Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Yoga, Science and Philosophy
 Study: Yogi Hasn't Ingested Food/Water For 70 Yrs.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - May 01 2010 :  1:07:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message

News Story: Indian Man Claims to have had no food or drink for 70 years .

Really, apparently.

Well, at least for ten days of it ... that's been verified.

More verification is happening, currently, per the news story, linked above.

The main reasons I'm posting this story are:

1. The Indian military (specifically the Defence Institute of Physiology & Allied Sciences) is thinking like we (AYPers) think:

Understanding the effects of yogic practices scientifically can have far-reaching effects for the population at large, potentially, once it has been determined that anyone can replicate the practices and their effects.

2. The yogi featured in the story claims that his ability to survive on life-force alone (and therefore/thereby not to need any food or water at all, ever, for over 70 years ... he's 82 years old), is due to being "sustained by a goddess who pours an 'elixir' through a hole in his palate."

Quite a few AYPers are familiar with this exilir (aka nectar, aka amrita) ... my mouth is filling with its pleasant taste as I write these words.

I'm guessing the "hole in his palate" may be a slight misunderstanding due to a wording/language thing, and/or that's what the yogi may have been told, to keep the explanation simple for him (the yogi has worked with a doctor familiar with such things, per the news story).

I'm guessing that the "hole" may well be referring, simply, to the area above the soft-palate where many of us feel like sticking our tongues on a frequent basis (aka the area above the soft-palate which is utilized in Khechari Mudra Stage 2 and beyond).

While I don't recall/know all facets of "nectar-related" physiology myself, my understanding is that nectar is generated (seemingly, at least) in/from the brain (and/or glands housed within the brain ... i.e. pituitary or pineal), and then it secretes down into the palate areas, throat and mouth through membranes, rather than through a "hole".

Either way, I'm guessing our friend the "perma-fasting" yogi gained his food-and-drink-free condition in part, via practices that many of us know very well (spinal breathing, deep meditation, Khechari, amaroli, etc. etc.).

However ... I'm *also* guessing that the ability to go without food and water for and extended period of time, probably involve some additional practices and intentions.

I mean, some of us do fast, and AYP does enable some of us to go without food and drink for extended periods of time ... this past week, I actually had lunch almost 45 minutes late, one day!

(As In: there are some AYPers who can likely provide at least some guidance on principles and practices of fasting .... and .... I am most certainly not one of them. )

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - May 02 2010 :  06:50:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kirtanman,

Maybe you could skip a meal, and then report back on how it went? Did the divine energies flood in to try and keep your body alive etc?
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - May 02 2010 :  1:41:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Christi

Hi Kirtanman,

Maybe you could skip a meal, and then report back on how it went? Did the divine energies flood in to try and keep your body alive etc?

Well, I might be tempted ..... but have truly taken Yogani's suggestions that a balanced, "middle way" type of approach is best ....... and so, extreme ascetic practices of the type you're suggesting are not of the type I would wish to promote, even if I managed to survive the ordeal.

"PS" ..... Yes, I am kidding; I've actually done a bit of fasting in my time ..... I was more just joking around, per the fact that, generally-speaking ..... the yogi covered in the news story ..... and I .... are more or less at the opposite end of the spectrum, dietary-restriction wise.

Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - May 02 2010 :  4:23:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kirtanman,

On a more serious note, one interesting thing about this case is that this yogi says that amrita is produced, even though he doesn't eat or drink. I remember Yogani once saying that food intake was necessary for the nectar cycle to take place. Have you experimented with this? Is amrita still produced when you are fasting?

Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - May 02 2010 :  4:52:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hello K-man and Christy, i used to do a lot of fasting before having my kundalini awakened and after that it simply led me into overload... but since the awakening of the manipura and the whole soma and amrita stuff taking place i've found it easier to fast again but haven't done so for more than a day or two.

there was some liquid intake and a little fruit intake once a day but overall i could last without food for a long while but not without water... and yes the amrita stuff seems to keep on being produced while fasting but then again it's the body eating it's own protein because of the weight loss that will happen so nope that Indian fellow is at a whole other level.

just my modest experience, but then again i'm a beginner at this whole amrita and soma stuff...

namaste
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  06:21:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ananda,

Good to hear about your experiences, thanks for sharing.
Go to Top of Page

tadeas

Czech Republic
314 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  07:37:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The last time I read about such a study being done, the man didn't eat or dronk for the period, but he lost weight in the process, which is not sustainable over the years
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  4:19:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tadeas,

If Prahlad Jani can survive for 10 days without food or water then he will already have made medical history (I think he has done that already). But agreed, if he is losing weight, he'll have problems down the line.

Watch this space, as they say.
Go to Top of Page

mimirom

Czech Republic
368 Posts

Posted - May 10 2010 :  05:11:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit mimirom's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all,

check this lady.

quote:
From the years of 1922 until her death in 1962, Therese Neumann apparently consumed no food other than The Holy Eucharist, and claimed to have drunk no water from 1926 until her death.
In July 1927 a medical doctor and four Franciscan nurses kept a watch on her 24 hours a day for a two-week period. They confirmed that she had consumed nothing except for one consecrated sacred Host a day, and had suffered no ill effects, loss of weight, or dehydration.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - May 10 2010 :  1:44:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all,

He survived for 2 weeks and has now gone home. Looks like nobody has a clue how he is doing it.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/18/2010051...451ab4f.html
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - May 10 2010 :  3:19:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all,

At the very end of this video he explains the secret of how he lives without food and water. He is collecting the amrita which trickles down into his throat and rubs it onto his crown chakra. I knew he must be cheating!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewoD...ture=related

Edited by - Christi on May 10 2010 3:23:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - May 10 2010 :  3:20:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Mimirom,

Thanks for that link, Therese Neumann is a very inspiring lady.
Go to Top of Page

nirmal

Germany
438 Posts

Posted - May 11 2010 :  08:36:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I remember a story about this man several years ago, and it is my
recollection that this man was sustaned by sunlight, giving credence to the benefits and healing capacity of the sun. There was much more info about him, if anyone wants to check it out.

nirmal

Go to Top of Page

Jo-self

USA
225 Posts

Posted - May 14 2010 :  3:20:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jo-self's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Of course, skeptical people have discussed cases like these and no proof was found. A true study would have isolated the individual. Thus, the topic title is incorrect. All the study has found is six days. I think I've done more than that without even noticing it when I was young.

Go to Top of Page

Shivoham

India
107 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  06:45:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shivoham's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I feel no wonder seeing this. I have a friend who do not need food to sustain. He is a Surya yogi. But our guru has advised him not to completely stop eating. so he eats fruits sometimes.
Go to Top of Page

perdev

Nepal
7 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  01:10:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit perdev's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I also could not digest this truth. Its the direct challenge to medical science. Who can live without food and water for such a long period of time? As per medicine, we need certain amount of energy even for breathing and heartbeat something calculated as Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR). And the calorific requirements are fulfilled by the intake of food and water.
But i think more research should be done.....if our body consists of certain organs (hidden) which activates after being yogi or practice certain kind of meditation.
If a person can live without food and water, then he is not less than GOD....

Edited by - AYPforum on Jul 22 2010 02:54:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

Scorpio1987uk

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
57 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2010 :  11:33:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well I am not sure if this comment belongs here, but I distinctly remember eating in my dreams, the incredible thing is I could actually taste the food, maybe hes cheating and having a 10 course feast every time he/she goes to sleep :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000