Healthcare - Holistic and Modern
 Body Mass Index Calculator
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lesliehammond713

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  7:47:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit lesliehammond713's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
BMI calculations allege that for being 5 foot 5 inches I should weigh btween 97-120 lbs. My doctor states that I should weigh 160 lbs, which is a great deal more than what the calculator states. How can this be?
I do have a large figure, and wide shoulders, and a german physique, but I still don't get her logic, So what should I listen to BMI or my Dr.?
I think she's correct, but I'm still uncertain.

brunoloff

Netherlands
47 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  03:35:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit brunoloff's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I would suggest not to calculate the ideal body weight using BMI. The important factor here is not weight/height, it is the percentage of fat in body weight (weight of fat/total weight). This can be accurately measured using a body fat caliper.
Go to Top of Page

tomwhite55

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2010 :  10:18:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In regards to the BMI calculator, I have been using an online Body Mass Index calculator from a weight loss website called http://www.FitClick.com. The BMI calculator is a great way to calculate your body mass and percentage of fat and jump start your workouts to lower your body fat and/or increase your muscle size. Breaking it down for people looking to enhance their weight loss is a great idea; it helps me comprehend the topic a little better (which is good right?)

Thanks for your community contribution, I appreciate it :D
Tom
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000