with detachment, that I am so jealous!!!!

I have let it go, realizing I am just part of the unfolding of a new life here in Alabama. Never thought I'd be saying that. :)

Enjoy and emanate the joy! Next time...

Big Love

Scott
Go to Top of Page

innercall

Canada
66 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2010 :  10:53:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello retreat friends,

Just wanted to say that we safely made it back to our house in Montreal

We're still filled with the silence and ecstasy of this wonderfull experience.

It was definatly the best 15 hours of driving that we spent.

Sending love to all of you!!

Max and Julie
Go to Top of Page

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2010 :  2:56:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Max and Julie,

It was great to meet you both. Same to everyone else who attended the retreat, really enjoyed meeting you all!

I will be sending everyone an e-mail with the names and e-mail addresses of everyone who was at the retreat so we can contact each other if anyone wants to. Should have time to do this by the end of the week, very busy right now. If you didn't put your name/e-mail address on the list, send me a PM and I will add you.

Josh
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2010 :  11:34:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just want to give an update on the retreat.

We tried to stay very close to the schedule that was decided on:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=8292#72180

The first session of meditation was lead by Katrine. It gave everyone their first taste of the immense silence that was about to unfold in the course of the next 48 hours.

We then walked down to the cafeteria, which was about a 15 min walk ... uphill (I know Carson and a few of the young people there may not agree, but talking while walking uphill is a challenge to some of us old folks )

Lunch

Then we walked back... much easier when it's downhill.

Katrine introduced Insight Dialogue. Kirtanman asked Katrine to continue with her session, since it seemed like flow. So we had our first Insight dialogue session followed by a few sharings.

Took a break at 4.00

4.30 we did a practice session lead by Carson. It had 15 min asana, followed by 10 min spinal breathing, 20 min meditation, 10 min samyama and 10 min rest.

We decided to drive down to dinner, since it got really dark on our way back and may not have been safe to walk the trail through the woods in the dark. Next time we will do a walk near the building after we are back. But yes, the second "walk" was skipped. I did not even realize it, till Katrine and Yogani pointed it out later. Sorry.

Group discussion lead by Kirtanman. The other leaders chimed in as well.

Katrine presented some beautiful flute music, poetry and sang. It was followed by some other participants singing. The theme was to share something that inspired us and we watched this video at Carson's request, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYyq...er_embedded. We ended the session with a kirtan lead by kirtanman.

Day 2:
We had a light breakfast (fruits/yogurt/cereal/bagel) for those who cannot do without breakfast (me for instance ).
Started our first session with Carson leading the asanas. Although it was very clear that asanas were optional, since almost everyone was very eager to join in the asanas, instead of doing 2 sessions of asanas, we did one extended session of asanas. We did the same starter kit, but we let people do it slowly and take their time staying and getting out of their postures.
I know this is not recommended by AYP, but, it was a modification we tried that many enjoyed more than us rushing through the starter kit the first day.

This was followed by
10 min spinal breathing + 20 min meditation + 10 min rest,
followed by Parallax leading
10 min spinal breathing + 20 min meditation + 10 min samyama + 10 min rest.

We took a break for those who had not eaten any breakfast.

We had a question answer session.

We walked and talked to lunch and back (yes it was still uphill on our way there ).

Katrine lead a second Insight dialogue session. Followed by sharing.

Break

I was not going to do an asana routine, but decided to let people know about the the bus-stop asana routine. Then 10 min spinal breathing + 20 min meditation + 10 min samyama + 10 min rest.

Dinner

We skipped the group discussion as the stillness in the group by now was at it's peak and we went right into kirtans.

Session of Kirtans lead by Kirtanman.

Day 3:
We had a light breakfast

Started our session with Carson leading the asanas. This was followed by
10 min spinal breathing + 20 min meditation + 10 min samyama + 10 min rest.

Break for those who did not have breakfast.

Question answer session. It flowed to keep going, so we skipped joining the Global Group meditation. Followed by a session of sharing our experience at the retreat.

Walk and talk.

Lunch.

Good-byes.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2010 :  11:40:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Please do take a look at AYP Retreat Experience

I was indeed lucky to have been a part of this. There really are no words to describe this experience. But may add something to that topic when words flow.

Thank you ALL for making my first retreat (attending and organizing) an experience beyond imagination. I cannot express in words the gratitude I feel for all of you and Yogani for making this possible.

_/\_ Thank You_/\_
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000