New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Lili

Netherlands
372 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  07:51:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi Folks,

I increasingly started to dislike drinking alcohol even very rarely and in small amounts (e.g. 1 glass of wine). 6 months ago I had to discontinue smoking as could not stand it any longer. In other words I didn't quit intentionally, but rather could not contine (if that makes sense). I was not a heavy smoker (0-5 per day), but did smoke for 15 years. Now I am afraid the same is happening to alcohol, which I was never addicted to, but now I find I don't react well to even small amounts, and also find alcohol taste repulsive. Any thoughts? Lili

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  08:26:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My experience is exactly the same.
I did not give up drinking alcohol, it gave up on me.
Go to Top of Page

sagebrush

USA
292 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  08:26:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am not too sure why you are afraid that you no longer would want to drink alcohol. From my perspective that would seem like a bonus. Not only are you going to save huge amount of money, alcohol is not offering any benefit to a healthy life. I do hear reports on drinking a glass of red wine may be helpful for some heart reason, but not sure if this is true.

I do drink. Today, I would not consider myself in the mood to consume alcohol. But, I do drink and go thru cycles of drinking alot and then not drinking at all. Mostly, I drink because of nerves or anxiety..like it seems to ease my social ackwardness/fears. Or maybe now and then I love a few cold beers after, lets say, mowing the lawn. HOwever......it never seems to agree with me. I get very moody and fiesty, and always regret having drank anything.

It is a trap, and I get stuck in it. So, consider yourself lucky or blessed that you may no longer be hooked into that.

Go to Top of Page

Clear White Light

USA
229 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  08:57:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I very rarely drink. But I drank only occasionally even before beginning meditation and yoga practices. However, beginning daily meditation quickly decreased my already low alcohol intake to pretty much 0. Mostly I gave it up because of the effect it has on my mind and ability to concentrate later when I try to meditate. I gave up red meat for the same reason.

It's good to stop using these things. They are fine in moderation, but even in moderation they can interfere with the effectiveness of our practices.
Go to Top of Page

Lili

Netherlands
372 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  09:58:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Folks,

Good to know this can happen. I am somewhat alarmed though because I did not have an alcohol problem--was drinking approximately once a month and very little, now can't even do that. I wonder after smoking and alcohol, what's next
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  10:52:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Lili and All

I personally totally still enjoy having a beer or two. I can't remember the last time I got drunk, but when I go out with friends to a hockey game, or work on house renovations, or dozens of other scenarios, I still quite enjoy having a drink or two. I think what has changed for me in this regards is the intention behind drinking. Before it was "escapism" for lack of a better term....trying to take myself out of the "pain of reality" a bit (or a lot )....now, it is more with the intention of celebrating existence. I love the taste of beer, I love the social aspect of having a drink with friends, I just all around like having a beer at times. I really don't think there is anything "wrong" with enjoying a drink (or NOT enjoying a drink), I think it is all a matter of personal preference and the intention behind drinking that makes it "ok" or not for someone involved in spiritual practices. But, that said, everything is subject to change at any time. I felt the same way about marijuana not so long ago. I quit smoking weed chronically quite a while ago, but I would enjoy having a toke or two with friends or in dozens of other situations....now, I really don't tolerate it well at all (which is strange for someone who smoked a quarter ounce or more of high quality bud everyday for over a dozen years). I can't even have one lungful when I am around others (as it makes me quite anti-social and makes me just want to do yoga practices) and I don't enjoy it even when I am alone. SO, this could easily happen with alcohol as well, but it hasn't yet, and I am not trying to "make it happen" either. I've surrendered to this entire process and I will enjoy what I enjoy....until I don't anymore.

Love!
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  11:20:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Lili,

Yes, the same thing happened to me a while back. I started having strong reactions to alcohol and had to give it up completely, which was a shame because I really liked it.

quote:
I wonder after smoking and alcohol, what's next

White sugar, refined wheat, chocolate and sex, in that order. Sorry to have to break it to you like that.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  11:28:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi

quote:
Originally posted by Christi

White sugar, refined wheat, chocolate and sex, in that order. Sorry to have to break it to you like that.

