Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Uddiyana bandha question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tantor

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  3:34:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

When I apply uddiyana bandha along with mulabandha and jalandhara bandha, should I feel energy rising up sushumna while I hold the locks, or should I just feel a rush when I release them and inhale?

If I inhale a little before applying maha bandha, I feel energy rise through sushumna when I apply the lock. If I don't inhale a little first, I don't feel any energy when the lock is applied, but I feel a rush when I release it.

Which is the correct way? Should I feel energy rising while the lock is applied, and if so, do I just need to work on how to do this without taking a small inhalation first (i.e. is this bad?)

Thanks

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  4:28:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tantor,

Feeling energy isn't a requisite for any of the bandhas. The important thing is to apply them during practices if you have reached that stage. If you are practicing AYP, and have reached the appropriate lesson, then you would apply uddiyana bandha during spinal breathing along with mulabandha and sambhavi, so you will be breathing in and out with the locks and mudras applied. This is more important than feeling specific energy flows.

Gradually you will feel a gentle rising current going up inside your body when the locks are applied. This will happen whether you are breathing in, or out, or the breath is suspended.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

tantor

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  4:40:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Christi

Gradually you will feel a gentle rising current going up inside your body when the locks are applied.

Christi

Hi Christi,

If this applies to uddiyana bandha as well as mulabandha that's great -- although I'm experiencing something much more intense than the gentle current I feel from mulabandha alone, but I suppose that's why it's called uddiyana, "flying up" lock.

I'll play with it more and see if I can feel the same sensation without the initial inhalation.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  09:15:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tantor,
yes the name is both because of the upward energy-pull feeling and the physical movement & look of the belly when you move it all the way towards the spine (a.k.a. 'therapeutical level' bandha). In combined practice however (pranayama, asana, tantra) there are subtle activations rather than the full movement, so they neither move much nor look very special.
A Satyananda yoga trick I find helpful when finishing a retention (kumbhaka) is to take the breath a hair's breadth longer for just a second, first, that is a microinhalation after antara kumbhaka (then a full ex.), or microexh. after bahya kumbhaka (and then a full inh. ).
Bahya kumbhaka with bandhas also crates an underpressure in the belly, 'vacuum cleaning' the sexual energy & fluids from the Mouladhara area further up; this makes it a good add-on to mudras during tantra.
Go to Top of Page

tantor

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  3:14:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by HathaTeacher
... the upward energy-pull feeling

Hmm, what I experience without taking the initial small inhalation I mentioned is similar to the feeling of suction through a straw where the end is blocked. However, with the little inhalation first, it's like I'm sucking up through a straw, and something is flowing through it. So in the first place there's a feeling of an energy-pull, but in the latter, there is actually an energy movement. The second feels much more potent, since the longer I hold it, the more energy flows. With the first, there's only an energy flow when I release the bandha.

Since you say that in combined practice the movements are more subtle anyway, this actually helps -- if I make the movements more subtle, energy flows, so I guess that's the right way.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000