I don't think that is "the order" for everyone (probably goes without saying though). Personally I have already cut out all white sugar, refined wheat and chocolate, but I still enjoy beer and sex, sometimes even together. Don't forget about meat too....I think that is something that also gets dropped at some point as well.

Love!
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  11:48:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Carson,

quote:
I don't think that is "the order" for everyone (probably goes without saying though). Personally I have already cut out all white sugar, refined wheat and chocolate, but I still enjoy beer and sex, sometimes even together.

Could be a slightly different order in Canada.

quote:
Don't forget about meat too....I think that is something that also gets dropped at some point as well.

I stopped eating meat 24 years ago (voluntarily), so I don't know how that fits into the purification picture.
Go to Top of Page

JDH

USA
331 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  11:49:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hahaha!

Went from about 10 drinks a week, down to about 1 drink per month since starting AYP. Not on purpose - just not feeling the enjoyment from it anymore, but still feeling the hangovers.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  11:55:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Could be a slightly different order in Canada.

Always with the location distinctions

quote:

I stopped eating meat 24 years ago (voluntarily), so I don't know how that fits into the purification picture.

I was a vegetarian from the age of 16 (when I got my first pet) until October 2008 (a total of 11 years) after having the kundalini awakened....then I REQUIRED meat to help combat some of the energetic symptoms (energy stuck in the head).....have yet to drop it again, but I can already feel it is on it's way out.

Love!

P.S. I was a REALLY unhealthy vegetarian....I lived off 3 cheese pizza pops and veggie Subway sandwhiches.

Edited by - CarsonZi on May 12 2010 11:58:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  12:07:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Carson,

quote:
Always with the location distinctions

You know what they say... location, location, location.

quote:
I was a vegetarian from the age of 16 (when I got my first pet) until October 2008 (a total of 11 years) after having the kundalini awakened....then I REQUIRED meat to help combat some of the energetic symptoms (energy stuck in the head).....have yet to drop it again, but I can already feel it is on it's way out.

Yes, I considered re-introducing meat during one phase of my kundalini awakening a few years ago, but decided not to for ethical and purity reasons.

quote:
P.S. I was a REALLY unhealthy vegetarian....I lived off 3 cheese pizza pops and veggie Subway sandqhiches.

Sounds like you are doing really well now.

Congrats.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  12:30:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

You know what they say... location, location, location.

Hahaha

quote:

Yes, I considered re-introducing meat during one phase of my kundalini awakening a few years ago, but decided not to for ethical and purity reasons.

Yeah I get that. It was hard for me to break my "meat-fast"... I felt like I was "backsliding"..... but it was really the only thing that made the difference and made that part of the awakening bearable (the only thing I could find anyways).

quote:

Sounds like you are doing really well now.

Yes, much much better....healthier in every aspect I can think of. Dropped the drugs, dropped the self-torture, dropped the anger, dropped the need to be "right", dropped basically everything that was causing suffering. Now the only thing that seems to still cause me to suffer is the near constant desire for sexual intimacy. But even with that desire/attachment still intact, it is a much more peaceful and enjoyable existence now....something worth celebrating every single moment of every day .... All thanks to the AYPractices and the support of all of you here......prostrations at the feet of every single one of you. _/\_

Love!
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  12:37:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, couldn't agree more with all posts above! For me it happened absolutely involuntarily and I'm (read: the mind is) still pissed off about it!

For me the order was:

nicotine (was addicted to both cigarettes and the Swedish speciality snus = snuff I think in English)
meat (fish is still ok though, once in a while when I need grounding with heavier food)
alcohol
sex
coffee
black tea
dairies

and just lately I'm starting to feel that

white sugar
refined wheat and
chocolate

is soon to be banned since the stomach gets really upset from it.

Why is the mind pissed off? Cause it's not getting anything in exchange. Life is just getting more and more ascetic and boring.

If I'm also gonna be on a pitta diet and a sugar free diet overall to get rid of candida (which I suspect is one reason why the stomach is upset, I've eaten penicillin which makes candida grow)... there's almost nothing left to eat or drink that's fun in any way. Rice and broccoli. That's it, sort of. And that is torture for a pitta, since I'm ALWAYS hungry and interested in food and I can't stand an empty fridge...

It's funny, though, cause after approx 4 years with no alcohol, I tried some a few weeks ago - and was surprised to find it didn't affect me at all. I didn't feel any "dizziness" or anything else from it, and no hang over the day after. It might be going in phases what you can take or not take during the purification process...?

Edited by - emc on May 12 2010 12:48:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lili

Netherlands
372 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  12:51:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:
I wonder after smoking and alcohol, what's next

Oh oh -- you're right it's a bit abrupt i already dropped sugar and refined wheat, also moved from regular to dark chockolate--so not much left for me really

Tried to become vegetarian too but still have cravings so didn't quite succeed
Go to Top of Page

Lili

Netherlands
372 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  12:55:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi

Hi Lili and All
I personally totally still enjoy having a beer or two. I love the taste of beer, I love the social aspect of having a drink with friends, I just all around like having a beer at times. I really don't think there is anything "wrong" with enjoying a drink (or NOT enjoying a drink)

I agree with you Carson--have one to my health and to the health of Christi and EMC next time

Edited by - Lili on May 12 2010 12:57:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  1:02:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Lili,

quote:
Oh oh -- you're right it's a bit abrupt i already dropped sugar and refined wheat, also moved from regular to dark chockolate--so not much left for me really

Enjoy the dark chocolate whilst you still can.

Edited by - Christi on May 12 2010 1:44:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  1:07:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi carson,
quote:
Yes, much much better....healthier in every aspect I can think of. Dropped the drugs, dropped the self-torture, dropped the anger, dropped the need to be "right", dropped basically everything that was causing suffering. Now the only thing that seems to still cause me to suffer is the near constant desire for sexual intimacy. But even with that desire/attachment still intact, it is a much more peaceful and enjoyable existence now....something worth celebrating every single moment of every day .... All thanks to the AYPractices and the support of all of you here......prostrations at the feet of every single one of you. _/\_

Pranams.
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  2:20:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  3:22:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Lili and all,

On a more serious note, here is an exerpt from an email Yogani sent to me once when I asked him about increasing my practice times during a period when I was becoming very sensitive to certain foods. He gave me permission to reproduce what he said here:

"Once purification and opening become stabilized, sensitivity to foods and environmental factors becomes much less, and we can eat foods we could not along the way, though we may not be inclined to. So the higher sensitivity isn't only about the food or anything else that may be regarded as "toxic." It is also about the rate of purification that is occurring and the nervous system's process of adaption to the new dynamic.

So the sensitivities are a symptom of purification and opening. Because the sensitivities are there, increasing purification and opening could increase the sensitivities, leading to more discomfort. The rash episode and other notable collapses in the Secrets of Wilder story were included to illustrate the point."[Yogani]

So it looks like food and drink sensitivities are just a stage of the purification process. Good news for us all, on many levels.

Christi

Edited by - Christi on May 12 2010 3:33:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  3:42:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hehe, when we finally can go back to sex, drugs and rock'n roll... we're not gonna want to have it...

It's like one of my teachers told me:
- Now I'm old and supposed to live on my memories... but I have forgotten all of them!?

Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  3:59:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

Lili

Netherlands
372 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  4:42:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Hi Lili,

quote:

Enjoy the dark chocolate whilst you still can.

Hehe Christi glad the British humour is the last to drop on the list (which is why you didn't even list it)

Guess as you say makes sense to settle for dark chockolate--while I still can
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  4:51:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Lili,

quote:
Hehe Christi glad the British humour is the last to drop on the list (which is why you didn't even list it)

If I ever loose that I'll give up yoga. Everything else I can live without.
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  01:48:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Lili
I increasingly started to dislike drinking alcohol... discontinue smoking...

If the quality of food can alter the state of your mind.

The state of your mind can alter the likes of your food.
Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  11:48:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi :)
I haven't had a drink for about 27 years.

:0

TI
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000